Erik Karlsson's atrocious defending vs Hawks (3 examples)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
whatever happened to EK65 anyway? He was never known for his elite defensive game but he was great at moving the puck, in transition and used to put up plenty of points. He isn't scoring like he used to what happened?

My hockey pool is already suffering because of Malkin's injury now EK is also not scoring I had hoped EK would rebound but......

It's a shame what has happened to Karlsson's game

He had a sample size where he played at something like a 90 point pace after the first 15 or so games last year prior to getting hurt.

I watched a lot of the early Karl in San Jose games for just his shifts. The system is different in San Jose. It took him time getting used to it. There's less freedom for him to jump in the play or go down low in the offensive zone.

I haven't watched any San Jose so far this season. So I don't know if he's actually been terrible. I would speculate that a lot of neutral fans did not watch Karlsson during his peak in San Jose last season so the "omg he's done" narrative stuck. That narrative started because he wasn't producing on paper, and when people went to check him out because of that, he had a few really sloppy games early on. Then when the playoffs came around and most people were watching, he was playing with a hurt groin - which made a bad impression.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Someone said that he was gonna tear it up and a new thread was going to be posted and all... well...maybe should wait just a bit.

These are all awful. One should have been a wake up call and prevented the other two, but I guess learning from your mistakes is not included for $11.5m

Reactions: klozge

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Another atrocious game defensively.

Still trying to give him the benefit of the doubt as it does not at all appear to be a physical issue, but a mental one. For those who have not been following it, he's had a bit of a tough time recently with his daughter being born prematurely and just coming home over the past few days.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Still trying to give him the benefit of the doubt as it does not at all appear to be a physical issue, but a mental one. For those who have not been following it, he's had a bit of a tough time recently with his daughter being born prematurely and just coming home over the past few days.

Its tough when that happens.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Karlsson's body (and mind) is gone. Injuries has taken one of his biggest assets away and he just doesn't play like he cares anymore.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Karlsson is still my 2nd favourite Senator of all time. But he is what he is at this point; 2pts and a minus 2 is great way to sum it up pretty well, and what you can expect during a typical regular season game.

I do believe that hes still capable of some big things in the playoffs if/when he gets the chance to go deep again, and that he can dial down the mistakes when hes firing on all cylinders, and be a dominant player at both ends.

But hes always been a bit streaky in the regular season, and he gets just as cold (defensively) as he does red hot. But Im not surprised to see that moving into a lesser role has not done his defensive focus or consistency any favours (as opposed to being the heavy lifter in Ottawa that was expected to carry the team most nights).

I still feel like its just an awkward and forced fit with the Sharks tbh. Maybe they end up making it work at the end of the day, but I still cant help but wonder if both parties might regret it at some point over the life of the contract.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I still feel like its just an awkward and forced fit with the Sharks tbh. Maybe they end up making it work at the end of the day, but I still cant help but wonder if both parties might regret it at some point over the life of the contract.

Some part of it is definitely this. In Ottawa, at least during that 2017 run, the team completely flowed through Karlsson. In San Jose, he's not even on the top PP unit! He strikes me as the player who likes being top dog, and in San Jose, he's perhaps first among equals.

On the other hand, I think that's likely to be a case on any contender.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Man, I've been way down on the dude but he looked better tonight than he did to start the year. His offense and transition game looked better, wouldn't be surprised to see the D ramp up approaching 20 games or so. I labeled him cooked already, then listened to TSN convince me why he's still really good. Those goals tonight- last one was all him, he coulda played the other two a bit better- but Jones should have that first one and that Skinner goal was just a crazy scramble- he coulda played perfect D and shut down the first pass, block out McCabe, but some small mistakes weren't helped by teammates and bounces. Shit happens, he's out there a lot, I've changed my mind and think he'll start doing those little things and lookin real good come midseason.

Reactions: Slimmy

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Haven't he proven enough over the years? A healthy EK65 is a beast. Wife and daughter just got home after a rough pregnancy and birth after spending a few weeks at the hospital. His mind has probably been somewhere else. Watch him turn it up if his body can handle it, that's my only worry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimmy and Brownies

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think there's a chance that his injuries may have taken such a toll on him that Karlsson has to really change how he plays in some areas because his physical gifts are now way more limited than earlier in his career.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Anyone would look bad trying to defend with Dillon or Vlasic as their partner. Yikes.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
LOL

Karlsson has never played D. When he is in the West, people start to realize it?

You have no clue what you are talking about.

In the past he was excellent defensively, while healthy.

Though, even back then, he went through streaks where he floated and simply didn't gave the impression that he actually cared (until playoffs).

Now, he's done though.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
You have no clue what you are talking about.

In the past he was excellent defensively, while healthy.

Though, even back then, he went through streaks where he floated and simply didn't gave the impression that he actually cared (until playoffs).

Now, he's done though.

I have been watching him for years. His defense has always been subpar, never even close to excellent defensively

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I have been watching him for years. His defense has always been subpar, never even close to excellent defensively
Most people knew this, but alot of the fans of whatever team he played for, just couldn't see, blinded by his offence. He can be the most productive offensive defenceman in the game, but his game on his side of centre some nights, has been just awful.

This contract he has signed, could very well be the worst in the league within 2-3 seasons, he looks so un-motivated. I don't buy the whole injury thing, because his good play seems conditional when he feels it. He can be amazing on offense, and people go wild with the credit, but next game they blame injuries for his terrible performance, and his -4

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Most people knew this, but alot of the fans of whatever team he played for, just couldn't see, blinded by his offence. He can be the most productive offensive defenceman in the game, but his game on his side of centre some nights, has been just awful.

This contract he has signed, could very well be the worst in the league within 2-3 seasons, he looks so un-motivated. I don't buy the whole injury thing, because his good play seems conditional when he feels it. He can be amazing on offense, and people go wild with the credit, but next game they blame injuries for his terrible performance, and his -4
Ive never seen a player continually showered with excuses for his play Its quite fascinating

Reactions: BLONG7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->