Euro Supremacy: Ovechkin vs Jagr

Ovechkin or Jagr

• Total voters

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Plus a member of triple gold club and captained two different NHL teams.

People always looking at those team achievements. Hasek carried that Czech Republic team so hard.

Like when people mention olympic gold for a canadian player Im like yeah if youre good enough to make Canada for a couple of Olympics best on best you are close to guaranteed to get a gold without having to do something special yourself. Jagr while beeing okey wasnt as good other forwards like Bure who was amazing for Russia that year, but Hasek was so good that he could carry any team on his back.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Jagr dominated the league from 1997 through to 2001 like nobody else has since. He was a dominant offensive force during those years. Ovi was a better goalscorer and was/is more physical but that’s all he has over Jagr.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Not saying Jagr isn't the better, player but those people saying 2 Stanley Cups need to remember, 0 Conn Smythes... that was Lemieux's team and he was the best player. That said, I'll take Jagr by a hair right now, it'll flip if Ovi wins the Cup and wins the Conn. The same Lemieux argument could probably be made why Jagr didn't win more Hart trophies too. Jagr has also won Olympic gold (granted, that was partly because of a great performance by Hasek, but he was the only super star skater on that team).

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
OV. Peak is similar, edge to OV for goals. OV has way more individual hardware. Also, assuming caps win the cup and/or OV gets the smythe, he pulls ahead in playoffs too. Jagr never passed the 2nd round without Lemieux as the main guy on a team.

Also, Jagr was the biggest diva in the NHL. Coach killer, cancer in the locker room, mercenary.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
LOL at the recency bias. It's Jagr, not even close. Seriously guys, this looks like a parody.

Reactions: bert

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Jagr had no equal offensively (aside from Lemieux, but that doesn't count for obvious reasons) from 1995 to 2001. OV never dominated as much as this for six straight years. I don't care how many media-trophies (Hart) he has. I actually like OV and hope he wins the cup, but let's be serious. He's the flavor of the month, just like Crosby was last year at the same time.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Better player is quite easily Jagr; much more of an all-around threat and his real prime was longer.Ovechkin continued to be a great goalscorer, but his real prime is long gone.Jagr was both a great playmaker and goalscorer, and a much smarter player.Also a more entertaining player to watch, for what it's worth.

It is close, but the choice is still easy despite this.

In Ovechkin's favor, he is on the verge of doing what Jagr never did; winning a cup as the soul of a team.This is why what Ovechkin is currently doing is so crucial to his legacy.Now in every comparison he has this run, which helps his case against all his usual competitors like Jagr, Lafleur, Cook, etc.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Jagr had no equal offensively (aside from Lemieux, but that doesn't count for obvious reasons) from 1995 to 2001. OV never dominated as much as this for six straight years. I don't care how many media-trophies (Hart) he has. I actually like OV and hope he wins the cup, but let's be serious. He's the flavor of the month, just like Crosby was last year at the same time.

Crosby and Ovechkin flavor of the month? :laugh: How about flavor of the last 12 years? There is not a single year they arent being discussed against other all time greats

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
You think OV's 13/14, 15/16 and 17/18 seasons are better than Jagr's 2nd place Art Ross finishes?

You need to look up "context" in the dictionary and then apply some.

OV's 13/14 may very well be the worst season by a 50 goal scorer ever.

Again with this utter BS. One of the main reasons why basically no-one here gives your hot takes any credibility. You are almost completely incapable of being objective.

Care to tell my how these following (there are more but I'll just do these quick one's) seasons were better than OV's 13/14 season:

Richer 87-88 & 89-90
Maruk 80-81
Leach 79-80
Larouche 79-80
Gare 75-76
Redmond 73-74
Vaive 81-82, 82-83 & 83-84
Nieuwendyk 87-88 & 88-89
Secord 82-83
Grant 74-75
Kehoe 80-81
Stoughton 81-82
Bullard 83-84

I got tired so I won't list more. Even though there would be more. You should try to work on your insecurity about Crosby so you wouldn't feel the need to make up ridiculous stuff all the time.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
People always looking at those team achievements. Hasek carried that Czech Republic team so hard.

Like when people mention olympic gold for a canadian player Im like yeah if youre good enough to make Canada for a couple of Olympics best on best you are close to guaranteed to get a gold without having to do something special yourself. Jagr while beeing okey wasnt as good other forwards like Bure who was amazing for Russia that year, but Hasek was so good that he could carry any team on his back.

Jagr was OK internationally but if memory serves he was usually outscored by guys like Fedorov (a defensive player), so on international ice Jagr definitely was not as dominant as he was in the NHL.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Jagr was my favourite player before Ovi came to the NHL so this is a tough one for me. Jagr has the durability, peak performance, individual and team accolades so it's tough to argue against him. He did rub teammates/coaches the wrong way on multiple occasions and seemed to wear out his welcome in multiple cities. I think it's Jagr as of now, but Ovi could/should pass him by the time his career is up.

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
instinct says jagr was better. but it's close:

in summer/fall 2014 the HOH board voted jagr the 4th best winger and ovechkin 9th. so they were close already. since then ovechkin has won 3 more richards, bringing him into a tie with bobby hull for most times leading the league in goals, and is now a game away from winning the cup, probably sans smythe but he's in the conversation.

they have very different resumes. i don't imagine the answer will ever be clear & uncontroversial. but when it's all said & done it might be ovechkin.

Reactions: Plural

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Jagr was always a little disapointing in the playoffs as well

Maybe in later years but I saw him put on some pretty impressive performances for the Pens in the late 90s where he basically had no supporting cast whatsoever.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Goalies cant score goals.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe in later years but I saw him put on some pretty impressive performances for the Pens in the late 90s where he basically had no supporting cast whatsoever.
Or you know scoring a hat trick in the SCF as a 19 year old. One of the greatest goals of all time. Its so obvious in this thread its a bunch of people who are either are too young to remember how good he was or havent been watching hockey long enough. Which makes you unqualified to post. So if you didnt watch jagr play since 91 dont comment.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Maybe if you started watching hockey in 2012.

I am not saying he was bad.. But he doesn't live up to his talent level....not even a PPG

He never had the heart or the desire to be "the guy" it is why he never made it past the second round without Lemieux.... Actually i remembered he made it with the Bruins...but he sucked in that run.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am not saying he was bad.. But he doesn't live up to his talent level....not even a PPG

He never had the heart or the desire to be "the guy" it is why he never made it past the second round without Lemieux.... Actually i remembered he made it with the Bruins...but he sucked in that run.

I truly dont think you watched him, in the late 90's early 2000's the league allowed teams to literally mug him. If you watched the Penguins series against leafs Yushkevich and Markov were tackling him like he was beast mode on the 1 yard line. He was incredible that playoffs, made Jan Hrdina look like Jarri Kurri.

Not even a PPG just had over 200 playoff points. When he was 18 to 35 he averaged well over a ppg. His last few playoffs ruined his PPG status you know playing in the NHL in his 40's like a legend. Something only Gordie Howe has done.

181 Points in 169 games from 18 to 35 years old in the NHL. Two of those seasons he was a teenager.

This is an understatement. While an amazing regular season performer Jagr was often off his game in the postseason.

This hurts his legacy somewhat. Those two cups were won on the back of Lemieux. After Lemieux he did nothing in the playoffs.
FALSE fake news try again.

He had 24 points in 21 games when they won the second cup as a 19 year old.

Ive already said it once in this thread. If you just started watching hockey or did not watch hockey in the 90's stop commenting you are skewing the thread and have no real knowledge of the player.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Jagr was always a little disapointing in the playoffs as well

This is an understatement. While an amazing regular season performer Jagr was often off his game in the postseason.

This hurts his legacy somewhat. Those two cups were won on the back of Lemieux. After Lemieux he did nothing in the playoffs. In 2001 he was memorably awful.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
No, he was not incredible.

This current run by Ovechkin is what will put him ahead of Jagr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad