GWT: Europa/Conference League - Knockouts

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Leverkusen just isn't going to lose a game this season.
was fully preparing to say "and thus ends Leverkusen's bid to be the first top side to go undefeated in domestic league, domestic cup, and a european competition in a single season." and then!

for anyone curious, my cursory scan suggests that the closest two teams to doing this are:

- 2011-12 Juventus: undefeated in the league and undefeated up until the final of the Coppa Italia. However, they did not play in Europe.
- 2010-11 Porto: undefeated in the league, undefeated in the domestic cup, won the Europa League but lost two knockout stage matches.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
The Athletic apparently just included CB Vitík on a list of eight players to look out for
That was almost a jinx, he lost a ball and then kept Salah onside, he's just lucky the VAR ref is blind.

And I jinxed Preciado who lost the ball on the fifth goal

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
was fully preparing to say "and thus ends Leverkusen's bid to be the first top side to go undefeated in domestic league, domestic cup, and a european competition in a single season." and then!

for anyone curious, my cursory scan suggests that the closest two teams to doing this are:

- 2011-12 Juventus: undefeated in the league and undefeated up until the final of the Coppa Italia. However, they did not play in Europe.
- 2010-11 Porto: undefeated in the league, undefeated in the domestic cup, won the Europa League but lost two knockout stage matches.
They should realistically have the Pokal in the bag, but I think they might drop a game when they have the Bundesliga title clinched. Frankfurt away, 3rd last game in the league is my call.

Europa league will be by far the toughest ask though. They should've eliminated themselves from Europe by tying all group stage games.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This VAR check has been almost as long as stoppage time :laugh:

EDIT: And no penalty. It's pretty funny how much that call triggered the English announcers, but it's not like West Ham deserved a draw. They were lucky not to concede a second and only carved out one or two serious chances of their own :dunno:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This VAR check has been almost as long as stoppage time :laugh:

EDIT: And no penalty. It's pretty funny how much that call triggered the English announcers, but it's not like West Ham deserved a draw. They were lucky not to concede a second and only carved out one or two serious chances of their own :dunno:
They deserved a draw way more than Freiburg deserved a win.

This is David Moyes in a nutshell. He only came for the 0-0 today. Never mind that the attacking trio of Bowen/Paqueta/Kudus shits all over that entire Freiburg team. He deserved getting pipped at the end for being such a negative douche.

And again, not that I particularly care because it would only have served to polish that Moyes turd, but that VAR review was pathetic. Guy’s got his arms up like he’s trying to block a volleyball spike and they take 7 minutes to say it’s not a pen. Everyone in the stadium saw it go off the arm.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
He's only 41. Which like, I get is still old, but in my head he should be pushing 50.
Exactly it. I constantly forget that when he seemed washed at Liverpool he was only 31 and then when he had a career renaissance at Napoli he was only 33. His career arc is strange for a keeper.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Treble winning (League, Cup and CL) Bayern side 2012/13 wasn't particularly close as they lost twice early in the season in October (against Leverkusen their only loss in the BL), and against Bate Borisov in the CL goup stage. Their third and final loss of the season came in March against Arsenal in the CL knockout stage 2nd leg match.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Possibly bad news for Milan and France, as Maignan collides with Slavia player and his knee got hit quite hard. He has tried to continue, but has collapsed once already since the knock.

Now he is forced to come off only after 7 minutes, Sportiello his replacement. No, he still stays on the pitch after receiving treatment.

Edit: Maignan finally left the pitch at the same time Slavia had a player sent off.

Slavia keeper has made a couple of good saves from Pulisic and Rafael Leao, both from breakthrough alone against the keeper.

Finally Milan scores, Pulisic from Leao's pass.

Edit2: It's 3-0 now at the end of first half. Third goal by Rafael Leao was a terrific shot.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Looks like West Ham has decisively turned the tie around, leading now 3-0 against Freiburg early in the 2nd half, after losing the first leg.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It was kind of over once Slavia got the red. Which was a bit unfortunate as there was no ill intent in it, but once he started walking over to that monitor you knew

Reactions: luiginb

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Kudus goal of the tournament.

Looks like West Ham has decisively turned the tie around, leading now 3-0 against Freiburg early in the 2nd half, after losing the first leg.
It’s all mentality with this team because of Moyes, and that shows in all the xg% models. Basically they’re one of the worst teams in the league at 0-0 and 1-0 game states, and one of the better teams down one or multiple goals.

Moyes just plays scared and it diminishes the capability of the squad. They’re capable of much more. It’s maddening.

Reactions: maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Kudus goal of the tournament.

It’s all mentality with this team because of Moyes, and that shows in all the xg% models. Basically they’re one of the worst teams in the league at 0-0 and 1-0 game states, and one of the better teams down one or multiple goals.

Moyes just plays scared and it diminishes the capability of the squad. They’re capable of much more. It’s maddening.

Will have to catch the highlight. That was the game I was planning to watch, but Slavia was on the national broadcaster so it was just easier and I was too lazy to change it after it was basically over in 20 minutes

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I'm watching Rangers-Benfica which is nice and tight. Benfica are one goal up but Rangers are a great home team this year, never lost two in a row, and only Celtic kept a clean sheet there this year.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Will have to catch the highlight. That was the game I was planning to watch, but Slavia was on the national broadcaster so it was just easier and I was too lazy to change it after it was basically over in 20 minutes
Kudus again, 5-0 now.

Freiburg was always a shit side, West Ham just mystifyingly (for everyone that isn’t Moyes) went there to play a 0-0. The tie could have been over before the second leg.

Feel for Slavia going down to 10 in both legs. Would have liked to have seen an actual contest there.

Reactions: maclean

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Remember I talked about that unreal save by Pepe Reina preventing the 5-0 for OM against Villarreal?
Well it's 3-0 Villarreal and it might have been the difference because OM is going to lose this.

Reactions: Power Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad