Erik Karlsson's Scoring Pace

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Every player in every sport cares about personal awards. Humans, especially competitive athletes, always want to be the best and seen as "superior" to the competition. Of course, rarely any player says in public that they want the personal award over the team one, but in reality they could probably care less. This is a job after all and they likely get more fame, money, etc with individual awards.

Yes, I remember how thrilled Giguere was when he won the Conn-Smythe. He really looked like a guy who was more invested in winning the personal award over the team one...

GiguereAnaConn.jpg

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Winning the cup doesn't make someone the best, winning the hart/lindsay does.

06: Thornton/Jagr
07: Crosby
08-10: Ovechkin
11: Sedin? Crosby?
12: Malkin
13: OV/Crosby
14: Crosby
15: Price/OV
16: Kane
17: McDavid/Crosby

No one really argued that these players weren't the best in these years, but only 1/12 won the cup.

That's not the point though. Reputations are made in the playoffs. Anyone so focused on being the best would put the same stock in winning being the ultimate goal. I don't doubt the best players want to win awards and be recognized for their greatness, but they also want to win. Winning is also associated with the best of all time. The more successful their teams, the more highly regarded they'll be in an all time sense.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Crosby puts posters of previous Stanley Cup winners to his gym to feel more motivated. It's been rumoured that it was a pretty big deal to him that Toews would go down as the biggest winner of this generation instead of him and therefore have an argument of being the best instead of Crosby.

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
I couldn't believe it when he fell to the second round of my fantasy draft due to his injury. Snatched him up without a second thought.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Leaf fans can be alittle much on this site sometimes but look at this guy’s history. Obviously a troll
The fact that it's not really that obvious says something.

I don't know what it is, why can't you just be happy with what you have, why does your guy always have to be better than some other guy? There is always some weird stat to back it up too.

One fan base is obsessed with doing that...

Reactions: Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
when he scores his pace is like ... skateskateskateskateskate
when he doesnt score it's more like skate .. skate ... skateskate

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
weren't burns and doughty ahead in the coaches and players polls?

I won't comment on the coaches part, but players are hardly the best judge of a player's ability (to say nothing of a defenseman's ability which is even tougher).

For one thing, I can't imagine that the average NHLer watches many hockey games. For another, when you're playing a hockey game, the last thing you are doing is critically evaluating the ability of everyone on the ice with you. Even if you were (you're not) you don't have a bird's eye view of the arena so you couldn't even do so if you wanted to.

Reactions: Eisen

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nothing surprises me with EK offensively anymore. The dude could be on one leg completely anchored to a post in his own net with 5 players between him and his target and he's still playing f***ing mini golf through them for an assist.

I'd expect his goals and primary assists to catch up when he gets his cyborg ankle.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I won't comment on the coaches part, but players are hardly the best judge of a player's ability (to say nothing of a defenseman's ability which is even tougher).

For one thing, I can't imagine that the average NHLer watches many hockey games. For another, when you're playing a hockey game, the last thing you are doing is critically evaluating the ability of everyone on the ice with you. Even if you were (you're not) you don't have a bird's eye view of the arena so you couldn't even do so if you wanted to.

Players and coaches watch players much much much more closely then fans do. Ever hear of this thing called watching game tape to game plan versus teams? Yeah players and coaches do that every single day of the week.

Reactions: CDN24 and authentic

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yes, I remember how thrilled Giguere was when he won the Conn-Smythe. He really looked like a guy who was more invested in winning the personal award over the team one...

GiguereAnaConn.jpg

That was an uncomfortable moment. He deserved it, but it never means much.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

You can't be serious. Like, somehow you're implying that your opinion matters and is more significant than the players? That is delusional.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You can't be serious. Like, somehow you're implying that your opinion matters and is more significant than the players? That is delusional.

Yep, the fans who on average don't watch much further than their own team know more than the players and coaches who do advance scouting and video review for specific player tendencies especially those they gameplan for.

Reactions: Legionnaire

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

May be the most ignorant post of all time.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
EK is a two time Norris winner and two time Norris robbed of it. it was ridiculous. Almost mire than Quick got Veznia Trophy

Reactions: branch

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Canadien coaches choosing their good'ol Canadien boys? No waaaay!

If NHL was based in Sweden Erik Karlsson would've won the Norris in each of those seasons people claim he got snubbed, deservedly or not. It's incredible that some people just ignore biases.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Such a polarizing player to watch, amazing offensively then when he's on defense you find yourself scratching your head a lot. Regardless. The best offensive defenseman, not close.

Reactions: CDN24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad