Eugene Melnyk Pledges to spend near salary cap: FYOUS Edition

Will Melnyk Keep his Promise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think any situation quite compares to this one season imo.

I have searched and searched, but across the NHL, NBA, NFL & even the haves/have nots league MLB, there doesn't ever appear to be a team that was heading in to the season with their 4 best and only established star players being UFA and assuming they're dealt, all 4 gone before seasons end. Chabot has passed Dzingel this year obviously, but in the context of heading in to the season, it was our 4 best and only established star players all having to be moved. Lots of teams rebuild and deal away a bunch of players, but this one has been different having all their contracts expire at the same time. In a way the rebuild has actually been forced on themselves because of a major crossroad in contracts.
I think the Isles have 5. Not their best, but important players just as well.

Columbus is in a tough spot too.

I am not prepared to say they are all leaving, but you may have a point should this turn into an epic disaster. Or just tearing off the band aid , damn fast!

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
So, back on the unparalleled train.....

There are a lot of ways we can define success here. Regular season, post season, league-wide, team specific, win records/percentages, cost per point (I almost forgot about this one). I could go on...

Looking at the following chart has been illuminating: List of all-time NHL standings - Wikipedia

I was surprised to see that we're actually above .500 as a franchise (.516!), and that the all-time leader in PTS% is (drum roll), the Golden Knights! Go small sample size, amirite?

Even more interesting is this list of records by NHL team: List of NHL records (team) - Wikipedia

Maybe we're going for most wins 5 years in a row? Or most points?

I just really want to know what they were referring to. There's too many options.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I am not prepared to say they are all leaving, but you may have a point should this turn into an epic disaster. Or just tearing off the band aid , damn fast!
The only important players the Isles have coming to free agency are Lehner who was on a 1 year deal from free agency to begin with and Anders Lee. That is in no way comparable to our situation, especially given that the Isles are a top the Metro division while we solidly sit in last place.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So, back on the unparalleled train.....

There are a lot of ways we can define success here. Regular season, post season, league-wide, team specific, win records/percentages, cost per point (I almost forgot about this one). I could go on...

Looking at the following chart has been illuminating: List of all-time NHL standings - Wikipedia

I was surprised to see that we're actually above .500 as a franchise (.516!), and that the all-time leader in PTS% is (drum roll), the Golden Knights! Go small sample size, amirite?

Even more interesting is this list of records by NHL team: List of NHL records (team) - Wikipedia

Maybe we're going for most wins 5 years in a row? Or most points?

I just really want to know what they were referring to. There's too many options.

Yup, done trying to figure out what he means!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Right, we've had this conversation haven't we.

The Isles are in a tough spot but those guys aren't at the level of Stone, Karlsson & Duchene. More like 2 Dzingels, an easily kept or replaced Filpula & Sbisa, and a goalie killing it on his one year show me deal. Not even close imo.

Columbus is close, but still only 2 comparable out of our 4 and their situation isn't compounded by being the worst team in the league. Those two are definitely big losses even if Korpisalo looks like he might be able to take over.

Still, nothing quite like this situation of being forced into a rebuild even if we hadn't wanted to.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Right, we've had this conversation haven't we.

The Isles are in a tough spot but those guys aren't at the level of Stone, Karlsson & Duchene. More like 2 Dzingels, an easily kept or replaced Filpula & Sbisa, and a goalie killing it on his one year show me deal. Not even close imo.

Columbus is close, but still only 2 comparable out of our 4 and their situation isn't compounded by being the worst team in the league. Those two are definitely big losses even if Korpisalo looks like he might be able to take over.

Still, nothing quite like this situation of being forced into a rebuild even if we hadn't wanted to.
Yes, we have!

But we do not know the extent of the departures yet, so it is kinda putting the cart before the horse, as seemingly obvious that may be. I am just not there yet. My coping mechanisms! We know for sure Columbus is not going to sign these two pieces.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Yup, done trying to figure out what he means!
For whatever reason, out of all the wild things that have been said by reps of the team over the last few years, this one singular sentence has me the most baffled, confounded, and desperate for clarification.

I think it's because its so... bombastic and confident. So beyond the realm of reason that its begging for clarification.

Reactions: coladin

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yes, we have!

But we do not know the extent of the departures yet, so it is kinda putting the cart before the horse, as seemingly obvious that may be. I am just not there yet. My coping mechanisms! We know for sure Columbus is not going to sign these two pieces.
Considering Panarin just switched agents today, I think you're jumping the gun on saying that which is pretty ironic. Same agent as Bobrovski though so I'd put money on them both ending up in Florida on July 1st.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Considering Panarin just switched agents today, I think you're jumping the gun on saying that which is pretty ironic. Same agent as Bobrovski though so I'd put money on them both ending up in Florida on July 1st.
Jumping the gun on what, exactly? They have both stated they will not sign anything before the TDL. We haven't heard that from our players.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
For whatever reason, out of all the wild things that have been said by reps of the team over the last few years, this one singular sentence has me the most baffled, confounded, and desperate for clarification.

I think it's because its so... bombastic and confident. So beyond the realm of reason that its begging for clarification.
Ok, one last try. Maybe he is referring to winning the Stanley Cup! That would be unparalleled for the new Sens franchise

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Jumping the gun on what, exactly? They have both stated they will not sign anything before the TDL. We haven't heard that from our players.
Sure but that doesnt mean they're 100% gone in July. Columbus is a playoff team and needs those guys. We have to sign ours by the TDL.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Well, pre-ScrooEuge the team always had financial viability issues.

Then with ScrooEuge we've had insanity, cheapness and meddling issues.

So reading the tea leaves, in 2021, I'm guessing he means he forsees losing the lawsuit and having to hand the team ownership to Ruddy, and we will have 5 years of Unparalleled time without any financial viability, insanity, cheapness or meddling issues.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
But he just released good news, that doesn’t strike me as a man on the outs completely.

As to my point, I understand that he ‘needs to go’ in peoples minds. My point is that we have zero control over that, so f h plans to stay, as he’s always indicated, you can’t just be angry forever no? I mean you’d have to either move on and get back to cheering for the team, or pick a new team right?

I mean what else can you do?

I would say those are the options. If you compare it to something like Wirtz, its most likely go away until Melnyk sells or dies, and then return to following the team. That's essentially what the majority of Hawks fans did.

In regards to Donald Sterling and the Clippers, sorta the same thing. Well if they really had any fans, it was pretty much Frankie Muniz and a handful of people. :D

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
So starting the 2021 campaign we would probably expect these players to still be around as all of them are restricted free agents and Ryan is under contract that year. One thing missing is some veteran presence(Stone, Duchene, Tierney, Pageau, Dzingel maybe) and a starting goalie. Also should have some good prospects from trades/2019/2020 draft.

Tkachuk(22)-Brown(23)-Batherson(23)
Formenton(22)-White(24)-XXX
Balcers(24)-Norris(22)-Ryan(34)
Chlapik(24)-XXX-XXX

Chabot(24)-JBD(21)
Wolanin(26)-Jaros(25)
Lajoie(24)-XXX

Gustavsson/Hogberg/Daccord

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So starting the 2021 campaign we would probably expect these players to still be around as all of them are restricted free agents and Ryan is under contract that year. One thing missing is some veteran presence(Stone, Duchene, Tierney, Pageau, Dzingel maybe) and a starting goalie. Also should have some good prospects from trades/2019/2020 draft.

Tkachuk(22) -Brown(23)-Batherson(23)
Formenton(22) -White(24)-XXX
Balcers(24) -Norris(22) -Ryan(34)
Chlapik(24) )-XXX-XXX

Chabot(24) -JBD(21)
Wolanin(26) -Jaros(25)
Lajoie(24) -XXX

Gustavsson/Hogberg/Daccord
We'd need those 4 "xxx's" to be 12 million dollar players for that team to reach the cap :laugh:

Chabot is the only guy there that will be making north of 4/5 million outside of Ryan.

I'm sure Melnyk knows this, his statement leaves a lot of options for him to be able to say things never lined up like they wanted so he can't spend.

Brown - 2.5
Tkachuk - 4
White - 3
Formenton - .925
Chlapik -1.5
Balcers - 1.5
Norris - .925
Ryan - 7.25
Batherson - 2.5

Chabot - 8
Lajoie - 2
Jaros - 1.5
JBD -.925
Wolanin- 2

We'd literally need about 50 million at that point to be near the ceiling (give or take)

Obviously we'd have trades of guys brought in and out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Sure but that doesnt mean they're 100% gone in July. Columbus is a playoff team and needs those guys. We have to sign ours by the TDL.

Ok, but it doesn't explain the irony you suggested. The balance of probability lies with them boltingnas far away from Columbus as humanly possible at the first opportunity. Your point didn't make any sense as to the conversation. Our UFAs are very much up in the air

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
A possible low point is if we're below the cap floor next year and no FA wants to sign here even if we overpay, and so we end up being penalized by the NHL. I guess one way to avoid it would be to take on other people's bad contracts, and if we're really desperate to reach the floor we may not even get any good asset in such a deal, so that's a penalty in itself.

Say hello to your new 15 million dollar a year healthy scratch center. Melnyk.....

Reactions: DrEasy

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
"I wanna see what Dorion would do without financial constraint" hahahhaa

A team of Burrows Boedker Condon Thompson and Brassard's would be wicked awesome!!

Dorion is a piece of shit GM. Worst possible hire out there.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If we win a Stanley Cup sometime in that 5 year "window" wouldn't that be an unparalleled success relative to our team's history? I don't know why they chose that specific wording but it's not like he said unparalleled success in all of sports history.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Ok, but it doesn't explain the irony you suggested. The balance of probability lies with them boltingnas far away from Columbus as humanly possible at the first opportunity. Your point didn't make any sense as to the conversation. Our UFAs are very much up in the air
You said that you know for sure Columbus isnt signing Bobrovsky or Panarin but said our guys are up in the air. You don't underatand how nonsensical that is? CBJ is far more likely to sign one of their top guys than we are. All of them are likely on new teams come July, but at least Columbus has the finances to make it work AND a very good manager which we lack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad