Euro: Euro 2021 Official rosters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Running as hard as you can until the man in the black kit blows the whistle is a learned behavior, not a natural trait. I've seen Toni 'take shifts off', and I've always defended him on here as one of the best passers in the game, but it's just obvious that he doesn't really fancy himself a worker bee.

Not disagreeing about his effort against the ball, but effort alone doesn't make a good defender. Some guys just aren't good against the ball even if they were to focus all of their efforts on that, and Toni's always been in that group. That's why I brought up Pirlo; who also was no worker bee & needed to be surrounded by runners who would allow the team to compensate for his defensive limitations.

So, to me, the problem was always more on the coaching staff not recognizing that Toni needed to be surrounded by enough guys who would do the running for him, than it was on Toni not trying hard enough to be Basti.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's better than just top 10 for me. He's on the same level as the likes of Kimmich and Frenkie

I could see top 5. I'm not sure I'd put him there, but it's not crazy.

I don't think he's as good as Kimmich yet. Kimmich is the best in the world right now at his position. He may even be the best player in the world. Kimmich was the driving force of those Bayern teams winning all those titles since he got there. They were able to win a lot without Lewandowski. They won a lot less without Kimmich.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If England is going with a front 3, it's two of Sancho/Foden/Grealish. If it's a front four, it's all three of those players. I don't see how Sterling is a candidate to start. He's had a pretty bad season. I'd put Rashford ahead of him to start.

Reactions: luiginb

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Mount and Rashford deserve to be rotating with those three. But yeah, Sterling should be way down the depth chart, no questions asked.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I could see top 5. I'm not sure I'd put him there, but it's not crazy.

I don't think he's as good as Kimmich yet. Kimmich is the best in the world right now at his position. He may even be the best player in the world. Kimmich was the driving force of those Bayern teams winning all those titles since he got there. They were able to win a lot without Lewandowski. They won a lot less without Kimmich.
Kimmich absolutely isn’t the best in the world, let alone in his position. That’s a massive exagerration.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If England is going with a front 3, it's two of Sancho/Foden/Grealish. If it's a front four, it's all three of those players. I don't see how Sterling is a candidate to start. He's had a pretty bad season. I'd put Rashford ahead of him to start.
On paper Sancho - Foden - Grealish is the best option. But play tjose three with Kane up front and who runs in behind? All of them need the ball to feet. Playing that would completely unbalance their attacking dynamics. Rashford needs to play if you don’t like Sterling.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I think you need to watch more of Bayern and Germany then.
You are probably right that I need to watch Kimmich more, I mostly only watch his CL games. From my viewings, he isn’t good enough positionally and definately struggles in transition. The PSG loss was largely on Kimmich lacking the positional discipline to be the main defensive midfielder in a pivot. I don’t think he’s suited to being a lone DM and he probably isn’t a true box to box type. He is great on the ball but has defensive flaws. So calling him the best in his position depends on how you define his position and what attributes you value. He is the best in the world at right back, not in midfield.

I think Barella offers more in terms of ball retention, ball winning and intensity.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
On paper Sancho - Foden - Grealish is the best option. But play tjose three with Kane up front and who runs in behind? All of them need the ball to feet. Playing that would completely unbalance their attacking dynamics. Rashford needs to play if you don’t like Sterling.

It's a valid point that Sterling brings a different style of play to that attack, but I still don't know that the attack becomes better just because you have a player whose going to run after the ball as opposed to running with it.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It's a valid point that Sterling brings a different style of play to that attack, but I still don't know that the attack becomes better just because you have a player whose going to run after the ball as opposed to running with it.
It’s about Sterling/Rashford offering penetration and runs in behind. It’s a very basic footballing principle that some people need to recieve the ball while others make runs to stretch the defence for an attack to function. I can’t think of any good attacks without balance in style and proper outlets. Sterling/Rashford are especially needed if England defend low against top teams. Those player types are especially neccesary if you want to get out of being pressured down.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad