Erik Karlsson's atrocious defending vs Hawks (3 examples)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Oh look, another exaggerated HF thread.

*clicks thread*

Oh....uh.....that was beer league defense by Karlsson. Pretty poor example to set for the rest of the team too. Lazy, selfish TRASH defending. Attitudes/players like this are awful for a team.

I mean the guy just doesn't give a damn clearly. Downright embarrassing play. No one with a brain expects him to even be good defensively, but jesus christ man, at least give a little effort.

Reactions: AzHawk

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Surrounded by elite talent with the best goalie in the world. Shocker!
Elite talent? 2014 team was mediocre. Our top3 centers were all injured, hedman wasnt even picked and Lundqvist has never been the best goalie in the world.

If you watched the game, Karlsson scored the game winning goal in the semis. He carried that team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Elite talent? 2014 team was mediocre. Our top3 centers were all injured, hedman wasnt even picked and Lundqvist has never been the best goalie in the world.

If you watched the game, Karlsson scored the game winning goal in the semis. He carried that team.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Slimmy

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Oh look, another exaggerated HF thread.

*clicks thread*

Oh....uh.....that was beer league defense by Karlsson. Pretty poor example to set for the rest of the team too. Lazy, selfish TRASH defending. Attitudes/players like this are awful for a team.

I mean the guy just doesn't give a damn clearly. Downright embarrassing play. No one with a brain expects him to even be good defensively, but jesus christ man, at least give a little effort.
Karlsson just had a baby that was born 8 weeks too early. After his first one died.

Give him a break, his mind was clearly not in this game and has played better ever since.

Reactions: Slimmy and PM

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Reading hfboards, a lot people dont even think he is a hall of famer. I disagree, but Lundqvist hasnt been popular outside ranger fans.
WHO thinks Lundqvist isn't a Hall of Famer? A couple smucks? That doesn't make it an "opinion" worth discussing.

Just like you and your 101 excuses for Karlsson giving 0 effort are not worth discussing.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The question becomes, if he is bad defensively, and his injury history causes him to lose a step in speed, how much does he need to score a year to be worth his contract?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Seems like half the times I watch Sharks highlights he's directly responsible for a Goal Against. Slight hyperbole, but it's like his defense is now as bad as Leafs and Habs fans wanted you to believe it was in his time in Ottawa lol.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'll never understand why people go out of their way to say that these examples in general are anomalous for his whole damn career. At what point is it not an anomaly? Dude sucks at defense and hes known for his offense. Call a spade a spade.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'll never understand why people go out of their way to say that these examples in general are anomalous for his whole damn career. At what point is it not an anomaly? Dude sucks at defense and hes known for his offense. Call a spade a spade.

He cared in Ottawa, and certainly wasn't that bad defensively. IDK what happened, but that doesn't look like the 'old' EK I remember. A lack of effort was never an issue for him before.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
WHO thinks Lundqvist isn't a Hall of Famer? A couple smucks? That doesn't make it an "opinion" worth discussing.

Just like you and your 101 excuses for Karlsson giving 0 effort are not worth discussing.
Excuses? Karlsson was great at 2014 olympics. Thats a fact.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
The thing that bothered me was that two of those goals were just mental mistakes. It wasn't due to compromised skating or mobility, but just him misreading or not committing properly on the play.
he was also kind of soft of the first 2 goals. Maybe he was exhausted

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Well he got fairly close despite playing his best years on a trash team.

I hear this all the time, and yet guys like Stone and Zibanejad are the best players on their new teams, and others like Silverberg, Bishop, Lehner, Foligno, Hoffman, Dzingle, Duchene ect are still/were all very good players outside of the Sens.

The Sens were not an elite contending team, but they were also not nearly as pitiful as people like to pretend they were either. If they had been patient (it all started back with the Ryan trade), and the UFAs all stuck around, they might have even won a cup with that core.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I hear this all the time, and yet guys like Stone and Zibanejad are the best players on their new teams, and others like Silverberg, Bishop, Lehner, Foligno, Hoffman, Dzingle, Duchene ect are still/were all very good players outside of the Sens.

The Sens were not an elite contending team, but they were also not nearly as pitiful as people like to pretend they were either. If they had been patient (it all started back with the Ryan trade), and the UFAs all stuck around, they might have even won a cup with that core.

That Sens team was pretty good. They were so frustrating to play against and were so defensively responsible under Guy Boucher. The attention to defence as a team helped mask a lot of EK’s deficiencies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Zibanejad, who is clearly not the best player on the New York Rangers today, was already playing for the New York Rangers when the Senators made it to game 7 OT of the ECF. And Zibanejad with Ottawa was not close to the level he is at today.

Stone is legitimately one of the best players in the world and probably better than Karlsson at this point, but he also wasn’t quite at that level in 2016-2017, and he also was playing injured through the playoffs.

Lehner, Silfverberg, Foligno, Bishop, and Duchene were also not playing for Ottawa in 2016-2017.

None of this is really an argument against the point that other poster was making. Which was that it’s hardly Karlsson’s fault that he hasn’t won a championship yet, and he’s taken his teams about as far as anybody could reasonably ask of him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
That Sens team was pretty good. They were so frustrating to play against and were so defensively responsible under Guy Boucher. The attention to defence as a team helped mask a lot of EK’s deficiencies.

Lol man the bias on this site is hilarious.

Doughty playing behind two elite selke centers and excelling under the suffocating defensive system of Sutter is proof of Doughty being amazing.

But Karlsson playing behind Turris and Brassard and excelling under the defensive system of Boucher is the system covering up his deficiencies. LMAO

truly incredible the mental hoops people will jump through on this site.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lol man the bias on this site is hilarious.

Doughty playing behind two elite selke centers and excelling under the suffocating defensive system of Sutter is proof of Doughty being amazing.

But Karlsson playing behind Turris and Brassard and excelling under the defensive system of Boucher is the system covering up his deficiencies. LMAO

truly incredible the mental hoops people will jump through on this site.

No, proof of Doughty being amazing is that he did it before and after Sutter, on good teams and bad, and on Team Canada internationally, as well, with no alibis/excuses, in every season but one (edit: I guess two if you count his rookie year). And don't forget that Doughty is the shutdown pairing, rather than being insulated by one, no matter what trash our GM sifts through to find his partner.

Would love to know who the second elite Selke center is? Truly incredible the mental hoops people will invent on this site, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueMed

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
No, proof of Doughty being amazing is that he did it before and after Sutter, on good teams and bad, and on Team Canada internationally, as well, with no alibis/excuses, in every season but one (edit: I guess two if you count his rookie year). And don't forget that Doughty is the shutdown pairing, rather than being insulated by one, no matter what trash our GM sifts through to find his partner.

Would love to know who the second elite Selke center is? Truly incredible the mental hoops people will invent on this site, right?

Lol where did I say Doughty is only good in Sutter's system? He's an elite player whose gonna elite play. Same as Karlsson who didn't even win his Norris trophies with Boucher.

I'm just poking fun at the HF narrative that playing in a good defensive system (arguably the best under Sutter) doesn't help Doughty while Karlsson is only held up because of a good defensive system.

Jeff Carter who at his prime was one of the best two way centers in the league. Certainly elite compared to Kyle Turris.

And yea man Karlsson was the insulated one playing close to 30 mins a night on shoddily coached lottery caliber teams. How'd that work out for Doughty last season?

Reactions: Slimmy

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Certain posters with thousands of posts pumping Due Doughty's tires and trashing EK whenever possible are best not to engage with.

Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad