Will Melnyk Keep his Promise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Funny side thought, if new ownership is coming in as a partner could this mean that Alfie is back on the table?

And if Alfie is back in the table could this make for an interesting summer if EK doesn’t sign a deal.

Anyways, all fantasy, but we’re nit hearing much about EK signing in SJ. I know the 8 year deal date is later than the TDL, but man, this is looking like a huge gamble for SJ, and much like EK may test free agency.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
giphy.gif

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think logic would dictate that the team expects to have a reduced budget for the next few years of the rebuild, but a refusal to spend money. I mean the team needs to have cap space available for Chabot, BT, White, etc... over the next few years.

We can’t be a cap team starting next year and expect to be able to sign all of our kids the next year.

I do tend to agree with you that the timing of a large cash injection, seemingly well beyond what the market could draw on its own, has to coincide with some form of cash injection. Is the fact that Devcore is in the negotiations for the arena a coincidence?

Given that the mediation timeline is running out, that triumvirate has to at least have the brass tacks nailed down for a new agreement if there is one to be made.

I wish EM could just deliver a positive message without being so cringe worthy.... it’s look he gets over exhuberant and comes off as if he’s gone off his meds.
Rebuilding does make sense,just it has to be done properly and with proper funding....If that means it costs us Duchene and Stone to get these must haves in place then so be it,most fans can accept this...

What they wont accept is EM having any part of this team moving forward,he has proven untrustworthy..And needs to go period

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
He said five years of UNPARALLELLED success.

Unparallelled.

I mean, we've been to one Cup Finals, and three Eastern Conference Finals. Getting back to those levels of success would, by the very definition of the word, be PARALLELLED success, would it not?

The only success that has eluded us, that we have no parallels for, is a Cup Championship. Technically, a Cup Championship is the only success that we don't yet have paralleled success to compare it to.

Obviously I'm being overly pedantic with words here, but maybe this team ought to think before it says things. I assume they just thought that the term "unparalleled success" sounded impressive, and I have to guess that they didn't really think about what they were actually saying since "unparalleled success" is just basically a buzz word/phrase these days, so I don't actually think that they're promising the fanbase a Cup here, but still, you know... Try to put some effort into this, please.

Preach bonk

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Funny side thought, if new ownership is coming in as a partner could this mean that Alfie is back on the table?

And if Alfie is back in the table could this make for an interesting summer if EK doesn’t sign a deal.

Anyways, all fantasy, but we’re nit hearing much about EK signing in SJ. I know the 8 year deal date is later than the TDL, but man, this is looking like a huge gamble for SJ, and much like EK may test free agency.

EK65 has missed 6 straight games for the Sharks with a "mystery injury"... now listed as "day to day".

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Rebuilding does make sense,just it has to be done properly and with proper funding....If that means it costs us Duchene and Stone to get these must haves in place then so be it,most fans can accept this...

What they wont accept is EM having any part of this team moving forward,he has proven untrustworthy..And needs to go period

I totally get the sentiment, and it’s the ideal conclusion to all of this.

But what if it doesn’t happen that way? I mean, if the cash starts flowing again, and if it’s just a new partnership, can folks remain angry indefinitely?

I mean fans can choose to spend their money as they choose, but they don’t get to pick the owner unfortunately. If he wants the money to start flowing he has to turn on his own tap first. Hopefully he can turn off the talk....

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I totally get the sentiment, and it’s the ideal conclusion to all of this.

But what if it doesn’t happen that way? I mean, if the cash starts flowing again, and if it’s just a new partnership, can folks remain angry indefinitely?

I mean fans can choose to spend their money as they choose, but they don’t get to pick the owner unfortunately. If he wants the money to start flowing he has to turn on his own tap first. Hopefully he can turn off the talk....
EM has done too much damage,he has been cutting and cutting without regard since the BM days...He needs to go..

But as far a making sense both on the ice and if I were buying the team,I would let EM dole out the bad news before I cut the cheque...

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
He said five years of UNPARALLELLED success.

Unparallelled.

I mean, we've been to one Cup Finals, and three Eastern Conference Finals. Getting back to those levels of success would, by the very definition of the word, be PARALLELLED success, would it not?

The only success that has eluded us, that we have no parallels for, is a Cup Championship. Technically, a Cup Championship is the only success that we don't yet have paralleled success to compare it to.

Obviously I'm being overly pedantic with words here, but maybe this team ought to think before it says things. I assume they just thought that the term "unparalleled success" sounded impressive, and I have to guess that they didn't really think about what they were actually saying since "unparalleled success" is just basically a buzz word/phrase these days, so I don't actually think that they're promising the fanbase a Cup here, but still, you know... Try to put some effort into this, please.

I think the only remaining question here is whether he's comparing success to just our team, or league wide. 1 cup is well beyond any measure of success the modern team has had, and anything less would by definition be paralleled success.

As ridiculous as this exercise can get depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, this should be a lesson to the club that you need to choose your words carefully.

They won't (I mean, have they at all in recent years?), but it should be.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I think the only remaining question here is whether he's comparing success to just our team, or league wide. 1 cup is well beyond any measure of success the modern team has had, and anything less would by definition be paralleled success.

As ridiculous as this exercise can get depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, this should be a lesson to the club that you need to choose your words carefully.

They won't (I mean, have they at all in recent years?), but it should be.

At least Ruszowski seems to choose his words carefully, and by that I mean he'll talk for 5 minutes just to never actually answer the question that he was asked in the first place.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
EM has done too much damage,he has been cutting and cutting without regard since the BM days...He needs to go..

But as far a making sense both on the ice and if I were buying the team,I would let EM dole out the bad news before I cut the cheque...

But he just released good news, that doesn’t strike me as a man on the outs completely.

As to my point, I understand that he ‘needs to go’ in peoples minds. My point is that we have zero control over that, so f h plans to stay, as he’s always indicated, you can’t just be angry forever no? I mean you’d have to either move on and get back to cheering for the team, or pick a new team right?

I mean what else can you do?

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
[mod qdp]

Anyway, to tie this all back to the concept of unparalleled success..... He's had an unparalleled run of success of not getting banned from this board. It's almost admirable, if it wasn't so annoying.

Will he enjoy a full 5 years of unparalleled success, or will it be cut short? Tune in to find out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
But he just released good news, that doesn’t strike me as a man on the outs completely.

As to my point, I understand that he ‘needs to go’ in peoples minds. My point is that we have zero control over that, so f h plans to stay, as he’s always indicated, you can’t just be angry forever no? I mean you’d have to either move on and get back to cheering for the team, or pick a new team right?

Continue to work towards his removal.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Crosby has been with his team his whole life.
Shane Doan spent pretty much every year with the Jets/Coyotes.
Chara will retire a Bruin.
Iginla never wanted to leave Calgary.
But hey, we're just like everyone else asking our first legacy player to take a discount so we can make ends meet!

Melnyk is garbage. Show me the money or get the hell out of here. And by "Show me the money," I mean hire a respectable front office staff, analytics staff and pay the players their due.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

You can absolutely be an angry, frustrated fan for years and years.

I've been a Bills fan my entire life and they've brought me nothing but anger since 1995. Browns fans have had their first little bit of joy this year since... who even knows.

Venting and criticizing coaches, GMs, etc, is part of being a fan. Everyone knows that at the end of the day, it's just sports and it doesn't matter, but that's why you should have no problem calling it like it is.

It's okay to say:
• Boucher is a bad coach
• Dorion is a worse GM
• Melnyk is a horrible owner
• None of the three will ever experience "unparalleled success"

You can say it too! They won't be mad!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You are right. Longstanding captains usually leave much sooner than Alfredsson.

You can bring up Turris and Heatley, but Todd White made a good point about all the other players they signed in the past. Specifically, it was MacArthur, Duchene, Anderson, Methot and someone else, and they signed them all. Before that , Heatley was signed and Spezza too.

I still think that if you take a broader look, that this is par for the course for many NHL teams. Your Healtey argument is very weak, though, and I think you know it. We all know that there were dubious circumstances, as Ottawa is a small town in many ways, but you can take the hockey route for that one. Turris? Loved the trade, and his wife can lol all she wants.

You can go through every single NHL team , in difficult times, and find their very own gong show, just like ours at the moment.
I don't think any situation quite compares to this one season imo.

I have searched and searched, but across the NHL, NBA, NFL & even the haves/have nots league MLB, there doesn't ever appear to be a team that was heading in to the season with their 4 best and only established star players being UFA and assuming they're dealt, all 4 gone before seasons end. Chabot has passed Dzingel this year obviously, but in the context of heading in to the season, it was our 4 best and only established star players all having to be moved. Lots of teams rebuild and deal away a bunch of players, but this one has been different having all their contracts expire at the same time. In a way the rebuild has actually been forced on themselves because of a major crossroad in contracts.

Reactions: RaMai and coladin

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I've been a Bills fan my entire life and they've brought me nothing but anger since 1995. Browns fans have had their first little bit of joy this year since... who even knows.

Venting and criticizing coaches, GMs, etc, is part of being a fan. Everyone knows that at the end of the day, it's just sports and it doesn't matter, but that's why you should have no problem calling it like it is.

It's okay to say:
• Boucher is a bad coach
• Dorion is a worse GM

As an Eagles fan its an eye opening experience to watch how that team is run, and have turned it around from the Chip Kelly debacle compared to how the Sens run their franchise.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

It's okay to say:
• Boucher is a bad coach
• Dorion is a worse GM

I agree, and feel sorry for you in regards to the Bills.

This last year has been very different for some fans. Some have just been angry, frustrated, irritated, while some have turned to trying to make a movement out of this.

The poster I was discussing with seems to carry an EM out or nothing idea, and there are several others here think the same. My question was about what the would do given the man is not likely to leave, and this their line in the sand not likely to be met any time soon.

For you and I, a fire here, a new hire there, and some on ice success, would probably make both of us stop thinking about the owner and what a botched year+ this has all been.

This is a spectrum for sure, no one is saying fans should be upset. The truth is that the fanbase is a mix of angry boycotting fans who hate the owner, angry fans mad that EK is gone, andgry fans because the team sucks, and a couple who’s only interest is trying burnnthe whole organization to the ground. Many of those fans will feel a whole lot better even with Stone and Duchene signed coupled with EM’ cringeworthy words.

I wish we had a richer and much quieter owner, who let the pros run the team. I love listening to Boucher talk, but his contract is up and the team is at the bottom of the league. I don’t think he’s had too much help player wise to do much better, but at the same time it is what it is, and this is when coaches get changed. As for PD, I have liked him as a GM so far. He’s been dealt a very difficult hand and I think he’s done pretty well considering. He’s wiffed on a few smaller trades, and has had to include monetary incentives in deals to fit the guys he wants, but I love the Duchene deal, and I am over the moon to finally have a GM that commits to a vision and isn’t afraid to make bold moves. Muckler and BM used to drive me crazy with the overly safe approach. I’d like to see what kind of team PD can built without crippling financial restraints.

Not all angry fans are created equal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just for the sake of argument here: the entire situation (both the problem poster as well as the response to it from the site) is a classic case of adhering to the language of an idea in the strictest sense while ignoring the spirit of it.

You're probably right in the end, which is infuriating (not to say you are infuriating, obviously. You're all good, haha. Just the sad conclusion that the whole situation will inevitably result in).

It certainly is rather dispiriting when people can choose to ignore their ability to judge and instead fall back on the letter of the law. However we are not helpless, just because the mods are fine with not exercising their judgement doesn't mean there is nothing we can do as a community.

On that note, I think what needed to be said was said. No need to drag the mods in the mud any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad