Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Didn't Melnyk himself, to quote Roustan, "take the blame game outdoors" during the Winter Classic? And isn't the so-called "single-mindedness on bringing the Stanley Cup to Ottawa" far less evident than the single-mindedness on spending as little as possible to do so? Something doesn't compute, there. Glorified PR writing, and not especially good PR writing at that. Lazy. Attack the fans and attack the narrative without digging deeper. Classic big-brained Hockey News "analysis".

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Didn't Melnyk himself, to quote Roustan, "take the blame game outdoors" during the Winter Classic? And isn't the so-called "single-mindedness on bringing the Stanley Cup to Ottawa" far less evident than the single-mindedness on spending as little as possible to do so? Something doesn't compute, there. Glorified PR writing, and not especially good PR writing at that. Lazy. Attack the fans and attack the narrative without digging deeper. Classic big-brained Hockey News "analysis".
Only on this forum can fans simultaneously complain about how little Melnyk spends while also complaining about how many players are overpaid. What a whirlwind.

Reactions: aragorn and NyQuil

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
That Roustan guy is just retweeting Senators stuff in the past day as well...there might be something here?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Only on this forum can fans simultaneously complain about how little Melnyk spends while also complaining about how many players are overpaid. What a whirlwind.
Ever heard the expression “penny wise and pound foolish?” That’s my major gripe. Can’t speak to any other poster, but my view is that he spends little on high-end talent (needed in the NHL) and too much on fringe or replacement level guys. So to your comment that it's impossible to simultaneously spend too much and not enough... well, I suppose it depends where you're looking. IMO he doesn't spend enough on the right things and, since we're hampered by an internal budget we don't have the flexibility to bury our mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Karlsson

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Sure. Except for the fact that there's half a roster of guys people complain about being overpaid. You can't be cheap and also overspend on a dozen guys at the same time. Doesn't make any goddamn sense.

What? Yes it does.

Matt Murray, Evgeni Dadonov, Nikita Zaitsev and Colin White are objectively overpaid for what they bring.

This is offset by many of our ELCs: Brady Tkachuk, Tim Stutzle, Drake Batherson and Josh Norris are objectively underpaid for what they bring.

Due to those ELCs, the overpaid players aren't currently a big problem, and they've enabled Melnyk and Dorion to ice a cheap roster.

But as soon as we need to start paying our young players, they'll quickly become problems, unless they start playing significantly better and become attractive to other teams.

If I'm only willing to spend $5 bucks and the guy next to me is willing to spend $10, that makes me cheap. But I can still spend my $5 on the wrong thing. It's possible to be cheap and stupid.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What? Yes it does.

Matt Murray, Evgeni Dadonov, Nikita Zaitsev and Colin White are objectively overpaid for what they bring.

This is offset by many of our ELCs: Brady Tkachuk, Tim Stutzle, Drake Batherson and Josh Norris are objectively underpaid for what they bring.

Due to those ELCs, the overpaid players aren't currently a big problem, and they've enabled Melnyk and Dorion to ice a cheap roster.

But as soon as we need to start paying our young players, they'll quickly become problems, unless they start playing significantly better and become attractive to other teams.

If I'm only willing to spend $5 bucks and the guy next to me is willing to spend $10, that makes me cheap. But I can still spend my $5 on the wrong thing. It's possible to be cheap and stupid.
Pretty simple stuff

Reactions: IlTerrifico

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Lmao this is like one of those pay for your own modelling shoots when you're a sub-6 out of 10
Unbelieveable that this guy demands respect for building a stanley cup contender before we've even made the playoffs. He will never earn the respect of the fans...

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
its funnier watching the author (and apparently the owner of hockeynews) going through and blocking everyone that commented on the link being remotely critical

atleast melnyk has stayed relatively quiet, this author is a real sad sack

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What? Yes it does.

So the baseline for evaluating how this team spends its money on players is that every dollar has to be spent perfectly? Talk about ELCs offsetting premium UFA contracts all you want, you can't call a guy cheap when he signs off on spending another $20 million on the roster this year above what they had committed already.

Spending and value relative to cost are different components of the same equation. You can't compare value to actual cost because guys are worth different amounts of money and term to different teams.

Telling me Murray and Dadonov are overpaid is not the same as what it costs to sign them. Those are 2 separate things. The cost to sign a player is guided by the sentiment of all the buyers but also complicated by the fact that it's essentially an open auction system where competitors can bid you up for the same item. You can choose a philosophy that says your $5 won't be spent on that kind of item but that doesn't mean the item isn't worth $5.

The point is you can't say someone is cheap if they think the budget they're spending is allocated according to their philosophy. You can complain about the philosophy, you can complain about whether you would have wanted to spend $x amount of money on such and such a player but you can't call someone cheap when they demonstrate a willingness to increase their spending.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ever heard the expression “penny wise and pound foolish?” That’s my major gripe. Can’t speak to any other poster, but my view is that he spends little on high-end talent (needed in the NHL) and too much on fringe or replacement level guys. So to your comment that it's impossible to simultaneously spend too much and not enough... well, I suppose it depends where you're looking. IMO he doesn't spend enough on the right things and, since we're hampered by an internal budget we don't have the flexibility to bury our mistakes.

I think there's some current truth to that but it's dictated by age of our future core. Chabot and White got paid

There's not really a history here of not paying what we have. There is a history of not loading up at TDLs with a high end player

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think there's some current truth to that but it's dictated by age of our future core. Chabot and White got paid

There's not really a history here of not paying what we have. There is a history of not loading up at TDLs with a high end player
Ehhh, we'll agree to disagree on the italicized. Alfredsson comes to mind. Karlsson comes to mind. Stone comes to mind. Go back far enough, and there were even rumblings of the Hossa/Heatley move being financially motivated. Not saying they were all good or bad in a hockey move context, just that I believe there is a pattern of not wanting to pay high-end players their market worth.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Sure. Except for the fact that there's half a roster of guys people complain about being overpaid. You can't be cheap and also overspend on a dozen guys at the same time. Doesn't make any goddamn sense.

it does. we have the worst of both worlds. Cheap owner and a idiotic GM who spends valuable budget on trash players.

what a mess.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
it does. we have the worst of both worlds. Cheap owner and a idiotic GM who spends valuable budget on trash players.

what a mess.
This. Overpaying players will happen because hindsight is 20/20, but it doesn’t impact other teams as much as it does for us. Remember the whole thing about spending wisely?

Some GM’s know how to work within a budget. Dorion giving Murray that contract after his struggles isn’t it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad