Confirmed with Link: Erne and Vrana file for Arbitration

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't think it is. The Wings have had like two arbitration cases that weren't settled and the verdict read prior to an agreement. If anything, it'll speed up the negotiations with Vrana. Why is everyone here scared of their own shadow when it comes to salary negotiation tactics? This is a damn sight better than Darren Ferris "We're gonna sign with the uncapped KHL if you don't up that value!"

yeah I wouldn't be shocked to see Vrana gone at some point in the next couple years but it won't really have anything to do with this if it happens

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I’m definitely not afraid but we’re not close to contender status and players could just as easily want to move on

Then they move on. World keeps turning. Yzerman has shown he's not gonna just let dudes wander out of town without extracting some value, so if they want to leave, it's almost like good riddance.

Vrana is still under team control. He makes it evident he wants out of Detroit in the arb hearing or whatever? They'll find a deal for him. There are many many things to worry about with building an NHL team. An RFA going to an arbitration hearing kinda isn't one of them.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
in b4 the erne n vrana trade proposal threads are started in trade rumor forum :nod:

Adam Erne was viewed as less than spare parts not six months ago. I know recency bias is a bitch, but my god people.

There is not a soul on the planet with any interest in trading specifically for him. He'll be an asset in a trade like Patrick Eaves was in the David Legwand deal. A Riley Sheahan for Scott Wilson deal.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
Adam Erne was viewed as less than spare parts not six months ago. I know recency bias is a bitch, but my god people.

There is not a soul on the planet with any interest in trading specifically for him. He'll be an asset in a trade like Patrick Eaves was in the David Legwand deal. A Riley Sheahan for Scott Wilson deal.
what the hell are you babbling about . yzerman traded a draft pick for him , steve goddamn yzerman thought he was worth something , then guess what ? he just had a decent season on a terrible team . the guy is worth something in a trade

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Filing for arbitration is often a "file before the deadline on the off chance you'll need it" rather than an indication of how arbitration is going. Also they can't accept an offer sheet now by filing for arbitration.

Reactions: lomekian

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yawn.

Either they get signed before the hearings or Yzerman out-lawyers the other side yet again, and they get very cost effective trial runs.

I like Vrana. But I'm losing zero sleep over whatever happens with his salary in the next few weeks, or what it might just maybe sort of imply down the road.

fQM6PksusS3WXY0A710j4WcyCB4dq5w6kNb3Jru9xTLMF51vYg-IodgzIvRRh9f2nGUBwiZsO8yxmdTBCoQhdD1kxWAMvZLfV_lvgpt18oC84kNyQArJ5jbvZLklWA8rcwJ4uNeXN7GMW49yjQURBhnzy0786HjcMdU

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Give Erne 1.5- 2.
Andrew Copp got $2.28M in his previous arbitration when he only scored 25 pts. Erne scored at a 36 pt pace, I'm pretty sure he gets more than $2M in arbitration.

6 out of his 20 pts came on the PP, and I don't see him getting much PP time so I think his production goes down. Sign him to 2 x $2.25M and dump him when his contract is over. By then the team should be good enough to attract free agent talent.

Reactions: Bruhin

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
This could set the rebuild back a year or two. Hope they get signed before the hearing. Otherwise Vrana is likely gone. So we likely lose Bert and Vrana in 2 years. That would be epic blundering.

Welcome to the boards bud. And yes I was thinking the exact same. Probably closer to 4-5 years. I’m glad to have a new ultra negative poster to have to read on here.

Reactions: Revenge of Gru

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Estimates from evolving-hockey:

Erne
1-2 year values 1.2M-1.6M. (team would select 2-year, to include one UFA year)

Vrana
1-2 year values 4.5-4.7M (team would select 1-year to keep him as RFA)

4-5 year deal values 5.5-5.9M (I think this kind of deal will happen before arbitradion)

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012

Erne

Vrana

4-5 year deal values 5.5-5.9M (I think this kind of deal will happen before arbitradion)

For Erne, I don't believe the team can option a second year when the player only has 1 year of RFA left.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If Erne can be a 15 goal 3rd line guy then I'd like to keep him around Detroit for the foreseeable future.
For a guy like Erne this isn't usually a kiss of death situation. It could be the difference between Yzerman saying 2 years, 2.0 million and Erne saying 2 years 2.5 million (Nick Ritchie money) That's a gap that is easy to close. I don't think this will impact whether or not we bring back Erne.

The Vrana situation gives me a little more pause. If Bertuzzi's hit is 5.25 AAV then just by virtue of production Vrana deserves more. And maybe this is exactly the situation Washington was trying to avoid when they traded for Mantha?

Bertuzzi's cap hit is 4.75 not 5.25, it isn't a huge difference but it matters. I am fine with signing Vrana between 5 and 6 million a year for multiple years.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Welcome to the boards bud. And yes I was thinking the exact same. Probably closer to 4-5 years. I’m glad to have a new ultra negative poster to have to read on here.
Perhaps I am feeling a bit battered after witnessing the last 2 years and then seeing the choices Yzerman has made for this offseason.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think we can sign Erne to a reasonable deal. With Vrana I hope we can keep it south of $6 million although that could be tough to accomplish. At least it will be a short deal, so it will not end up being a contract that could throw off our cap once we are back in compete mode. I don't have a great feel for whether Vrana should be part of our core, he definitely has skill. Ultimately I just want a good deal with no NMC or trade clause so we keep our options open.

Reactions: lilidk

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Erne

Vrana

Ev.Ho. lines up with my earlier guess for Vrana

3y * $4.75-$4.9.

I'm somewhat reluctant to give >3yrs and/or >$5m to a small-ish, non-physical W that isn't known for 2-way play/Dzone coverage. I know he's not here for that, ergo, 3y * $4.75-$4.9 is fair for both sides, imo.

Small sample size (with DET too).

Getting decent to good value throughout the roster is what SY was able to do in TB, that's how multiple Cups are won & windows are elongated to 5-7+yrs. vs. the standard 2-3yr type (WSH/STL), or the ever popular 1 & done (MTL '21). That's why BOS is still an outside threat (losing Krejci+Rask etc. hurts), but they've had a 10yr run & had plenty of turnover, while much of core remained. COL could be another to join the long window club, but as Red Wings fans, we hope not. Though a 2024 Avs vs. Wings SCF sounds delightful too.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Perhaps I am feeling a bit battered after witnessing the last 2 years and then seeing the choices Yzerman has made for this offseason.

If you're battered by this offseason... I mean... what? What has he done that is anathema to you? They can't fix everything all at once. They have to take steps towards being an okay hockey team again. They've done that while avoiding any crushing long term commitments, because the guys worth those commitments either aren't coming here (Hamilton, any center of upper end worth on the market) or have signed contracts this offseason that are immediately among the worst in the NHL (see Blake Coleman and Zach Hyman).

Like I don't exactly understand what people are looking for.

This might be hot take time but Nick Leddy is going to do more to help the Detroit Red Wings in 21-22 than Aatu Raty is going to do to help any roster that he lands on in his career.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
For Erne I mean no personal offense but speaking strictly from a contract standpoint this might be a good place for Yzerman to set an example and just not extend a qualified offer and let him go to UFA. A 4th liner wants to take us to arbitration? Nice knowing you. I don't really see him here long-term nor being much of an impact player if he does.

Vrana it's not welcoming news. He has been here what half a season and takes it to arbitration. I can't imagine the wings deal being much if at all outside his market worth and it makes me feel like this is simply a sign that he already wants out. Kinda feeling like he just set himself up to be traded.

Maybe I am reading too much into it and this is not at all what it means. But this is what crossed my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad