ESPN signs 7 year deal with the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
Synergy is everything in this day and age

FF to 19:30 in this clip where Pierre McGuire gives congrats to ESPN and says we don't know who gets the other half of the package

McGuire: Why don't Habs draw more penalties?

Last week the NBA's best-known analyst was on Jimmy Kimmel Live and look at what he was wearing

Pierre McGuire has ESPN written all over him. I can easily see him going at it with Stephen A and Max

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Pierre McGuire has ESPN written all over him. I can easily see him going at it with Stephen A and Max

Pierre has a contract with TSN to provide daily hits at a scheduled time in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal and his 5 PM hit with Mitch Melnick in Montreal is TSN's most listened to stream in the US. TSN is 25% owned by ESPN which under Canadian law is the most they can own.

Could Gary Thorne come back? The Orioles severed ties with him so........................

Thorne continued to do college hockey on ESPN until the Orioles forbid it

As a BU grad I will never forget this

Steve Levy as an ESPN voice again? :thumbu:

ESPN enraged Bettman by making a big deal over this as our beloved webmaster @Buffaloed knows

Gary Thorne's comments were not forgotten by the NHL

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
Pierre has a contract with TSN to provide daily hits at a scheduled time in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal and his 5 PM hit with Mitch Melnick in Montreal is TSN's most listened to stream in the US. TSN is 25% owned by ESPN which under Canadian law is the most they can own.

Could Gary Thorne come back? The Orioles severed ties with him so........................

Thorne continued to do college hockey on ESPN until the Orioles forbid it

As a BU grad I will never forget this

Steve Levy as an ESPN voice again? :thumbu:

ESPN enraged Bettman by making a big deal over this as our beloved webmaster @Buffaloed knows

Gary Thorne's comments were not forgotten by the NHL

I want Gary Thorne to come back and call one last season. However, I imagine he would just call a few regular season games and stick to the east coast. I can’t imagine Gary travelling to LA or Edmonton to call a regular season game. Steve levy is fine

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
As a Pens fan there may be one negative to this. It popularity grows then tickets will be even more expensive. Bleh

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
As a Pens fan there may be one negative to this. It popularity grows then tickets will be even more expensive. Bleh

Doubtful. They didn’t rise horribly the last time ESPN had the contract. And considering this team will be on the downturn the bulk of this deal, tickets won’t be going up all that much between now and then.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Wow, thanks for ruining my optimism here lol. Because that's most definitely going to happen.
Thats actually ESPN's policy to never leave a game in action it has been that way for at least a decade now happens to all sports. There was just a joke last week on Twitter how they should rename ESPNNews to the game is in Overtime Network lol.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Watching the TSN report last night, one of their guys said the contract is for over 1,100 games over the contract.

The devil is in the details here. NBC televised 100+ per season. That math works out to 150+. I want to know if that count is all games on one of the ESPN networks, or if ESPN+ games are in that number as well.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Watching the TSN report last night, one of their guys said the contract is for over 1,100 games over the contract.

The devil is in the details here. NBC televised 100+ per season. That math works out to 150+. I want to know if that count is all games on one of the ESPN networks, or if ESPN+ games are in that number as well.
probably a combination of the 2.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Probably includes playoffs as well, which boosts the numbers

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

We'll see what happens, but I'll be surprised if streaming is part of this, beyond the ability for them to show ESPN games on ESPN+ (and to authenticated ESPN subscribers, of course).

Someone is going to buy the full out of market streaming package (NHL.TV). Maybe that's Disney, maybe that's someone else. If it is, they can continue to show an ESPN+ game of the night, or scrap NHL.TV and put everything on there.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
We'll see what happens, but I'll be surprised if streaming is part of this, beyond the ability for them to show ESPN games on ESPN+ (and to authenticated ESPN subscribers, of course).

Someone is going to buy the full out of market streaming package (NHL.TV). Maybe that's Disney, maybe that's someone else. If it is, they can continue to show an ESPN+ game of the night, or scrap NHL.TV and put everything on there.

Seems likely, indeed.

I think we have reached the "consolidation phase" of streaming.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA

Isn’t this what MLS did? They got rid of their Direct Kick package, to put every local game on ESPN+?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
25 games basically works out to 1 per week. The question comes to how much of that gets backloaded to later in the season. And are those 1100 ESPN+ games off-limits to the other rights holder? If so, that only leaves 30 games total for presumably NBC, and this ESPN deal is pushed as half of the deal in a 1230-game season.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
25 games basically works out to 1 per week. The question comes to how much of that gets backloaded to later in the season. And are those 1100 ESPN+ games off-limits to the other rights holder? If so, that only leaves 30 games total for presumably NBC, and this ESPN deal is pushed as half of the deal in a 1230-game season.

The release says 75 games would be exclusive to ESPN+ / Hulu so those would be off limits to other rights holders (at least national). The 1100 number is the rest of the nhl.tv out of market inventory.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
If ESPN+ is streaming 1,100 games perhaps NBC/CBS/FOX will be covering the other roughly 200 or so games, eliminating most of the American market for NHL.tv.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
If ESPN+ is streaming 1,100 games perhaps NBC/CBS/FOX will be covering the other roughly 200 or so games, eliminating most of the American market for NHL.tv.

For streamers, 75 regular season telecasts will appear exclusively on ESPN+ and Hulu. The NHL’s out-of-market package will also now be available to stream only as part of ESPN+, meaning fans can access more than 1,000 live out-of-market telecasts with the service.

per the streamable.com

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

That's my big wonder, too. 1100 games is 157/season, which is basically their current 'Game of the Night'. Currently, you still get those games on NHL.TV, as Disney has the rights to it anyway.

Is Disney going to retain NHL.TV and the whole digital arm? Is the league planning to go back to selling NHL.TV on their own?

If, say, Amazon bought the rest of it would you need both packages to get every market game?

___
EDIT: Or did I completely misread it, and 1,100 is annually, meaning NHL.TV is moving to ESPN+ (what I've longed hoped for)!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia