ESPN looks at the standings with different point systems

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I do think its time to change the point system in the NHL. Do away with the Regulation and regulation/overtime win column in the standings and encompass it into the point system.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Doesn’t account for the fact that teams are not currently playing for 3pt regulation wins. The mentality going into games, and specifically the end of a close 3rd period would be much different under a new point system
I mean he addresses that point in the article it'self so I would say he does take it into account.

HockeySniper

May 13, 2018
I like the 1 point for a win and 0 for a loss. Nice and simple. Also get rid of secondary assists

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Whether you like the SO or not, it is quite popular with the masses as a way to determine regular season games
Is it? I don't think this is true. Shootouts are pretty universally hated, and it becomes more and more so every year.

That's why the NHL has been trying to limit them.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The best teams are the best teams no matter which method they use. The current one makes it seem closer so more fans pay attention through the year. It's understandable.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
For me the points system should be: 2 points for a win, 1 for a shootout loss, no points for an overtime or regulation loss.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The difference between a win and an OT loss should be more than 1 point imo. It is still a loss at the end of the day

I don’t agree with any points given in a ot loss under the current situation. The 3-2-1 makes sense

anytime you change the point system is screws with records though

Do you have any idea how many more regulation ties there will be with a 3-2-1 system? Its nuts now. It will be off the hook then

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
It's a lot harder to make up ground in today's system; you win a regulation game and the teams you are chasing get half or the same amount of points as you do for playing in a mini game

The argument that the current point system keeps teams closer together is complete bunk. A team that wins most of their games in the first half of the seasson and falls apart in the second half of the season is just as likely to miss the playoffs regardless of the point system

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Is it? I don't think this is true. Shootouts are pretty universally hated, and it becomes more and more so every year.

That's why the NHL has been trying to limit them.
Nothing was as exciting as knowing that a loss or a tie and you'd be out of the playoffs. The Sabres I believed scored in 90 to tie the Penguins and knock them out of the playoffs. I still remember that

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
W 2 pts
OT win 1.75 / OT L .25
SO win 1.5 / SO L .5

All games are 2 point games this way.

But honestly I don't see a problem with the current system or the 3/2/1.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Meh, win more than you lose and you’ll get in to the dance.

If you’re worried about matchups then maybe you’re not as good as you think you are

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
3/2/1.5/1/0

3 for win in reg
2 for O/T win
1 for O/T loss
1.5 for tie
0 for loss in reg

Overtime should be 10 min of 3v3, if no one scores the game is "tied"
Make a red line violation.
If you are in the oppositions end, you cannot bring or pass the puck back beyond the red line.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
3 for Regulation win
2 for OT win, add shot clock and once you gain center you can not move back to your side of center.
1 point for SO win
0 points for any loss.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
An overtime win should be 1 point and an overtime loss should be a big, fat zero. The current system rewards OT way too much. Win in regulation if you want 2 points.

malkshake

Jan 12, 2012
Vancouver
2 points for win, 1 for tie, 0 for loss. Make the overtime 3 v 3 10 minutes long and get rid of the shootout. I'm sick of teams playing it safe to get the loser point as I'm sure many of us are as well.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Just stop giving out loser points. Winner gets 2 loser gets 0 regardless of OT or shootout.
Than you will get some teams playing defensive in OT hoping to get a win the shoot-out. Especially the low skill teams. Last thing you want is to take the excitement out of OT with teams just trying to defend for 5 mins.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Do you have any idea how many more regulation ties there will be with a 3-2-1 system? Its nuts now. It will be off the hook then

Boston is really milking that system and it screwed with the standings. I agree that neither are perfect but a 2 point difference between a regulation win and a OT loss makes more sense. It also makes more sense that a OT win is worth less than a regulation win. I’d even say 2-1-0 might be best.

Brian Burke’s summary of a shootout is almost perfect “The NFL doesn’t line their quarter backs at the 50 yard line and throw footballs through a tire to settle a regulation tie”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad