ESPN looks at the standings with different point systems

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Boston is really milking that system and it screwed with the standings. I agree that neither are perfect but a 2 point difference between a regulation win and a OT loss makes more sense.

Again, it doesn't make more sense. I looked quickly. Washington, Boston, St Louis have all played a third of their games to overtime. If you think that making a divisional/conference game a 6pt swing rather than a 4pt swing wont push more games to OT, you are just wrong.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
They will probably always capitulate to casual fans that hate them regarding ties. It's all about television. Ties would happen far more often in the NHL than in the NFL, the biggest North American league that allows for the possibility of ties. Most other leagues have OT play that can commence immediately, but hockey has the problem that the ice needs to be resurfaced, so it's either a finite period of OT (I don't know how much longer is feasible the ice becomes too poor, but I assume it's not much more than 5 minutes) or another extended break to bring out the Zamboni. Playoffs are a different beast but again, likely due to television, it's probably not practical for the regular season given how often it happens.

As long as there is a shootout, there has to be some version of the loser point. It's just a gimmick to entertain casual fans and award a winner but it's too silly to be of consequence (I cannot for the life of me understand how something like the FIFA World Cup can come down to penalty kicks). Some would argue the same about 3 on 3 OT. But again, hockey has a television problem.

3-2-1 I think would be the best system given the television problem. Every game is worth 3 points. It would put extra emphasis on regulation wins and make teams play harder at the end of the 3rd. There could even conceivably be times when teams have to pull their goalie in tie games in a end of regular season playoff push. All of which would be good for television.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
So basically, barely anything changes. In that case, could everyone complaining please stop whining about something so trivial?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Again, it doesn't make more sense. I looked quickly. Washington, Boston, St Louis have all played a third of their games to overtime. If you think that making a divisional/conference game a 6pt swing rather than a 4pt swing wont push more games to OT, you are just wrong.

I actually edited my post suggesting a 2-1-0 system

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
3 on 3 OT does not suck. It's really exciting. Otherwise don't know what the answer is. I would vote for the 3-2-1 even though I understand why people hate the loser point.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
For me the points system should be: 2 points for a win, 1 for a shootout loss, no points for an overtime or regulation loss.

My team gets 2 points for a win
My team gets 1 point for a shootout loss
My team gets 0 points for a overtime and regulation loss
Guess what my team will do late in a tied game and in overtime? They will play for a shootout so that they will get 1 point at the very least with a chance at 2 if they win in a shootout.

2 for a win, 0 for a loss. 1 point for a draw. Scrap the shootouts and the "someone has to win OT's".

You play the game to win so when there are ties its bad because it makes you feel empty as if everything was for nothing and you don't have the thrill of victory and agony of defeat which you learn a lot from. When I play against someone in sports or video games I would rather lose then get a tie that is how bad ties are to me. If you bring back ties you will have teams play for a tie late in games resulting in so many damn ties as we had seen before.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
(reformatted for comparison's sake)

CURRENT
3-2-1
2-1-0
1-0
Atlantic
Boston Bruins - 68Boston Bruins - 93Boston Bruins - 53Tampa Bay Lightning - 29
Tampa Bay Lightning - 62Tampa Bay Lightning - 86Tampa Bay Lightning - 53Boston Bruins - 28
Florida Panthers - 57Florida Panthers - 78Florida Panthers - 47Florida Panthers - 26
Toronto Maple Leafs - 57Toronto Maple Leafs - 77 Toronto Maple Leafs - 45Toronto Maple Leafs - 25
Buffalo Sabres - 51Buffalo Sabres - 68Buffalo Sabres - 39Buffalo Sabres - 22
Montreal Canadiens - 51Montreal Canadiens - 66Montreal Canadiens - 37Montreal Canadiens - 22
Ottawa Senators - 42Ottawa Senators - 55Ottawa Senators - 30Ottawa Senators - 17
Detroit Red Wings - 28Detroit Red Wings - 38Detroit Red Wings - 22Detroit Red Wings - 12
Central
St. Louis Blues - 68St. Louis Blues - 92St. Louis Blues - 54St. Louis Blues - 30
Colorado Avalanche - 62Colorado Avalanche - 84Colorado Avalanche - 51Colorado Avalanche - 27
Dallas Stars - 58Dallas Stars - 78Dallas Stars - 47Dallas Stars - 27
Winnipeg Jets - 54Winnipeg Jets - 72Winnipeg Jets - 43Winnipeg Jets - 25
Chicago Blackhawks - 54Chicago Blackhawks - 72Chicago Blackhawks - 42Chicago Blackhawks - 24
Nashville Predators - 51Minnesota Wild - 70Minnesota Wild - 42Nashville Predators - 22
Minnesota Wild - 50Nashville Predators - 70Nashville Predators - 41Minnesota Wild - 22
Metropolitan
Washington Capitals - 71Washington Capitals - 95Washington Capitals - 57Washington Capitals - 33
Pittsburgh Penguins - 67Pittsburgh Penguins - 88Pittsburgh Penguins - 52Pittsburgh Penguins - 31
New York Islanders - 61Columbus Blue Jackets - 80Carolina Hurricanes - 48Carolina Hurricanes - 28
Columbus Blue Jackets - 60New York Islanders - 79Columbus Blue Jackets - 46New York Islanders - 28
Carolina Hurricanes - 59Carolina Hurricanes - 79New York Islanders - 46Columbus Blue Jackets - 26
Philadelphia Flyers - 58Philadelphia Flyers - 75Philadelphia Flyers - 43Philadelphia Flyers - 26
New York Rangers - 50New York Rangers - 70New York Rangers - 43New York Rangers - 23
New Jersey Devils - 41New Jersey Devils - 54New Jersey Devils - 30New Jersey Devils - 17
Pacific
Vancouver Canucks - 58Vancouver Canucks - 79Edmonton Oilers - 48Vancouver Canucks - 27
Edmonton Oilers - 57Edmonton Oilers - 79Vancouver Canucks - 48Edmonton Oilers - 26
Calgary Flames - 57Vegas Golden Knights - 76Arizona Coyotes - 45Arizona Coyotes - 26
Vegas Golden Knights - 57Arizona Coyotes - 76Vegas Golden Knights - 44Calgary Flames - 26
Arizona Coyotes - 57Calgary Flames - 74Calgary Flames - 43Vegas Golden Knights - 25
San Jose Sharks - 46San Jose Sharks - 61San Jose Sharks - 36San Jose Sharks - 21
Anaheim Ducks - 43Anaheim Ducks - 56Anaheim Ducks - 32Anaheim Ducks - 19
Los Angeles Kings - 41Los Angeles Kings - 54Los Angeles Kings - 31Los Angeles Kings - 18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2-1-0 seems to promote more parity, definitely believe if any NHL official saw this chart it might make them think about going to that formula. Obviously, you have to take into account teams might change their strategy with no OTL point.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
2 pts Reg win
1 pt OT/SO win (shoulda got it done in reg)
0 pts for a loss

This would stop the last 5 min glide to secure a point in OT when it's a tie.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Don't thnk the NHL governors will ever have the votes to do that. Getting zero points after a regulation tie because your team lost in a gimmick isn't going to fly with some teams

But that's why the winner of that gimmick only gets one point.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
The difference between a win and an OT loss should be more than 1 point imo. It is still a loss at the end of the day

I don’t agree with any points given in a ot loss under the current situation. The 3-2-1 makes sense

anytime you change the point system is screws with records though

Team point records are meaningless. That's no reason for inaction.

The more I think about it, the more I like 3-2-1. Biggest thing it has going for it is that all games have the same point value - 3 points will be awarded in every NHL game. Under the current system, some games are worth 2 points and some games are worth 3 points - it's dumb.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
2 pts Reg win
1 pt OT/SO win (shoulda got it done in reg)
0 pts for a loss

This would stop the last 5 min glide to secure a point in OT when it's a tie.

I'm worried this would bring back dead-puck hockey where teams get a 1-goal lead and then immediately go into a defensive trap.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
2 points for any win
1 point for a regulation tie

I think that is a fair and balanced system that keeps the historical value of the point system intact.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
An overtime win should be 1 point and an overtime loss should be a big, fat zero. The current system rewards OT way too much. Win in regulation if you want 2 points.
I agree with you. This is the best option.

The 3-2-1-0 thing makes some sense as well, but it's not gonna happen for two reasons:
1) pisses on the 100+ year history of the NHL (where a win has always been two points); and
2) would create too huge of imbalances between teams in the standings (drive down fan interest)

So, the best option -- which is consistent with the history of the League, and does away with the ridiculous concept of "three point games" -- is just as you suggest.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Would the NHL standings change with a different points system?

Current Standings

Atlantic Division
Metropolitan Division
Boston Bruins - 68 points​
Washington Capitals - 71 points​
Tampa Bay Lightning - 62 points​
Pittsburgh Penguins - 67 points​
Florida Panthers - 57 points​
New York Islanders - 61 points​
Toronto Maple Leafs - 57 points​
Columbus Blue Jackets - 60 points​
Buffalo Sabres - 51 points​
Carolina Hurricanes - 59 points​
Montreal Canadiens - 51 points​
Philadelphia Flyers - 58 points​
Ottawa Senators - 42 points​
New York Rangers - 50 points​
Detroit Red Wings - 28 points​
New Jersey Devils - 41 points​
Central Division
Pacific Division
St. Louis Blues - 68 points​
Vancouver Canucks - 58 points​
Colorado Avalanche - 62 points​
Edmonton Oilers - 57 points​
Dallas Stars - 58 points​
Calgary Flames - 57 points​
Winnipeg Jets - 54 points​
Vegas Golden Knights - 57 points​
Chicago Blackhawks - 54 points​
Arizona Coyotes - 57 points​
Nashville Predators - 51 points​
San Jose Sharks - 46 points​
Minnesota Wild - 50 points​
Anaheim Ducks - 43 points​
Los Angeles Kings - 41 points​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
3-2-1 Format (3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT/SO win, 1 point for an OT/SO loss)

Atlantic Division
Metropolitan Division
Boston Bruins - 93 points​
Washington Capitals - 95 points​
Tampa Bay Lightning - 86 points​
Pittsburgh Penguins - 88 points​
Florida Panthers - 78 points​
Columbus Blue Jackets - 80 points​
Toronto Maple Leafs - 77 points​
New York Islanders - 79 points​
Buffalo Sabres - 68 points​
Carolina Hurricanes - 79 points​
Montreal Canadiens - 66 points​
Philadelphia Flyers - 75 points​
Ottawa Senators - 55 points​
New York Rangers - 70 points​
Detroit Red Wings - 38 points​
New Jersey Devils - 54 points​
Central Division
Pacific Division
St. Louis Blues - 92 points​
Vancouver Canucks - 79 points​
Colorado Avalanche - 84 points​
Edmonton Oilers - 79 points​
Dallas Stars - 78 points​
Vegas Golden Knights - 76 points​
Winnipeg Jets - 72 points​
Arizona Coyotes - 76 points​
Chicago Blackhawks - 72 points​
Calgary Flames - 74 points​
Minnesota Wild - 70 points​
San Jose Sharks - 61 points​
Nashville Predators - 70 points​
Anaheim Ducks - 56 points​
Los Angeles Kings - 54 points​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2-1-0 Format (2 points for a regulation win, 1 point for an OT/SO win, 0 points for any loss)

Atlantic Division
Metropolitan Division
Boston Bruins - 53 points​
Washington Capitals - 57 points​
Tampa Bay Lightning - 53 points​
Pittsburgh Penguins - 52 points​
Florida Panthers - 47 points​
Carolina Hurricanes - 48 points​
Toronto Maple Leafs - 45 points​
Columbus Blue Jackets - 46 points​
Buffalo Sabres - 39 points​
New York Islanders - 46 points​
Montreal Canadiens - 37 points​
Philadelphia Flyers - 43 points​
Ottawa Senators - 30 points​
New York Rangers - 43 points​
Detroit Red Wings - 22 points​
New Jersey Devils - 30 points​
Central Division
Pacific Division
St. Louis Blues - 54 points​
Edmonton Oilers - 48 points​
Colorado Avalanche - 51 points​
Vancouver Canucks - 48 points​
Dallas Stars - 47 points​
Arizona Coyotes - 45 points​
Winnipeg Jets - 43 points​
Vegas Golden Knights - 44 points​
Chicago Blackhawks - 42 points​
Calgary Flames - 43 points​
Minnesota Wild - 42 points​
San Jose Sharks - 36 points​
Nashville Predators - 41 points​
Anaheim Ducks - 32 points​
Los Angeles Kings - 31 points​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Just Wins (1 point for any win, 0 points for any loss)

Atlantic Division
Metropolitan Division
Tampa Bay Lightning - 29 points​
Washington Capitals - 33 points​
Boston Bruins - 28 points​
Pittsburgh Penguins - 31 points​
Florida Panthers - 26 points​
Carolina Hurricanes - 28 wins​
Toronto Maple Leafs - 25 points​
New York Islanders - 28 points​
Buffalo Sabres - 22 points​
Columbus Blue Jackets - 26 points​
Montreal Canadiens - 22 points​
Philadelphia Flyers - 26 points​
Ottawa Senators - 17 points​
New York Rangers - 23 points​
Detroit Red Wings - 12 points​
New Jersey Devils - 17 points​
Central Division
Pacific Division
St. Louis Blues - 30 points​
Vancouver Canucks - 27 points​
Colorado Avalanche - 27 points​
Edmonton Oilers - 26 points​
Dallas Stars - 27 points​
Arizona Coyotes - 26 points​
Winnipeg Jets - 25 points​
Calgary Flames - 26 points​
Chicago Blackhawks - 24 points​
Vegas Golden Knights - 25 points​
Nashville Predators - 22 points​
San Jose Sharks - 21 points​
Minnesota Wild - 22 points​
Anaheim Ducks - 19 points​
Los Angeles Kings - 18 points​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Standings are as of this morning.

What points system should the NHL use?
You realize this is completely pointless, right? With a 3point system, regulation wins are worth more than OT wins, so teams would actually try to win during regulation instead of just starting to "play for the point" with some 10 minutes left, giving us pond hockey while both teams wait for regulation to end. You can't just directly convert them.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
As long as there is a shootout, there has to be some version of the loser point. It's just a gimmick to entertain casual fans and award a winner but it's too silly to be of consequence (I cannot for the life of me understand how something like the FIFA World Cup can come down to penalty kicks). Some would argue the same about 3 on 3 OT. But again, hockey has a television problem.

3-2-1 I think would be the best system given the television problem. Every game is worth 3 points. It would put extra emphasis on regulation wins and make teams play harder at the end of the 3rd. There could even conceivably be times when teams have to pull their goalie in tie games in a end of regular season playoff push. All of which would be good for television.

Some people might be too young to remember what was happening during the dead puck era. Fans were streaming out of buildings with 5-10 minutes left in the 3rd period of tie games. It looked horrible. The outcome of the game was far too predictable.

As much as some people may not like it, the shootout is far better than the alternative during the dead puck era.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Why do teams get a loser point lol. Dumb.

It was to encourage teams from turtling all OT back in the day. I think with the introduction of 3 on 3 they should just play that until someone wins. 2 points for winner and 0 for loser.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I would propose the revolutionary concept of the winner gets a W and the loser gets a big ole’ L.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Extend 3on3 OT to 10 minutes.

Regulation/OT win = 2pt
Regulation/OT loss = 0pt

If no winner after OT, it's a tie and split the 2pt.

Points for losing is dumb and trying to justify it is equally dumb.

member 305909

In a 3-2-1system it is theoretically possible that even if you win every game but only in OT/SO you may not win your division.

On the other hand, then it could be ssid that not winning in 60 minutes is not winning at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad