Player Discussion Ethan Bear: It's a Bear Market

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Hes been looking really good this season. You can tell hes quicker and stronger.

Nurse and Bear complement each other well. Larsson and Nurse have trouble getting pucks out their zone. So this is a beautiful change.

Still early though, and hes a rookie so hopefully he can keep it up long term.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
If he develops into a top 4 RD, that will be huge for us.

We're already stacked with LD in the system, we can easily cobble something together with Klefbomb, Nurse, Lagesson, Jones, Samorukov, and Broberg.

Prior to this season, things on RD were looking pretty bleak.
  • Larsson has steadily regressed since the year we made the playoffs
  • Benning seems to have hit his ceiling as a capable 3RD
  • We completely rolled the dice on Persson. Before training camp I don't think Bear was expected to make the team, at least by the majority of the fans.
In a couple years, having three RD who can effectively move the puck will really bolster the speed of our team.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the offence will come with him, but what's most impressive is his ability to retrieve pucks, get them to the forwards, and he's been doing a good job defending and winning puck battles. Such incredible patience on this kid, and very high hockey IQ.

Reactions: KYams17 and Bangers

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Playing really well.
Got caught out there against the Devils top line and was partially responsible for the Devils 3-2 goal but thats going to happen from time to time.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
This thread reminds me of Diamondillium's Bear postings on the prospect ranking threads a few years ago.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Oiler stocks are going up, wayyyyyy up.

If the Oilers and Bear keep playing like this...

RYLkyGw8NwviBDmoZTL5gt0H2Ak=.gif

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I remember when some posters were suggesting Bear would be the one we let go in the expansion draft. I’m glad those opinions changed. So happy for this kid.
He could still be the player that gets pried loose. Nurse and Klefbom are certainly better. Not sure if Bouchard needs protection. Russell has the NMC nuance.. Larsson may bounce back … Bear may be the odd man out even if we go 4F 4D route.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We should look up the off season 'prospect ranking voting' to see how bad it undervalued Bear.

Reactions: harpoon

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
As long as he isn't getting embarrassed in the defensive zone his value for a team like the Oilers will be high. Team has needed anything even resembling his skill set for years. Same could be said for Persson at this point, tbh.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
He could still be the player that gets pried loose. Nurse and Klefbom are certainly better. Not sure if Bouchard needs protection. Russell has the NMC nuance.. Larsson may bounce back … Bear may be the odd man out even if we go 4F 4D route.

Looks like the expansion draft is at the end of next season.
  • TMac did us a huge favour by forcing Chia to send Bouchard down last year. As a result, Bouchard will not need to be protected.
  • Russell will not need to be protected, because he will have just played out his contract.
  • Nuge and Larsson will be pending UFA's, but we hold onto their rights until July 1st. They will need to be protected.
  • As for players in the system, JP, Benson, Marody, Yamamoto, Bear, Jones, Lagesson, and Persson need to be protected.
My protected list, if I had to choose today (7F 3D): McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Neal, Kassian, Benson, Yamamoto | Klefbomb, Nurse, Bear

Bear > Larsson because I'd rather hang onto the blossoming young guy vs the vet who is slowly getting phased out due to the current state of the game.

Edit: this clause "One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons." will complicate things.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He's finally starting to live up to the potential I saw in him a few years ago. Glad he's not making me look bad like most of my other calls. Hope he can stay healthy and keep it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad