Post-Game Talk: Error Code: BOS3-2MTL Too Many Penalties Allowed

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If Bergevin is rebuilding, why are pundits saying that the Habs are looking to acquire a veteran defenceman?

I've heard kypreos say it. I've also heard "pundits" say that the Habs were looking to trade a dman just a week or so earlier, so who knows.

Anyways, if he is looking to add a dman, I'll have to wait and see the context of it.

If it means alzner is buried even deeper, and Benn's role is reduced, I'm not against it.

If it means they send a guy like mete down to the ahl, I can see some potential payoff with that.

I just know that they can't continue to give away prime chances and allow 4 or 5 goals on a consistent basis. That's not good for anyone on the roster, young and old.

What I would not want to see is adding another Benn or alzner. Guys who are built for a game that does not exist anymore, with zero upside.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Only one of those sides is even remotely pleasant to interact with on a forum, but it takes all kinds

You're right, I find it very difficult to have discussions with the believers because the refuse to accept the reality of the team. While those on the tanking side often have perspective and their finger on a realistic pulse of the team vs. the quality of the teams in the NHL.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You dont get it, all positive dosnt make it for a better conversation.
Actually I do but the running joke around these parts has to do with the whole negative non real fans being a detriment to the cause if you will. At the end of the day we are all fans but some people like to think that if you're not waving pom poms that you are not actually a fan. Most of us are tired of the Bergevin failed experiment and we want a clear vision instead of the mirage that has been presented to us for the last 7 years. Last night in pre game we celebrated the habs outdoor game against Edmonton!! Really, that's what we are now! I'd rather be known as a negative fan/nancy than applaud this.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No longer scoring 4-5 goals a game makes a huge difference. That pace was unsustainable and we all knew it. Our defensive coverage as a team however has remained consistently bad.

Yeah, I meant that the chances are still there. Everyone knew that the 4 or 5 goal games were unsustainable.

I also think allowing 4 or 5 goals is unsustainable to but this defense (and I mean as a 5 man unit) is challenging that thought.

It was masked a little bit at the start of the year because the Habs seemed to be spending more time in the other end, and carried the play a times. It simply provided less time to expose the same defense. If they can get back to that a little bit more, that's an improvement.

The other thing that might help is some extended practice time to hit the reset button. It's been a long time since the club had a 2 or 3 day break, and I'm sure there is a lot that the coaching staff wants to work on.

I'm not saying that this stuff will provide quantum leaps of improvement, but no defense should be this bad in the nhl, no matter how the cast looks like.

Reactions: Rapala

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is an 82 point team. No more, no less. We're just back to stuck in neutral instead of historically bad. No tank, no playoffs. Just existence.

No bueno. If that's the end result we're left with a bad hand both ways -- no playoffs and a bad draft pick.

If that's where the team is at, then let's keep adding futures in anticipation of the draft but without sacrificing any high end young players.

Jul 6, 2016
No bueno. If that's the end result we're left with a bad hand both ways -- no playoffs a bad draft pick.and

If that's where the team is at, then let's keep adding futures in anticipation of the draft but without sacrificing any high end young players.

Bad draft pick ? You never know. You can fall on guys like Point and Gally or Josh Brook in later rounds, and draft dogs like Leblanc, Tinordi, McCarron, etc... in a first round.

Can we have the best season we can instead of looking at "tanking" (makes me puke) ?

A team can tank when thre is no freagin hope left and a hadful of games to play... And even then, you can lose at the lottery. So....

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bad draft pick ? You never know. You can fall on guys like Point and Gally or Josh Brook in later rounds, and draft dogs like Leblanc, Tinordi, McCarron, etc... in a first round.

Can we have the best season we can instead of looking at "tanking" (makes me puke) ?

A team can tank when thre is no freagin hope left and a hadful of games to play... And even then, you can lose at the lottery. So....

So because it might not work we should not do the right things with our assets later this season if we are out of the playoffs by then?

That's like telling a guy to not invest any of his money because who know it might not work ...

Word of advice kids. Don't invest. Don't take any risk. Don't even think about trying to start a company. Cause in the end it might not work. :sarcasm: Be happy working 9-5 for 15 bucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You're right, I find it very difficult to have discussions with the believers because the refuse to accept the reality of the team. While those on the tanking side often have perspective and their finger on a realistic pulse of the team vs. the quality of the teams in the NHL.

You're right, I find it very difficult to have discussions with the believers because the refuse to accept the reality of the left. While those on the right often have perspective and their finger on a realistic pulse of the world vs. the menace of the other leftist countries in the world.

How does that sound?

Actually I do but the running joke around these parts has to do with the whole negative non real fans being a detriment to the cause if you will. At the end of the day we are all fans but some people like to think that if you're not waving pom poms that you are not actually a fan. Most of us are tired of the Bergevin failed experiment and we want a clear vision instead of the mirage that has been presented to us for the last 7 years. Last night in pre game we celebrated the habs outdoor game against Edmonton!! Really, that's what we are now! I'd rather be known as a negative fan/nancy than applaud this.

That goes both ways

Jul 6, 2016
So because it might not work we should not do the right things with our assets later this season?

That's like telling a guy to not invest any of his money because who know it might not work ...

"Tanking" is not the solution. You play your best and you lose ? Fine with it. You don't want to kill the competitive spririt of a team. Look at Edmonton.

Reactions: BLONG7

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
"Tanking" is not the solution. You play your best and you lose ? Fine with it. You don't want to kill the competitive spririt of a team. Look at Edmonton.

Keeping assets that will be too old and wortless when your core will be old enough to contend is not the solution either. Our main core is very young. If it's not erady to win now we should trade our old assets for younger assets or picks.

Holding older assets for too long is what we have been doing for 25 years and guess what it did not work either.

Reactions: Hansman

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You're right, I find it very difficult to have discussions with the believers because the refuse to accept the reality of the left. While those on the right often have perspective and their finger on a realistic pulse of the world vs. the menace of the other leftist countries in the world.

How does that sound?

That goes both ways

Hey man, you can be a cheerleader all you want. But the more support that’s given to the outdated, ridiculous practices this team has been running, the longer you’ll wait to see real success. I want to see another Stanley Cup in my life, especially as an adult. But if things don’t change, I’ll be dead well before that happens again.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bergevin made all the same mistakes Gainey and Gauthier made and some extra.
We're still small.
We traded away a valuable D prospect for something not too great in return
And now we have no 1D at all.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I disagree.I want to see what this team looks like with a completely healthy roster and a 920% Price.....then we can talk.They are holding their own for now and have slipped recently but we still haven't seen the full roster and there are some key pieces missing.

I don't know any team who would consider a divisional record like ours as holding their own.
The early season run and gun frantic pace has already caught up with us and teams are likely to start leaning on us more as the season progresses. I don't think it's coincidental we've blown three games the same way and we don't have an answer for it because our PP is so bad. People should remember our PP was running at a brilliant 12% even with Weber Clode's first year back. Finally how much detail to defense will it take even with a healthy lineup to get CP to .920? Will it lead to that 1.8 GF average we saw two years ago?

Jul 6, 2016
Bergevin made all the same mistakes Gainey and Gauthier made and some extra.
We're still small.
We traded away a valuable D prospect for something not too great in return
And now we have no 1D at all.

That is YOUR point of view...

The only thing I can agree with you is the size of this team.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Hey man, you can be a cheerleader all you want. But the more support that’s given to the outdated, ridiculous practices this team has been running, the longer you’ll wait to see real success. I want to see another Stanley Cup in my life, especially as an adult. But if things don’t change, I’ll be dead well before that happens again.

So the whole point of my post was that gaslighting and calling one side cheerleaders just because they try and remain positive, or are positive, is no better than people who don't understand why some fans criticize the team. It's actually even less pleasant, but that's my opinion. In any case, that type of schism is exactly how the left/right divide plays out in our current society, especially that of our special friend to our southern border.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

This is exactly the problem I have and was thinking it last night as well. Well said. Trying to sell existing and new fans on the “past” instead of the future. We’ve been celebrating the ‘93 cup win like it happened yesterday for 25 years. People care about our history, but it’s just that, history. Time to make some new memories, not living off the past, or for the Molson family, profiting off the past.

Jul 6, 2016
So the whole point of my post was that gaslighting and calling one side cheerleaders just because they try and remain positive, or are positive, is no better than people who don't understand why some fans criticize the team. It's actually even less pleasant, but that's my opinion. In any case, that type of schism is exactly how the left/right divide plays out in our current society, especially that of our special friend to our southern border.

The division is fuled up by what we are using to exchange ideas and opinions: social medias, a bunch of no-names with avatars. If we would have to show our real face, put our real name and from whre we are posting, there would be less people willing to speak through their rear ends.... and confront other people.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
That is YOUR point of view...

The only thing I can agree with you is the size of this team.
Giving up on D prospects before the age 22 usually blows in the face of the team giving up the Dman.
Gainey at least targeted an established center. Bergevin went after a winger with a very flakey history. Getting decent wingers is not hard to do. Getting a high-skill Dman is hard to do.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Giving up on D prospects before the age 22 usually blows in the face of the team giving up the Dman.
Gainey at least targeted an established center. Bergevin went after a winger with a very flakey history. Getting decent wingers is not hard to do. Getting a high-skill Dman is not.

Vegas gave a blue-chip prospect + Tatar + a 2nd rounder to get a winger....

Everyone makes "mistakes". So far, Sergachev has not proven yet he will become a top-two d-man. He is great on PP. That's about it. We had a guy named Souray before who was awesome on PP.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You can enjoy that they're playing the game in a more entertaining way, I certainly appreciate it.. while simultaneously acknowledging that the team is still a couple seasons from bottoming out, making shrewd moves, and adding some keys pieces through draft or free agency before they're an actual team that can do anything relevant in the context of winning.

The problem is, and I'm guilty of it too, is the team comes out of the gate hot and the "believer" side starts shoving it in people's faces, so when they go cold.. the "hater" side shoves it back.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
This will go on all year until the team finally craps out in 9th or 10th place in our conference.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Vegas gave a blue-chip prospect + Tatar + a 2nd rounder to get a winger....

Everyone makes "mistakes". So far, Sergachev has not proven yet he will become a top-two d-man. He is great on PP. That's about it. We had a guy named Souray before who was awesome on PP.
Pacioretty has an elite track record worthy of the price. 7 years of high-level production. Drouin is mostly hype and selective sampling of the dangles.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The division is fuled up by what we are using to exchange ideas and opinions: social medias, a bunch of no-names with avatars. If we would have to show our real face, put our real name and from whre we are posting, there would be less people willing to speak through their rear ends.... and confront other people.

Absolutely. I understand both sides of the debate. The team isn't currently good enough to contend absolutely but I personally hate watching them play like horsecrap. It's worse when both of those things are combined but this season has been dramatically more fun to watch then the last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad