Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I believe Larsson can be useful player and would balance our defense nicely but...

Not at 4+ mill. We should have been able to resign him at 2.5 or less based on his performance. I just don't get what people are thinking. Larsson at 4+ is worse than the Kassian contract by miles.

Neim from a small sample size could easily replace a lot of what Larsson brings for a fraction of the price. Barring his LD status.

Larsson was great, omfg terrible, even started his last year with us omfg terrible before finishing the year "solid" enough. Aka far more bad than good.

The mistake was signing Barrie just because he was there rather than actually doing research and brining in a much more useful defender for much cheaper. Holland being Holland.

As good as Barrie was for us last year I can't help but think signing Barrie was a mistake even last year. Bouchard does everything he can and then some even as a rookie.
Larsson on a good team plays extremely difficult defensive minutes and tends to break even while bringing a physical presence. We’re not even sure Markus can stay afloat in a bottom pair role let alone a tough minute top 4 role. Larsson is a top 4 D man and those don’t go for 2.5.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Means nothing. He's on a terrible team playing top comp.

I think he is a pretty useless player to be fair, but in his situation +/- is irrelevant.

I agree he is a pretty useless player , but I think the +/- is very relevant.

He had a career worst -28 with us. The same year McDrai both had over 100 points. If anything I think we were a better team that year than Seattle is rn.

Stats pretty much show, not much good happens when he’s on the ice. Unlike Bouchard, good breakout passes and good scoring opportunities rarely occurred when Lars was on the ice

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Larsson was actually -28 with us when McDrai both had over 100 points. If anything I think we were a better team than Seattle is rn. Larsson is just bad end of story

He had a career worst -28 with us. The same year McDrai both had over 100 points. If anything I think we were a better team that year than Seattle is rn.

Stats pretty much show, not much good happens when he’s on the ice. Unlike Bouchard, good breakout passes and good scoring opportunities rarely occurred when Lars was on the ice

I was one of the few supporters of the Larsson trade when it happened. I followed Larsson closely prior to the trade. He was the Devils #1 the year prior to being traded and only getting better. Plus on a great deal. His first year with us he was awesome. Every single pundit on TV cited the Oilers winning that trade after that first year... That's how good Larsson was.

Was is the key word.

Since that 2016 season he has been far more bad than good.

As said above. Larsson is bad and been bad for a long long time. Nuff said.

Reactions: Magnum23

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

The year where McDrai both hit 100+ points and were both also minus players themselves?

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I was one of the few supporters of the Larsson trade when it happened. I followed Larsson closely prior to the trade. He was the Devils #1 the year prior to being traded and only getting better. Plus on a great deal. His first year with us he was awesome. Every single pundit on TV cited the Oilers winning that trade after that first year... That's how good Larsson was.

Was is the key word.

Since that 2016 season he has been far more bad than good.

As said above. Larsson is bad and been bad for a long long time. Nuff said.

He was great 2016, but injurys made him struggle at times after that, it was up and down, losing his father, and then Klefbom got longtime injured and it took time before the D core settled in.

Must important though, he had a very good last season with us, especially after cristmas.

Seeing our D this season, no cover, no one punish intruders in the crease, softness around the boards and a poor Pk.

He is very missed in my book and had been good value for 4-4.2 m.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Bouchard is having a great season thus far and it’s hardly been discussed. This is essentially his rookie year and he’s on pace for 20 goals and over 40 points, when pre season most said a 20-25 point season should be his expectation with limited PP minutes. He’s arguably the best in the NHL at just getting the puck on net and making the goalie make a tricky save or having it be put in on the rebound, or like last night having it bounce his way. Not to mention he’s got a bomb as well to use. He was second only to Nurse last night in ice time on D, he was leading the team in the second intermission. For how long this team has been looking for a very good young defenseman Bouchard is exceeding expectations with only 60 NHL games played.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Bouchard is having a great season thus far and it’s hardly been discussed. This is essentially his rookie year and he’s on pace for 20 goals and over 40 points, when pre season most said a 20-25 point season should be his expectation with limited PP minutes. He’s arguably the best in the NHL at just getting the puck on net and making the goalie make a tricky save or having it be put in on the rebound, or like last night having it bounce his way. Not to mention he’s got a bomb as well to use. He was second only to Nurse last night in ice time on D, he was leading the team in the second intermission. For how long this team has been looking for a very good young defenseman Bouchard is exceeding expectations with only 60 NHL games played.

Having followed Bouchard closely since just before the draft he is doing exactly.... exactly what I think many who have followed Bouchard predicted.

The good: Elite puck moving, vision, and shooting. When I say elite I mean NHL level elite. Some people just dont realise how good. I think his performance in this year solidifies that he actually should have been in the NHL last year but in a lesser role.

The bad: Average NHL skating. Questionable defensive awareness. It does need to be noted that despite those obvious deficiencies those deficiencies are only really apparent because he is facing top quality of competition most nights paired with Nurse. However however it also needs to be noted that Nurse is likely covering for many minor mistakes as his defensive partner. One also has to remember some of his success piggybacks off the best two players in the world.

Bouchard is the perfect partner for Nurse since with his speed and physicality he can cover a lot of Bouchards mistakes.

Its too bad Barrie sucks this year. About the only good thing about Barrie was that his presence should have been able to keep Bouchards offensive success down a bit for a cheaper contract moving forward. Now the book is out and Bouchard is obviously THE best offensive defenseman the Oilers have while only being in his first full year.

I hope he can work on his skating a bit more. I hope he ups his physicality and defensive awareness. Those are his weaknesses but not technically "weak" IMO. Just NHL average instead of insanely good like the rest of his skill set.

He has the legitimate chance to be an elite #1 defenseman like Drew Doughty for example if he can take those weaknesses of his and improve upon them. As it stands, even with average skating, his offensive ceiling is off the charts on a team as offensively gifted as the Oilers are.

I really like that his skill set actually compliments the team very well and gives them a significantly different offensive weapon. A threat from the point like him every time he is on the ice in addition to McDrai is... just gross. I see he actually still defers a bit too much to McDavid. The less he does that the better the team gets.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Bouchard Will be a 9 million per defenseman
Question is where will that be ?

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
With Bouchard's development this year, it actually makes me dislike Barrie's contract that much more. If Bouch continues to get reps on the 1st line PP (which I hope he does), that is going to really reduce Barrie's role on the team.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
With Bouchard's development this year, it actually makes me dislike Barrie's contract that much more. If Bouch continues to get reps on the 1st line PP (which I hope he does), that is going to really reduce Barrie's role on the team.

Barrie's first contract was a mistake. His second is an atrocity that needs to go asap. If Holland could possibly recognize his mistake asap he could actually trade Barrie for an asset or a defender no where near as flashy but fits the team better.

At least Keith is off the books when Bouchard gets his bridge deal. I'm very scared at what Holland will do with that contract. Hopefully he is not allowed to negotiate that one since that should be his final year mucking up the team.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Say what you want, but he is clutch, and having a great shot is a prt of it.
Oilers has so many Offensive D men, Nurse, Bouch, Barrie, Kieth, and soon to be Broberg.
Yes, it was a problem before, but now we need to balance it out (not to steer it to the other way - balance it with a D)
Nurse is expensive as hell, but is unmatched on the team for what he brings, he is the 1D, say what you want. 9 million is idiotic salary, but he is to important. Bouch is clutch, Kieth is a vet prescence that is probalby needed, brings 2 way hockey. Good numbers.
Broberg.. is to be.
Barrie... well, he was good. Still is OK. But everything he do, Bouch is just better and more clutch.
What really is the need of Barrie here? His defense is awful

I see no reason to keep Barrie at trading deadline, Bouch is younger, better, and has the future ahead of him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bouchard's been excellent for a young player earning significant responsibility with only 60 NHL games under his belt. There are two parts to his game that belay both his maturation and his developmental components moving towards putting together a pretty high end top pair NHL defenseman.

His offensive game is clearly defined and mature with smart decision making, elite shot, and the ability to get pucks through and on net whether via big slapper or more subtle shots with a goodly array of options. Defensively, we see ability to manage big minutes and to take on PK responsibilities. Though the developmental growth work is in his defending - maintaining his structure and positioning (versus chasing), gap control, net front defending against big, assertive forward presence. But realistically this is mainly about a guy with a strong processor just continuing to get better with more game experience than the 60 he's accrued to date.

With a retooled defense, Bouchard has been a revelation stepping up to take on top pair minutes and responsibilities. Larsson's loss is a big one in terms of big minute, shutdown physical role against other team's bigs, and Bouchard while not a replacement is earning big ice and responsibilities to help win games.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Say what you want, but he is clutch, and having a great shot is a prt of it.
Oilers has so many Offensive D men, Nurse, Bouch, Barrie, Kieth, and soon to be Broberg.
Yes, it was a problem before, but now we need to balance it out (not to steer it to the other way - balance it with a D)
Nurse is expensive as hell, but is unmatched on the team for what he brings, he is the 1D, say what you want. 9 million is idiotic salary, but he is to important. Bouch is clutch, Kieth is a vet prescence that is probalby needed, brings 2 way hockey. Good numbers.
Broberg.. is to be.
Barrie... well, he was good. Still is OK. But everything he do, Bouch is just better and more clutch.
What really is the need of Barrie here? His defense is awful

I see no reason to keep Barrie at trading deadline, Bouch is younger, better, and has the future ahead of him.
I'm not so sure Broberg is going to be a big offensive force. More of a Jay Boumeester type.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Which if it’s being done in a way that sacrifices winning games is one of the dumber possible things this organization can do. And this organization is known for doing dumb things.
Welcome to the salary cap era. Hope you enjoy your stay.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
NHL rules don't make sense. How is Bouchard not considered a rookie for Calder voting yet a 24 year old Panarin with multiple KHL seasons under his belt was considered a rookie? Bouchard would have a serious case for the Calder trophy. I think it would still be won by either Seidler or Zegras but he'd finish top 5 in voting.

Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
That would be a big mistake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad