GWT: Europa League - 2022/23 Group Stages

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Not pretty, but a win is a win at this point. Win the next one and we're basically through. Could be guaranteed if PSV doesn't win this afternoon

Yeah it was as bad a win as they come. Thankfully Bodo couldn’t finish. I have to wonder how much of a factor the artificial turf was?

I just hope this doesn’t carry over to Sunday.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I wouldn't read too much into that Arsenal performance. They got the result, rested some key members of the squad, and have basically guaranteed to move on to the next group.

They will get up for the game Sunday

Reactions: maclean

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That was the right call. His arm was literally behind his back. He leaned into it, but he's got nowhere else to put his arm.

The lack of a red was a poor call though.
Yeah, that falls into "natural position". Curious about yellow instead of red for the tackle on Casemiro. Lunges in studds first...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's insane how imbalanced the formation is with Sancho on. They took off Antony for Sancho and immediately all attack from the right side died and now there's far too many players on the left side so it's easy for the defense to overload the ball.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Rennes is through and Nantes is basically out.
Nantes lost and didn't replace Kolo Muani and clearly they have no business playing the EL this year.

Rough night for L1 teams with Monaco getting trashed as well and Nice losing to some Czech midtable team

One of the best owngoals of the year in the Monaco game too :laugh:

Reactions: luiginb

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sancho with a great set up for the goal. Dummies two defenders, pin point pass to McTominay. He seems to prefer the left side over the right side.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Sancho with a great set up for the goal. Dummies two defenders, pin point pass to McTominay. He seems to prefer the left side over the right side.

I still stand by the statement that they were way way too unbalanced with both Rashford and Sancho over there. I don't think it's surprising that the goal came after a switch of play when Rashford wasn't close to that side so there was a lot more open pitch.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rough night for L1 teams with Monaco getting trashed as well and Nice losing to some Czech midtable team
Didn't see Nice (I thought they were leading 1-0) but they're trash this year.
As for Monaco, they're still in their summer holidays. I watched the game and Monaco controlled the game in the first half, playing with their usual "we're enjoying the sun" urgency.
Then all of a sudden out of NOWHERE, Nubel shot the ball into his own defenseman with nobody near him. Ball bounced into the goal right before halftime. I have no idea how Nubel managed to do that, he couldn't have done it if he tried.
Monaco came back into the second half looking more lazy than ever, and Trabzon scored on a FK under the wall off the post (yeah I know, how are the chances this happens?) and then on a corner where nobody tried to jump to defend. Then Vanderson managed to miss a control to give Trezeguet the goal (after another Nubel disaster class).

I have no idea how they could clearly show they were the best team and still managed to be exploded 4-0 (I switched off after the 4th so I don't know if it's the final score). Lazyness, they don't care. And Nubel breaking their backbone twice again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kevin Schade now with a goal every 60min in both the EL & BuLi.

Good guys move to 1pt behind Braga before the portuguese outfit visits the Alte Försterei.

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
But beyond that, our defense just doesn't look cohesive. I think we're missing having a second left footed CB to partner with Holding. Not that I love Mari, but I wouldn't have minded keeping him around as cover.
He's been good for Monza this year, but maybe that's because that's his level.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:laugh:

Holiday mode seems a bit harsh because they're on a 5 game winning streak in L1
But L1 looks a bit weird this year with Lorient being "best of the rest" so far
L1 sucks this year has except for a couple of teams.
We'll suck on Europe I believe (I know I said the opposite last year but the dynamic was totally different and it showed).
Besides the fact 4 teams will go down is making most teams focus on defending in the league rather than do anything in Europe.
The teams to watch are PSG, Lorient, OM, Rennes and Lens. Rest is meh... Lyon might be interesting with Blanc.
Monaco's inner quality will give them wins but their actual performance on the pitch is lame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad