Player Discussion Ethan Bear: It's a Bear Market

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Now Nurse is a 3rd pair?
On a good defence, yes. He is being outplayed by Jones at the moment, and Klefbom is certainly a better defenceman. By my count, that would put Nurse at our 3rd best LHD.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
On a good defence, yes. He is being outplayed by Jones at the moment, and Klefbom is certainly a better defenceman. By my count, that would put Nurse at our 3rd best LHD.

So just to be absolutly clear(because I am gonna bring up this post a lot just to give you the heads up), you think Nurse is worse the Jones and belongs on the third pair?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
So just to be absolutly clear(because I am gonna bring up this post a lot just to give you the heads up), you think Nurse is worse the Jones and belongs on the third pair?
I think Caleb Jones is a better player than Darnell Nurse.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

The guy also doesn't think Larsson is an NHL defenceman. I would just ignore him tbh.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Nurse Larsson has been a bad pairing every time it's been tried haha. Our D is fine as is:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green
Lagesson-Benning
Klefbom-Larsson is a horrific pairing going by every metric available to us peasants. They get destroyed at EV by the other teams 2nd and 3rd comp. Nurse-Bear take all the hardest matchups, with Bear carrying Nurse significantly.

There is a weird misconception amongst fans than Klefbom-Larsson are shutting down the opponents or going against the other teams top lines. Neither of these are true. Not only do Klefbom-Larsson get to stay away from the other teams top lines whenever possible, they even struggle against the oppositions 2nd lines. They aren't a good pairing. I would imagine this has to do with neither of them being particularly adept with the puck.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Nurse Larsson has been a bad pairing every time it's been tried haha. Our D is fine as is:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green
Lagesson-Benning

And in a year or so:

Klefbom/Bouchard(this will be our top pair eventually)
Nurse/Bear
Jones/Benning(Benning may be gone next year but he is good on the bottom pair)

Or it could be Jones/Larsson.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Klefbom-Larsson is a horrific pairing going by every metric available to us peasants. They get destroyed at EV by the other teams 2nd and 3rd comp. Nurse-Bear take all the hardest matchups, with Bear carrying Nurse significantly.

There is a weird misconception amongst fans than Klefbom-Larsson are shutting down the opponents or going against the other teams top lines. Neither of these are true. Not only do Klefbom-Larsson get to stay away from the other teams top lines whenever possible, they even struggle against the oppositions 2nd lines. They aren't a good pairing. I would imagine this has to do with neither of them being particularly adept with the puck.
they tried the Nurse -Larsson, Klefbom-Bear at the start of the year....didn't go well with all parties involved.
I'm going to trust the coaching staff that made the adjustments and put the correct combos together that created results.
I wonder how well Bear would have done if he didn't get paired with Nurse?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

So you want to put Klefbom/Bear together? That might be the softest pair in the league(Bear does not play soft but his size makes him an easy target), and also our two leaders in giveaways on the back end?

If by your words Klefbom is not shutting down other teams 2nd and 3rd comp with a very good defensive defensman, you think he is going to be better being paired with another offensive defensman against top matchups?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
they tried the Nurse -Larsson, Klefbom-Bear at the start of the year....didn't go well with all parties involved.
I'm going to trust the coaching staff that made the adjustments and put the correct combos together that created results.

Come on now, that is against the logic here. Nurse gets zero credit for Bear's play. It has all been the rookie that has done it by himself. Nurse is a bottom pair guy at best remember?

Reactions: booyakasha

duul

Jun 21, 2010

So you want to put Klefbom/Bear together? That might be the softest pair in the league(Bear does not play soft but his size makes him an easy target), and also our two leaders in giveaways on the back end?

If by your words Klefbom is not shutting down other teams 2nd and 3rd comp with a very good defensive defensman, you think he is going to be better being paired with another offensive defensman against top matchups?

No, I'm not suggesting they put Klefbom with Bear. You ridicule me for suggesting Nurse and Larsson should be our 3rd pairing, then keep both of them in the top 4 when making assumptions. You can't even follow something that simple...how can you be trusted in your opinions of D pairings?

Can't attack me for pairing that didn't work in the past when I haven't even suggested them.

Jones-Bear
Klefbom-Green/Bouchard (when Green is healthy/when Bouchard is called up)
Nurse-Larsson

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
No, I'm not suggesting they put Klefbom with Bear. You ridicule me for suggesting Nurse and Larsson should be our 3rd pairing, then keep both of them in the top 4 when making assumptions. You can't even follow something that simple...how can you be trusted in your opinions of D pairings?

Can't attack me for pairing that didn't work in the past when I haven't even suggested them.

Jones-Bear
Klefbom-Green/Bouchard (when Green is healthy/when Bouchard is called up)
Nurse-Larsson
you want to pair Jones-Bear?
yikes

and as the top pair to boot.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Yeah might as well chase out another defensman again on this team.
Once he is gone who is next?
Hmmm, wanna join me on getting started on Bear early? I hate investing time and watching players grow just to Petry/Schultz them out in a few years.

I like Bear, was never really on the Nurse train to begin with.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
They are our two best puck moving defencemen.

That doesn’t mean they should be out top pairing lol. They would get destroyed against top opposition, regardless how amazing Bear is doing and how OK Jones is doing (yeah, I’m not all that impressed with Jones, particularly how inconsistent he has been - he’ll make a strong offensive play and then bobble the puck at the blue line and cough it up right after).

The majority of this best season we’ve had in a while, Klef and Larsson have been our top pairing. They are workhorses, not offensive dynamos, sure. But as soon as Klefbom got injured and Nurse needed to take on the heavy lifting, Nurse started playing terribly, and Bear suffered with him. Nurse and Bear getting second pairing minutes and matchups is why Klef and Larsson as the top pairing is good defensive management. This season has shown us that Nurse can’t handle that top line, so I’m very happy Holland didn’t sign him long term, big $$. He’s a #3/2nd pairing dman, and a good one. Bear is the same. Jones belongs on third line until Russell and Green are back, then he either goes back the the minors or plays as 7th dman instead of Benning.

Healthy d:

Klef/Larsson
Nurse/Bear
Russell/Green
Jones/Benning

Thats playoff depth d right there (not world beaters, but good enough).

duul

Jun 21, 2010
That doesn’t mean they should be out top pairing lol. They would get destroyed against top opposition, regardless how amazing Bear is doing and how OK Jones is doing (yeah, I’m not all that impressed with Jones, particularly how inconsistent he has been - he’ll make a strong offensive play and then bobble the puck at the blue line and cough it up right after).

The majority of this best season we’ve had in a while, Klef and Larsson have been our top pairing. They are workhorses, not offensive dynamos, sure. But as soon as Klefbom got injured and Nurse needed to take on the heavy lifting, Nurse started playing terribly, and Bear suffered with him. Nurse and Bear getting second pairing minutes and matchups is why Klef and Larsson as the top pairing is good defensive management. This season has shown us that Nurse can’t handle that top line, so I’m very happy Holland didn’t sign him long term, big $$. He’s a #3/2nd pairing dman, and a good one. Bear is the same. Jones belongs on third line until Russell and Green are back, then he either goes back the the minors or plays as 7th dman instead of Benning.

Healthy d:

Klef/Larsson
Nurse/Bear
Russell/Green
Jones/Benning

Thats playoff depth d right there (not world beaters, but good enough).

The bolded isn't even true though. Objectively. Throughout the season, Nurse-Bear have taken 1st comp. The entire year they've been paired together. What you're claiming here as your main point is a falsehood dude.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
That's really all this post deserves.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think Caleb Jones is a better player than Darnell Nurse.

I'm falling off the Nurse train but this is just crazy talk. Jones is just establishing himself as a decent #5 level defender. Nurse is a proven #3ish trying to get to the next level. He is struggling for sure but Jones ain't good enough to hold Nurses jock strap... Yet.

Long ways to go for Jones.

Bear on the other hand. If he can have another off season or two like he did this year and keep pushing... Has a legit shot at being a star defenseman. That would be crazy. Bear is currently looking better than Nurse although I'd still be hesitant to say he actually is better unequivocally.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm falling off the Nurse train but this is just crazy talk. Jones is just establishing himself as a decent #5 level defender. Nurse is a proven #3ish trying to get to the next level. He is struggling for sure but Jones ain't good enough to hold Nurses jock strap... Yet.

Long ways to go for Jones.

Bear on the other hand. If he can have another off season or two like he did this year and keep pushing... Has a legit shot at being a star defenseman. That would be crazy. Bear is currently looking better than Nurse although I'd still be hesitant to say he actually is better unequivocally.
Sure Jones has a way to go but he is a lot better than Bear was for us before this season so he could be just one offseason away from putting it together

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Sure Jones has a way to go but he is a lot better than Bear was for us before this season so he could be just one offseason away from putting it together

People have short memories.

Bear outplayed Jones every step of the way minus his injury riddled year.

Jones struggled mightily last call up when asked to step into a top 4 role.

That's how I remember it anyways. People just forget how good Bear was 2 years ago.

Jones could be only a year away or could never progress it's a crap shoot. But I really like what I've started to see from Jones and agree at this point the sky's the limit.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad