Post-Game Talk: Ethan Bear Hype Train - One Year Delayed, But We’re Finally Here Boys!

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I hope they sign Burdasov, at the very least he looks to be a serviceable bottom sixer. Obviously it's based on a limited showing but he has good positioning and is defensively aware.
At the very least I think he's shown better than Nygard and Haas thus far. Those two could benefit with some AHL time, imo. Still hasn't had the opportunity to really get his shot off either, too...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For some of us it isn’t a hype train.
There were a few fans who have been solid in their support for this kid for several years now while most of the board was in love with Jones. Man ... I said I wouldn’t give the Oilers any more money until they make the playoffs. But an Ethan Bear jersey would be sweet. :laugh:

I always liked Bear offensively. He's got so much confidence with puck in offensive zone. If he simplifies more in D zone its better for him. He needs a strong partner.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Haas had a decent outing but as I said pregame Nygard is just nothing. Drai and Burdasov may as well have been playing with themselves... thats sounds wrong but..

Anyway I can't see Granlund making the club.

People didn't comment on this but Smith was solid tonight for preseason. Not much he could do on the first one which was a letter perfect midair bunt. Those are always unexpected.

I dont think Granlund has been good, but I think he's more of a sure bet than Haas, would prefer to see him there at 14F. Has experience scoring double digit goals and playing as a PKer in over 300 career NHL games. I dont think he's been good in the preseason, but I think he didn't look bad. The "bad year" he had last year is imo Haas' best case scenario.

Only advantage I think Haas has is that he shoots Right.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
The 2 Neal assists were smart plays.
He has a top 6 spot locked up.

What a fleecing!

Yes under rated in all the games so far is how he can one touch the puck to open guys. If he plays with McD I could see 60 points

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Awesome game by Bear, Jurco, and Burdasov. Wow. This is exactly you want to see out of bubble players and Oilers fans got their wish in some additions that can play.

Our topsix looks so much better now, and that we could even have some topnine mojo going on.

Holland has done so much of a better job bringing in some guys that can play. Neal, Sheehan, Archibald included in that.

This team can make the playoffs this season. We're rolling lines nicely now.
Just need to turn Larsson+Benning into Pietrangelo and we are set.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I always liked Bear offensively. He's got so much confidence with puck in offensive zone. If he simplifies more in D zone its better for him. He needs a strong partner.

He just needs what every young defenceman needs.... sheltered experience. It's just too bad that sheltered experience gaining spot has been wasted on Benning for 4 years.

Possibly if we cut ties to that talentless hack we might have kept Gustaffson.

Reactions: B33K33PING

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Smith makes a huge difference with his puck handling skills. I noticed that russell was jumping up into the play alot tonight. Not sure if that was just me

Yeah, with how unskilled our defence is at transitioning the puck, as long as Smith is like playing over .900 I think we want him "starting."

Reactions: Consultant

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Manning should be on a bus down to Bakersfield right now.

No, that useless twit doesn't get to fly. You'll Greyhound and you'll like it.

I wouldn't even let him and Benning on the bus.

They can get to Bako like this.

Dumb-and-Dumber-1.jpg

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Despite Jurco obviously lighting it up, I think Burdasov might actually be the better player. Hard to gauge.

Burdasov is so intriguing because he does the little things when the Oilers have the puck, and then he has that shot. But when the other team has the puck, he doesn't do much defensively, he never recovers the puck. Neither checking the other team or getting to a loose puck.

I just think he's run out of time. He's not done enough to demand to be signed, and it's time to ice the final line up to be ready for game 1.

Also, remember there is that thing about his ask; the word was he won't sign for less than $1.7M and based on that I would get the sense he won't happily put in work adapting his game in the AHL. An impatience or sense of entitlement might quietly keep him from getting signed too.

Reactions: Pomee

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Burdasov is so intriguing because he does the little things when the Oilers have the puck, and then he has that shot. But when the other team has the puck, he doesn't do much defensively, he never recovers the puck. Neither checking the other team or getting to a loose puck.

I just think he's run out of time. He's not done enough to demand to be signed, and it's time to ice the final line up to be ready for game 1.

Also, remember there is that thing about his ask; the word was he won't sign for less than $1.7M and based on that I would get the sense he won't happily put in work adapting his game in the AHL. An impatience or sense of entitlement might quietly keep him from getting signed too.

I disagree RE: Burdasov without the puck. He was always in the right spot, and filled lanes nicely. And he had a number of very very solid poke checks.

Offensively he keeps guys honest because from 30 to 40 ft he has a rocket for a wrist shot, and he does a good job finding open men. He supports the puck and the rush, and plays a simple straight line game. I like him.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Things I learned tonight:

• Bear is going to be fun to watch.
  • Jurco has moves.
  • Burdasov is not making this team.
  • Chugging mustard during sports is a thing (prevents cramping, apparently)
kerryon-johnsonjpg-ff39b7f642a46d1b.jpg

Had no idea about the mustard thing that's interesting.

Burdasov not making the team is even more interesting.

Why no Burd?

I like the Burd

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

I actually thought the opposite. He seemed very responsible in his own end, and backchecked quite well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I disagree RE: Burdasov without the puck. He was always in the right spot, and filled lanes nicely. And he had a number of very very solid poke checks.

Offensively he keeps guys honest because from 30 to 40 ft he has a rocket for a wrist shot, and he does a good job finding open men. He supports the puck and the rush, and plays a simple straight line game. I like him.

This is the goods. Burdasov playing a good game in all areas, playing large, and I saw him chipping pucks out, or battling, and he's so smart getting into areas and underrated skater. He cuts nicely, flows into spots well but his anticipation is very good considering lack of NHL experience.

Frankly its amazing how well he is thinking the NHL game this quickly. It only gets better.

Jurco as well really getting it done here. Made nice plays as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad