Erik Karlsson vs Luke Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It's sad that every thread on HF has to turn into "my team's player is better than your team's player". Every team in the league would love to have Schenn or Karlsson. Both teams are lucky to have their respective player and they are still both very young. Imagine how good they could be in a few years.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Karlsson has my vote without a doubt.

Schenn's offensive ability is pretty limited IMHO but his defensive game could be top notch. I very well could see him in his prime developing into a Regehr/Philips defenseman who is very reliable and could win you cups. However, Karlsson's offensive game makes him a massive weapon and once he fills out and develops, his defensive game could be worthy enough to make him more valuable.

Schenn should and probably will be better defensively then Karlsson, but Karlsson's pure potential has me more inclined.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
It's sad that every thread on HF has to turn into "my team's player is better than your team's player". Every team in the league would love to have Schenn or Karlsson. Both teams are lucky to have their respective player and they are still both very young. Imagine how good they could be in a few years.

There wouldn't be a problem if they would just admit Schenn is better than Karlsson.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Come back when Schenn is your #1 defenseman during the playoffs playing 25 minutes a night and averaging PPG against the defending champs.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
heres my way to measure each defenseman based on attributes skating karlsson wins
shot schenn's shot's been developing, hes got a good one but karlsson wins
offensive awareness karlsson
defensive awareness schenn
shot blocking schenn
PP karlsson
PK schenn
checking schenn
breakout karlsson
leadership schenn
intangibles schenn
potential schenn

This is where we disagree. I believe that it would be easier suited for Karlsson to learn the defensive side of the game and become solid, then it would be for schenn to learn the offensive side and become solid. Thats just my personal take and i know ill get bashed in t-minus 20 minutes.

Traktor*

Not a fan of either team but I take Karlsson by a country mile.

Schenn has Matt Greene upside, Karlsson has Mike Green potential.

I'm absolutely amazed watching Karlsson play hockey. I think he feels he's the best player on the ice no matter who he is playing against. Just unreal confidence in that kid. His hockey sense truly is A+. Still makes poor decisions some times but it's because he's overly confident. Future 65+ point D.

Not much to say about Schenn. Decent stay-at-home D that doesn't have the same meanness that Foote had. Should develop into a solid #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Not a fan of either team but I take Karlsson by a country mile.

Schenn has Matt Greene upside, Karlsson has Mike Green potential.

I'm absolutely amazed watching Karlsson play hockey. I think he feels he's the best player on the ice no matter who he is playing against. Just unreal confidence in that kid. His hockey sense truly is A+. Still makes poor decisions some times but it's because he's overly confident. Future 65+ point D.

Not much to say about Schenn. Decent stay-at-home D that doesn't have the same meanness that Foote had. Should develop into a solid #3

You're easily impressed.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor

potential wise, schenn's potential is through the roof, and anyone who says the defense is easier to master, it really isnt, it takes defensemen years to learn the postitioning. an offensive game is all about confidence in your shot and your puck moving ability. during the latter half of the season, schenn was making tape to tape passes game in and game out, and improved his goal total from 2 to 5 playing less then 3 minutes on average then his rookie yr. schenn will be a top 3 defensive defensemen in the league on his prime, and potential 40 pt guy. meanwhile karlsson will be prolly a top 10 offensive producing defensemen, but nowhere near up top defensively. ppl need to remember that just cus karlsson did well in a shortened rookie yr and playoffs, whats not to say if the leafs make the playoffs that schenn plays dynamite. its to early to call,but schenn will be the better player.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'd take Karlsson.

His offensive skillset is very unique. Very good skater, with very good hands, strong shot and very good playmaking instincts and poise with the puck. His game reminds me alot of how the way Sergei Zubov played. If he can improve his defensive game this guy will be something else. His calmness with the puck is what impress's me the most. Perfectly suited to the style of play the NHL is gearing towards with speed, skill and puck movement. For the person who said Schenn has more upside, I do not agree with that.

I hope the best for Schenn and hope that he pans out but his skating is a major issue with me. He is one of the weaker skating defencemen in the league right now. He lacks the ability to turn quickly and explode into his first few strides. Many times last season he got caughty flat footed and was exposed because of it. He does alot better going forward with his feet then when forced to skate backwards or make a sharp turn towards the boards. Will never be a offensive dynamo but should put up around 25-30 points a season while playing solid defence. Everytime I watch him I see Willie Mitchell with slighty more offensive ability. I'm also just not a fan of these "shutdown" types and personally think the speed of the game and the limiting of hooking, holding, obstructing etc have really limited players of this ilk's impact.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
potential wise, schenn's potential is through the roof, and anyone who says the defense is easier to master, it really isnt, it takes defensemen years to learn the postitioning. an offensive game is all about confidence in your shot and your puck moving ability. during the latter half of the season, schenn was making tape to tape passes game in and game out, and improved his goal total from 2 to 5 playing less then 3 minutes on average then his rookie yr. schenn will be a top 3 defensive defensemen in the league on his prime, and potential 40 pt guy. meanwhile karlsson will be prolly a top 10 offensive producing defensemen, but nowhere near up top defensively. ppl need to remember that just cus karlsson did well in a shortened rookie yr and playoffs, whats not to say if the leafs make the playoffs that schenn plays dynamite. its to early to call,but schenn will be the better player.

I dont see how Schenn's potential is "thru the roof".

Maybe defensively but even still if he doesnt drastically improve his skating and agility he's never going to be this beast defensively that everyone just automatically assume's he will become. Just because you throw bone crushing hits once every two games doesnt mean you are some defensive guru. I have been less then impressed with Schenn's supposed elite defensive accumen. He has good potential but even the current GM has said he will most likely be a #2 defenceman. Sorry but when I think of a player with potential thru the roof, I think of players who have the chance to be a bonifide frontline #1 rearguard. Again if he doesnt improve his skating bigtime alot of Leaf fans are going to be dissapointed in the future.

Hockfan*

Luke Schenn by a fair margin, just so solid and a nasty hitter.
Karlsson a lightweight puck mover.
i will take the big body bone cruncher every day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad