Euro: Euro 2021 Official rosters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Germany look good
It's latvia, we won't be able to get away with playing Kroos against good teams.

But shift Kimmich to Toni's spot & start Hofmann at RWB, and we might be onto something. I might replace Müller with Goretzka to start the France match as well; as having LeGo, Ilkay & Kimmich in front of the back 3, would make me feel better about facing talent like that...but having Müller helping us unlock their defense may help more.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Goretzka's match fitness is doubtful from what I understand. I think he'd start if 100% fit.

A lot of this depends on whether Kimmich is in the midfield or on the right, as well as LeGo's fitness. If Kimmich is on the right, then it's more straightforward; we play all three of Gundogan, Müller, and Goretzka (Neuhaus if LeGo's not fit). But if Kimmich's in the midfield, then Jogi will have two spots for Gundogan, Goretzka (Neuhaus if LeGo won't be fit), or Müller.

I'm expecting Kimmich in the midfield with Gundogan & Müller, but against France I might prefer to bring Müller off the bench with Goretzka or Neuhaus in the starting 11 to give our midfield more solidity.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think I want to see a midfield with both Kimmich and Müller because they are both FLEX players who give the lineup a lot of variability. And you cant really go wrong with starting Müller because he will never be a liability, so if for some reason hes not in the game you can still replace him (though in my mind its 9 out of 10 times a problem with someone else in midfield if Müller isnt involved).

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It's also weird Lucho only selected 24 players, instead of the 26 allowed, I mean he could have easily taken Ramos and wait it out to see if he gets healthy

Picking only 24 has already starting to hit them as Busquets has tested positive for Covid and might miss the tournament. Spain cancelled their final preparation match.

"Manchester City midfielder Rodri is Busquets' natural replacement and coach Luis Enrique will have to decide whether to drop Busquets or keep him in the squad.
UEFA allows for a change of a player from the registered list due to injury or COVID-19 but does not allow for the increase in the number of players called up, which is 24.

On Monday, Spain called up four new players to take part in a parallel training bubble following Busquets's positive COVID-19 test at the weekend, the national team said.
The new additions -- Rodrigo Moreno (Leeds United), Pablo Fornals (West Ham United), Carlos Soler (Valencia) and Brais Mendez (Celta Vigo) -- will not stay at Spain's Las Rozas training base or be involved with the rest of the preparations of the squad, who are currently isolating."

Busquets positive test curbs Spain Euros plans

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
A lot of this depends on whether Kimmich is in the midfield or on the right, as well as LeGo's fitness. If Kimmich is on the right, then it's more straightforward; we play all three of Gundogan, Müller, and Goretzka (Neuhaus if LeGo's not fit). But if Kimmich's in the midfield, then Jogi will have two spots for Gundogan, Goretzka (Neuhaus if LeGo won't be fit), or Müller.

I'm expecting Kimmich in the midfield with Gundogan & Müller, but against France I might prefer to bring Müller off the bench with Goretzka or Neuhaus in the starting 11 to give our midfield more solidity.
What do you have against Kroos? He's still a world class controller. He isn't athletic and it depends on what you want but for me he's a level above Goretzka (and I typically really like strong box to box midfielders)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What do you have against Kroos? He's still a world class controller. He isn't athletic and it depends on what you want but for me he's a level above Goretzka (and I typically really like strong box to box midfielders)
He's too immobile at this point in his career for our midfield not to get overrun by the top teams when Toni is out there...which is especially concerning with old man Hummels in the middle of our defense. So outside of the Hungary game, we won't really be able to play him.

The last star to ever be born in the DDR is still great with the ball & still has a special place in my heart, but he's been a liability against the ball for years now, whose limitations have cost us at tournaments before...and with Kimmich, Gundogan, Goretzka, & Neuhaus, we have plenty of other talented 6s/8s that aren't defensive sieves.

Plus Müller fills that 'old creative midfielder whom the kids have to make up for against the ball' roll better.

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
He's too immobile at this point in his career for our midfield not to get overrun by the top teams when Toni is out there...which is especially concerning with old man Hummels in the middle of our defense. So outside of the Hungary game, we won't really be able to play him.

The last star to ever be born in the DDR is still great with the ball & still has a special place in my heart, but he's been a liability against the ball for years now, whose limitations have cost us at tournaments before...and with Kimmich, Gundogan, Goretzka, & Neuhaus, we have plenty of other talented 6s/8s that aren't defensive sieves.

Plus Müller fills that 'old creative midfielder whom the kids have to make up for against the ball' roll better.
I am not that impressed by Goretzka, Kimmich or Neuhaus when it comes it blocking space and winning duels either but I definately don’t watch them every week. None of them are natural true defensive midfielders. But they are obviously more mobile than Kroos (with less positional discipline).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I am not that impressed by Goretzka, Kimmich or Neuhaus when it comes it blocking space and winning duels either but I definately don’t watch them every week. None of them are natural true defensive midfielders. But they are obviously more mobile than Kroos (with less positional discipline).

Toni gets caught out of position often himself, so I'm gunna have to disagree with this assessment. Kimmich & Neuhaus aren't just more athletic, they are also a lot more positionally disciplined than Toni. Goretzka gets caught out because his impulses to push forward can leave him having to rush back from the opposing box...but he (like Kimmich & Neuhaus) is better at winning the ball back when in position to make the tackle, on top of being better able to get back into position. Plus LeGo helps with set-piece defense, which has never been a strength of Toni's.

I've been a big fan of Kroos' for a long time now and still remember watching him blossom under Heynkes while on loan with Leverkusen...but he's always been a guy whose defense had to be schemed around, and that problem has only gotten worse with age.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The fundamental thing that makes Kroos a bit of a liability in the Germany team is that Jogi and everyone else expected him to take up the role Schweinsteiger had in the 2nd half of his career. Hard-working central midfielder with some flair but also willing to plug holes and run 90 or 120 minutes.

Kroos - who has significantly more skill than Schweinsteiger ever had - however decided that he's a genius deep-lying playmaker who can get away with a token off-the-ball effort most of the time. That means you need to play a Kante next to him. But at the same time Kroos also doesn't have the dynamism to threaten a sitting back opponent.

He turned himself into a luxury player for games where you can afford a guy who just sits in the middle of the park to organize the game and player precise 30 yard passes.

Reactions: Power Man

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The fundamental thing that makes Kroos a bit of a liability in the Germany team is that Jogi and everyone else expected him to take up the role Schweinsteiger had in the 2nd half of his career. Hard-working central midfielder with some flair but also willing to plug holes and run 90 or 120 minutes.

Kroos - who has significantly more skill than Schweinsteiger ever had - however decided that he's a genius deep-lying playmaker who can get away with a token off-the-ball effort most of the time. That means you need to play a Kante next to him. But at the same time Kroos also doesn't have the dynamism to threaten a sitting back opponent.

He turned himself into a luxury player for games where you can afford a guy who just sits in the middle of the park to organize the game and player precise 30 yard passes.

I dunno how much of it was something he decided and how much of it is just who he is / what he is capable of. Toni was always more Pirlo than Basti.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I dunno how much of it was something he decided and how much of it is just who he is / what he is capable of. Toni was always more Pirlo than Basti.

Running as hard as you can until the man in the black kit blows the whistle is a learned behavior, not a natural trait. I've seen Toni 'take shifts off', and I've always defended him on here as one of the best passers in the game, but it's just obvious that he doesn't really fancy himself a worker bee.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Barella being underrated is the equivalent of Slavin being underrated. Does anyone who watches football not know Barella is a top 10 CM in world football?
He's better than just top 10 for me. He's on the same level as the likes of Kimmich and Frenkie

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Who is on your England XI?
Pickford

Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw

Rice - Henderson/Bellingham

Sterling - Foden - Grealish/Sancho

Kane

Based on how good they are right now probably Saka or Sancho on the right with Grealish on the left but that would leave the attack unbalanced without enough runners in behind. So one of Sterling/Rashford have to start.

Reactions: Hawkman

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I rate White, but I just can't get my head around what Southgate is thinking. Ward-Prowse should fit perfectly alongside Rice, Henderson or Phillips. Much better fit than White in my opinion. White would to me be a good fit with Bellingham or someone like Ward-Prowse.

Then again they might just go low block with White and Rice? If they find some chemistry, that England team would be more or less unstoppable on the counter attack. Kane isn't fast, but he is very very clever on the CA. Basically every one else is excellent players on the CA as well. Grealish is often seen as someone who is a bit pedestrian, but on the CA he most certainly isn't. Rashford, Sancho, Sterling, Foden and Saka are all great as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad