ESPN signs 7 year deal with the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
While terms of the agreement—which has yet to be finalized—remain murky, it is believed that ESPN will pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 billion to $2.25 billion for the package.

ESPN, NHL on Verge of New Multiyear Media Rights Deal – Sportico.com

Would work out to about $285 million a year (on the low end) with another half of the package to sell (though that one will be less).

Probably looking at a little over $500 million a year in total when both packages are sold.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Its nice that ESPN will help grow hockey. But if there isn't a way to stream games then this will be a major wasted opportunity.

No one has cable anymore. Let us pay to stream games without forcing us to pay for 100 channels no one watches.

Disney & ESPN are betting heavily on the streaming side going forward. Can't imagine this deal not being stream centric.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
So...did Disney/ESPN really just tell the NFL to get f***ed on their 50% hike request...so they could afford the NHL?!

When you consider that by taking half of the NHL rights (no matter if NBC still takes the other half), they basically killed of another 24/7 sports competitor, it probably makes long term sense.

NBC at the very least will have to be more like Turner and be more strategic and won’t be a stalking horse anymore.

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
While terms of the agreement—which has yet to be finalized—remain murky, it is believed that ESPN will pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 billion to $2.25 billion for the package.

ESPN, NHL on Verge of New Multiyear Media Rights Deal – Sportico.com
Thanks for posting that so fast. I agree. It is looking like 500 to 600 million a year if those numbers are correct. The exposure could be much better for the league. I like what Fox did for the NHL in the late 90's. I am still kind of routing the NBC to retain the other 50% based mostly on loyalty with the long term relationship they have developed.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Its nice that ESPN will help grow hockey. But if there isn't a way to stream games then this will be a major wasted opportunity.

No one has cable anymore. Let us pay to stream games without forcing us to pay for 100 channels no one watches.

No one has cable is nonsense. Yes there are still a WHOLE lot of households that has some sort of tv package through a provider. Not everyone has the internet and/or even wants to get into the whole streaming thing.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
So...did Disney/ESPN really just tell the NFL to get f***ed on their 50% hike request...so they could afford the NHL?!

No, I think they are getting rid of the non-exclusive weekday MLB telecasts in favor having the Stanley Cup Playoffs as well more content for ESPN +. MNF will remain on ESPN with some ABC simulcast games and ABC in Super Bowl rotation but not at a 50% increase.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
No one has cable is nonsense. Yes there are still a WHOLE lot of households that has some sort of tv package through a provider. Not everyone has the internet and/or even wants to get into the whole streaming thing.

More people have cable than just streaming services. And services like Sling, YouTube tv and fobu are essentially cable tv packages.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, those people are called senior citizens. Every year less and less people pay for cable and opt for streaming options. I'm in my 30s and literally not a single person I know pays for cable.

If streaming options aren't a part of this ESPN deal then it is a massive failure.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
FOX was the best television partner the NHL ever had. ESPN/ABC, the worst.

At the end of the last ESPN/ABC deal, the NHL was kicked off ABC and got a lowball offer to be on ESPN2 that the league declined.

Last time, they treated the NHL like dirt. I really hope for the league’s sake that this time is different.

Agreed. I really hope the league did it's due diligence on this before getting back into what was once an abusive relationship.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Thanks for posting that so fast. I agree. It is looking like 500 to 600 million a year if those numbers are correct. The exposure could be much better for the league. I like what Fox did for the NHL in the late 90's. I am still kind of routing the NBC to retain the other 50% based mostly on loyalty with the long term relationship they have developed.

That's what I've been thinking and saying all along for the past cpl years. $500-600m yr

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe from Maine

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
Yes, those people are called senior citizens. Every year less and less people pay for cable and opt for streaming options. I'm in my 30s and literally not a single person I know pays for cable.

If streaming options aren't a part of this ESPN deal then it is a massive failure.

It does sound like ESPN+ is going to be a major component in all of this. It could also be why NBC still has the the upper hand of having the second half of any future contract, Fox's streaming options are quite limited compared to ESPN and NBC.

Reactions: FriendlySpungo

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It does sound like ESPN+ is going to be a major component in all of this. It could also be why NBC still has the the upper hand of having the second half of any future contract, Fox's streaming options are quite limited compared to ESPN and NBC.

I think streaming is important to the networks, not necessarily the league (except in how it drives up price). I guess it depends on what the espn+ portion entails. If there is exclusivity to the “out of market games” like espn+ currently has then there may not be much for Peacock and NBC and Fox would be on more equal footing. That streaming exclusivity is something that ESPN would pay up for.

Eric Cartman22

Apr 13, 2020
The NHL being on ESPN is good for the growth of the sport. I’m watching sportscenter right now and they already seem to be showing more hockey highlights. I thought their World Cup of Hockey coverage was pretty good. Now the question is who gets the other half of the rights. I think Fox is willing to pay more but NBC has the better streaming option.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm already prepared for a nationally broadcast NHL game being delayed so that ESPNU can finish airing a Missouri Valley Conference regular season game that went into overtime.
Wow, thanks for ruining my optimism here lol. Because that's most definitely going to happen.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Lots and lots of people unfortunately. And if we include those who have internet but at very low speeds who can't stream, that number goes up.
Realistically though how many are in that situation with low speeds or no internet and want to watch hockey but can't? Probably not many. And the people that can and are having problems with trying to watch have....other means they more than likely go to. lol

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Until the other shoe drops, we have no way of accurately looking at the deal.

I would guess ESPN will be allowed to simulcast games ESPECIALLY in the SCF on ABC. I would also expect ESPN to take control of the NHL Network and that would bring TSN people into the mix.

I can tell you honestly that NBC still does not know if they are in or out.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Imagine a world where in a given year, the Cup Finals and NBA finals have all games on ABC. Imagine during the NBA finals games, they advertise for the Cup finals. The commentators even talk about it every now and then. And one segment during halftime covering the Cup Finals. And all of this leads to an uptick in Cup Finals ratings.

What a wonderful world.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Imagine a world where in a given year, the Cup Finals and NBA finals have all games on ABC. Imagine during the NBA finals games, they advertise for the Cup finals. The commentators even talk about it every now and then. And one segment during halftime covering the Cup Finals. And all of this leads to an uptick in Cup Finals ratings.

What a wonderful world.

Synergy is everything in this day and age

FF to 19:30 in this clip where Pierre McGuire gives congrats to ESPN and says we don't know who gets the other half of the package

McGuire: Why don't Habs draw more penalties?

Last week the NBA's best-known analyst was on Jimmy Kimmel Live and look at what he was wearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad