Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If Bouch can continue to prove he is the point man for the PP, there is absolutely no reason for Barrie to be here, because that is the main reason they signed him. Holland has some work this off season to get rid of that contract. Yet another one to try to dump (sigh).
I don’t think Barrie is a dump at all. He has great value to any team who needs a productive right shot pp guy.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No one should be surprised by Bouchard's offensive production. He literally put up some of the best points totals by a Dman in the OHL in the past 20 years. I’m pretty sure the only reason he’s not getting consistent PP minutes is to keep his next contract size down.

Which if it’s being done in a way that sacrifices winning games is one of the dumber possible things this organization can do. And this organization is known for doing dumb things.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe not a dump per say, but one more guy that we need to move.

He is actually one of the few guys I think we could move without really hurting the team much. Bouchard more than replaces him on the PP, and then you need somebody to fill his ES mins, but its not like Barrie is somewhat sort of stalwart at evens anyhow. Honestly, you could probably move Russell over to the right side, and bring Broberg up for the 3rd pairing left side and I bet we aren't really much worse off, if at all, at evens.

You can then do something with the player you get back for Barrie. I'm not saying we HAVE to trade him, but I think the option is certainly there.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
No one should be surprised by Bouchard's offensive production. He literally put up some of the best points totals by a Dman in the OHL in the past 20 years. I’m pretty sure the only reason he’s not getting consistent PP minutes is to keep his next contract size down.
I think this is part of it but the other is trying to get Barrie going.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Which if it’s being done in a way that sacrifices winning games is one of the dumber possible things this organization can do. And this organization is known for doing dumb things.

Exactly. Let him tear other team's PK's to shreds and flirt with 20 goals in a season. Move out Barrie and get a solid 2 way RD to round out our RD. Bouch is getting paid regardless, he is a top young defenseman and by far our best offensive weapon from the blueline.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Meanwhile Larsson is team worst -17 on Seattle, we might have dodge a bullet by not being able to keep him
Means nothing. He's on a terrible team playing top comp.

I think he is a pretty useless player to be fair, but in his situation +/- is irrelevant.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Meanwhile Larsson is team worst -17 on Seattle, we might have dodge a bullet by not being able to keep him

Players who play lots of minutes on bad teams usually end up leading in the minus.

Means nothing. He's on a terrible team playing top comp.

I think he is a pretty useless player to be fair, but in his situation +/- is irrelevant.

I believe Larsson can be useful player and would balance our defense nicely but...

Not at 4+ mill. We should have been able to resign him at 2.5 or less based on his performance. I just don't get what people are thinking. Larsson at 4+ is worse than the Kassian contract by miles.

Neim from a small sample size could easily replace a lot of what Larsson brings for a fraction of the price. Barring his LD status.

Larsson was great, omfg terrible, even started his last year with us omfg terrible before finishing the year "solid" enough. Aka far more bad than good.

The mistake was signing Barrie just because he was there rather than actually doing research and brining in a much more useful defender for much cheaper. Holland being Holland.

As good as Barrie was for us last year I can't help but think signing Barrie was a mistake even last year. Bouchard does everything he can and then some even as a rookie.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I believe Larsson can be useful player and would balance our defense nicely but...

Not at 4+ mill. We should have been able to resign him at 2.5 or less based on his performance. I just don't get what people are thinking. Larsson at 4+ is worse than the Kassian contract by miles.

Neim from a small sample size could easily replace a lot of what Larsson brings for a fraction of the price. Barring his LD status.

Larsson was great, omfg terrible, even started his last year with us omfg terrible before finishing the year "solid" enough. Aka far more bad than good.

The mistake was signing Barrie just because he was there rather than actually doing research and brining in a much more useful defender for much cheaper. Holland being Holland.

As good as Barrie was for us last year I can't help but think signing Barrie was a mistake even last year. Bouchard does everything he can and then some even as a rookie.

That would require having an analytics department that could identify value players that were available, something we know the Oilers don't believe in.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Neim isn’t even close to being at the level of Larsson.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

Larsson is still one of the better defensive RDs in the league and can make good "first passes" and occasionally jump in to create chances; Neims has a long way to go before reaching the level of utility Larsson has, in my opinion

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Larsson is still one of the better defensive RDs in the league and can make good "first passes" and occasionally jump in to create chances; Neims has a long way to go before reaching the level of utility Larsson has, in my opinion

I love what Niemelainen brings physicality wise, but that is the only thing that he has on Larsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad