Euro Supremacy: Ovechkin vs Jagr

Ovechkin or Jagr

• Total voters

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Ovechkin has 3 Harts and 2 runner ups, Jagr has 1 and 3 runner ups. I’d take this year and 07-08 from Ovechkin over any Jagr seasons. And in a vacuum I take the guy who leads the league in goals over the guy who leads the league in assists. These are my strongest arguments for Ovechkin.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Ovechkin has 3 Harts and 2 runner ups, Jagr has 1 and 3 runner ups. I’d take this year and 07-08 from Ovechkin over any Jagr seasons. And in a vacuum I take the guy who leads the league in goals over the guy who leads the league in assists. These are my strongest arguments for Ovechkin.
Jagr has five scoring titles and two runner ups which were arguably just as impressive as anything Ovechkin has done.

Jagr was more dominant and for longer.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
This is Yzerman/Sakic, Lidstrom/Bourque close.

OV is currently having the best playoff run between the two but Jagr had a fair lead in playoff legacy prior to this year. Regular seasons are very close too.

Jagr was able to carry a line better than OV with his all around offensive game.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I went with Jagr today, and could go with Ovechkin tomorrow. It really is that close.

Ovechkin is one of the best goalscorers of all time, and he has maintained this ability throughout his career. This is a major plus. But, I still went with Jagr because of his puck possession dominance. At his best during the dead puck era, it seemed like no one could knock Jagr off the puck - he could just play keep-away for most of his shift, and this has a greater impact on both your team's offense and its defense. Jagr also had more dedication to the game with his harsh workout regimen, as evidenced by his conditioning and longevity.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014

OV is currently having the best playoff run between the two but Jagr had a fair lead in playoff legacy prior to this year. Regular seasons are very close too.

Jagr was able to carry a line better than OV with his all around offensive game.

This is why I go with Jagr.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Jagr has five scoring titles and two runner ups which were arguably just as impressive as anything Ovechkin has done.

Jagr was more dominant and for longer.
Gretzky has 11 Art Rosses and 5 Richards so I think 7 Richards are more impressive than 7 top 2 point finishes. Sure Jagr played forever but he only averaged a point a game twice after 30.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016

Ovechkin carried freaking AHL Washington line, or actually team all by himself pretty much for 2.5 seasons up until 2008-2009. He was the only legitimate player in Washington from 2005-2008 (other was Semin, played different line). In his rookie season he outscored the next guy ALMOST by 50 points, 49 to be exact. All his partners had career years for those 2 seasons. And how this is not the identification of not carrying his own line?! Are you kidding me?!

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Jagr won an Art Ross by 20 points while tying for 2nd in goals. How is Ovechkin finishing 11th in points (21 behind the Art Ross winner) this year better? Value goals over assists, fine. But Jagr was also an elite goalscorer (4 2nd place finishes and 3 other top 6 finishes)

Reactions: ehhedler and bert

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ovechkin carried freaking AHL Washington line, or actually team all by himself pretty much for 2.5 seasons up until 2008-2009. He was the only legitimate player in Washington from 2005-2008 (other was Semin, played different line). In his rookie season he outscored the next guy ALMOST by 50 points, 49 to be exact. All his partners had career years for those 2 seasons. And how this is not the identification of not carrying his own line?! Are you kidding me?!

The post said Jagr could carry a line better, not that Ovechkin couldn't. Just like saying Ovechkin is a better goalscorer than Jagr doesn't mean Jagr wasn't an elite goalscorer.

Reactions: bert

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
They are very similar...

Both came into the league very young and lost games to a lockout early on...

However Jagr had depth on his team and was never the focus until 7 or 8 years in.

Then they both had periods where it seemed they didn't care anymore and were finished only to roar back again.

Jagr has somehow been romanticized over the past few years...guy was seen as unlikable and a cancer for awhile and was only about the money...which to be fair was pretty valid, but after his comeback he has acted like a clown and is now seen in a much warmer light.

In the end...the only thing against Ovi is no cups and he could very well fix that this Thursday and he could win the CS too...if he does I think it only a matter of time until he passes Jagr.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Jagr won an Art Ross by 20 points while tying for 2nd in goals. How is Ovechkin finishing 11th in points (21 behind the Art Ross winner) this year better? Value goals over assists, fine. But Jagr was also an elite goalscorer (4 2nd place finishes and 3 other top 6 finishes)
I’m counting the postseason.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Gretzky has 11 Art Rosses and 5 Richards so I think 7 Richards are more impressive than 7 top 2 point finishes. Sure Jagr played forever but he only averaged a point a game twice after 30.

Jagr had 4 season's over PPG after 30 and 1 where he was 3 points short

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
5-time Art Ross and 2-time Stanley Cup champion Jaromir Jagr.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’m counting the postseason.

I think that's forcusing too much on some solid goal totals more than who he actually is as a player. He's not the consistently dominant forward either he or Jagr were at their peaks. Just as there was that thread about whether the Caps would be better with current Ovechkin or peak Ovechkin this year was dominated by everyone saying it was clearly peak Ovie, peak Jagr, who was a similarly dominant player to peak Ovechkin, was still better.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Good point, but OV only stayed at this level for 2.5 years, a lot shorter than Jagr did.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

You think OV's 13/14, 15/16 and 17/18 seasons are better than Jagr's 2nd place Art Ross finishes?

You need to look up "context" in the dictionary and then apply some.

OV's 13/14 may very well be the worst season by a 50 goal scorer ever.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
People want to dump on Jagr's character but OV has drawn some criticism himself over the years that he just now seems to be wiping away. I think the numbers speak for themselves which has them very close.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I could see Jagr still being ahead after an Ovechkin win but it would only be a matter of time until Ovechkin pulls ahead

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Their peaks are close and Jagr maintained close to that level for much longer, which at this point pushes him ahead, considering Ovechkin only has a slight edge, if that, after their top 8 seasons. Jagr's resume after leaving Pittsburgh isn't that impressive though, outside of his first two years after the full year lockout. While the length of their peaks and a few of the what ifs for Jagr lead me to likely always consider him the better player, I could see Ovechkin being better through his 30s, which could push him ahead in terms of the greater career and go down as a higher ranked player all time, particularly as he keeps improving his case for the best goalscorer of all time.

Also, while I think Jagr was better, I would easily take Ovechkin as my top player when starting a franchise. While there have been criticisms about Ovechkin's leadership over the years, they've mainly stemmed from his lack of playoff team success and the idea that his game isn't suited for it, or that he's not serious enough. But I don't think anyone could question his commitment to his team, and he's always done what has been asked of him by his coaches and never seems to complain. Jagr on the other hand was openly critical of the team near the end in Pittsburgh, and didn't seem to want to change his style to suit the game the Capitals wanted to play after he was traded there. While old Jagr has become a bit of a mentor type, young Jagr seemed mostly about himself. I think that's a big difference.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I like Ovi if he wins the cup, and I think he will so voted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad