ESPN: Mount "Puckmore" for All 31 Franchises

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I don’t have a problem with Stanley cups being a criteria for a teams Mount Rushmore. To me it’s what have you done for the franchise, not how great of a player you were. In fact for hawks I’d go Mikita, Toews, Kane, Keith. Tony O was a great goalie in the regular season, but I will never forgive him for costing us the cup in 71. Giving up a goal from center ice to Lemaire still pisses me off

You have the Hawks without Bobby Hull???

RSPens

May 25, 2015
So I've gone through every post so far and no one has even mentioned the omission of Cheevers from Boston...I mean I wouldn't put his face up there, but the mask for sure. The other glaring omissions in my opinion are Nieuwendyk and MacDonald from Calgary.

Vancouver is an interesting one as you can make a serious case for Luongo, McLean, Naslund even Brodeur.
Nolan has to be there for San Jose as he was the first face of the Franchise.
Robitaille has to be there for LA as well as Dionne and Doughty, but leaving Kopitar off is just wrong.
Sure in 10-15 years McDavid will be there for Edmonton, but currently you've got to have Fuhr.
Ottawa definitely needs to make room for Spezza.
I also think Belfour needs to be there for Dallas, but if they are including the North Stars it makes it difficult.
Some teams definitely need more than 4 spots

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I may have picked Kane or Keith for Chicago but totally okay with Toews being there instead.
Any of those 3 is valid.

Also I may have gone with Barrasso over Malkin for the Penguins.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I may have picked Kane or Keith for Chicago but totally okay with Toews being there instead.
Any of those 3 is valid.

Also I may have gone with Barrasso over Malkin for the Penguins.
This is just awful. Toews barely makes a top 25 Blackhawks list but you have him top 4, I don’t understand one bit and I am not a Hawks fan.

When Toews tops guys like Hull, Savard, Pilote, Hall, Mikita or Tony E for that matter, call me. Toews hasn’t reached Roenick level yet.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
This is just awful. Toews barely makes a top 25 Blackhawks list but you have him top 4, I don’t understand one bit and I am not a Hawks fan.

When Toews tops guys like Hull, Savard, Pilote, Hall, Mikita or Tony E for that matter, call me. Toews hasn’t reached Roenick level yet.

Maybe the bolded is why you don't understand.
Toews, Kane, and Keith are the faces of this team and have led them to 3 cups after 40+ years of nothing.
The franchise was a laughing stock until they came along.

I think most Hawks fans will be just fine with Toews being among the top 4.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Maybe the bolded is why you don't understand.
Toews, Kane, and Keith are the faces of this team and have led them to 3 cups after 40+ years of nothing.
The franchise was a laughing stock until they came along.

I think most Hawks fans will be just fine with Toews being among the top 4.
I don’t think so. Go do some reading and impact those names had on the BH that I listed because clearly this might be the first time you ever heard of them. Cheers though, remember we all have opinions.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Heatley is in Ottawa's top four. Back to back 50 goal, 100 point seasons.

Alfredsson, Karlsson, Heatley, Chara

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
I don’t think so. Go do some reading and impact those names had on the BH that I listed because clearly this might be the first time you ever heard of them. Cheers though, remember we all have opinions.
I’ve been a hawk fan since 1970, and i would put all three on the mount and leave hull off for leaving for Winnipeg and Esposito off for blowing game 7 in 1971.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It's the Thrashers/Jets franchise. You guys were quick to forget in your revelry that a fanbase was losing their team.

You're wrong about that Kranix. We never forget that Atlanta lost their team and that's why we understand the Thrashers history belongs to the fine folks of Atlanta. Kovalchuk played for those fans and not the ones in Winnipeg. They may have lost their team but they certainly don't need us trying to hijack their memories by claiming him as one of ours. As NFL legend Johnny Unitas pointed out when the Indianapolis Colts wanted to retire his number shortly after the team relocated there from Baltimore, he flatly rejected the offer stating that he played for the fans of Baltimore not Indianapolis. We will always treat all Winnipeg Jets players (WHA, NHL 1.0 and 2.0) as our own as they all played for the fans of Winnipeg.

:jets

Reactions: sabremike

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
why not? Of course Gretzky is one of the Kings top 4 players ever.

The Kings need to swap in Kopitar for Luc

I’d rather swap Gretzky for Kopitar and keep Luc. He is The Great One, but when I think of the Kings I think Luc before Wayne.

Luc was the one who went ballistic in ‘92-‘93 and got the Kings into position to make that run. Not saying it was Greztky’s fault he was hurt, but that was their best year while Wayne was in LA.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I’d rather swap Gretzky for Kopitar and keep Luc. He is The Great One, but when I think of the Kings I think Luc before Wayne.
Gretzky did put up over 900 points for LA and won a Hart and 3 Art Ross trophies there.

He'll always be remembered as an Oiler, which to an extent limits his legacy in LA, but I think he deserves to be remembered as one of the 4 most important players in franchise history.

Reactions: BringTheReign

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It's the Thrashers/Jets franchise. You guys were quick to forget in your revelry that a fanbase was losing their team.

Haven't forgotten, I just tend to think of teams as new teams when they move and leave the old history where it happened
Also, in this case it just said "Winnipeg"

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Haven't forgotten, I just tend to think of teams as new teams when they move and leave the old history where it happened
Also, in this case it just said "Winnipeg"
It said Winnipeg/Atlanta in the article. I was just too lazy to type out all the different team names for franchises that have moved around.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Ottawa building a Mount Puckmore with Yashin's face on it would be priceless.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
History be damned.
If you even considering Atlanta players with Jets, then Jets 1.0 should be fair game.

As far as I'm concerned, they should replace "Koval" with "Hawer", and to not have Selanne on there is an abomination. (i know they didn't include Jets 1.0, but the whole "history" thing is assinine).

If I were to have Selanne and Hawerchuk, then I'd pair them with Scheif (1st pick of Jets2.0, stellar player) and Wheeler. (Buff honourable mention)

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Honestly this might be a little controversial but I have Johnny Bucyk over Shore by a hair. He's the all time leading goal scorer and #2 in points behind Bourque. He's effectively top-2 or 3 in almost every all-time important offensive categories. He played 21 years for the franchise and has continued to have a role with the team for well after that. He's effectively been with the Bruins for 60 years. Shore had the higher peak and was more popular for his time but on my personal Mount Rushmore I can't leave Chief off.

Orr-Bourque-Esposito-Bucyk

HM: Shore-Chara-Bergeron-Neely

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad