In your head
Schenn by about 1.5 kiloParsecs

Just look at this internet video clip

Look at it

PROTIP: 1 kiloParsec = 3.08568025 × 10^19 meters

Last edited:

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
This thread is absolutely Pejorative Slured, shutdown defenseman vs offensive defenseman

Give your head a shake.

kyle747

May 10, 2005
It's a strange comparison, I don't think any team in the league would take Schenn over Karlsson.

While Karlsson is not nearly as effective as Schenn in close around the net, he's easily better in most other areas.

Schenn is a pylon compared to Karlsson, a more interesting comparison may turn out to be Cowen vs Schenn.

The Fuhr*

defensive defensemen are a lot mor easier to find then offensive defensemen
Why we let Volchenkov walk for Gonchar

General Borschevsky

Jan 10, 2009
Atlantic Canada
A million sens fans in this thread, and only Fuhr has something legitimate to add.

As far as Karlsson goes, he's a talented young player. Burke actually tried to trade up to draft him when he was in Anaheim. But how about we go a little easy on anointing him after his rookie season, okay? We all saw how that worked out with Meszaros.

I wouldn't trade Schenn for him, I'll put it that way.

Reactions: Leaves34

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
It's a strange comparison, I don't think any team in the league would take Schenn over Karlsson.

While Karlsson is not nearly as effective as Schenn in close around the net, he's easily better in most other areas.

Schenn is a pylon compared to Karlsson, a more interesting comparison may turn out to be Cowen vs Schenn.

Well at least 11 teams thought so at the draft. And really since then what has changed? Schenn was going to be the NHL ready stay at home rock. Karlsson was going to be the slick-skating offensive defenseman

Kyle Doobas*

Bit of a pointless comparison....all depends on a team's needs. A club with an already fairly mobile defense corps would obviously benefit moreso from adding Schenn than they would Karlsson, and vice-versa.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Saying Karlsson is going to be a "franchise player" is a bit of a stretch.

But, I still think he wins this debate, I know I would rather have him on my team than Schenn.

I'm sure this thread will get locked pretty soon though.

kyle747

May 10, 2005
Well at least 11 teams thought so at the draft. And really since then what has changed? Schenn was going to be the NHL ready stay at home rock. Karlsson was going to be the slick-skating offensive defenseman

What's changed ? Karlsson played his rookie season - and astonished the NHL.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
What's changed ? Karlsson played his rookie season - and astonished the NHL.

I dont know about astonished. Hes still pretty weak defensively, and was owned by the Peguins in the playoffs.

Lets wait for his first whole season before we judge him against more experienced players

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Well, as expected it's turned into Leafs vs. Sens.

Fans are so stupid for not respecting the other player, and automatically writing off the enemies.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Karlsson played over 3 minutes a game on the PP, finished the year with 5 goals and 26 points.

Schenn did not play on the PP at all and got 3 minutes less of ice time per game (including 2 minutes on the PK) but managed 5 goals and 17 points.

The Sens clearly couldn't rely on Karlsson like they did last year so they signed Gonchar. He made too many mental errors, was nonexistent in his own zone, his passing wasn't as good as it needed to be, and he got out muscled too often. All of which are strengths in Schenn's game.

Schenn doesn't have Karlsson's exceptional skating or shot. But he's better in every other category, hockey sense, positioning, physical play, breaking up plays, etc..

A closer poll for Karlsson would be vs Gunnarsson.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Karlsson is really overrated.... I watched him a few games.. he is really terrible defensively.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Karlsson played over 3 minutes a game on the PP, finished the year with 5 goals and 26 points.

Schenn did not play on the PP at all and got 3 minutes less of ice time per game (including 2 minutes on the PK) but managed 5 goals and 17 points.

Karlsson didn't break out until the 2nd half.
Including the playoffs, he finished with a 29-5-19-24 line in his last 29 games and was playing dominant hockey down the stretch.

The Sens clearly couldn't rely on Karlsson like they did last year so they signed Gonchar. He made too many mental errors, was nonexistent in his own zone, his passing wasn't as good as it needed to be, and he got out muscled too often. All of which are strengths in Schenn's game.

Clearly? Or perhaps Murray was sick of us lacking any point-shots whatsoever and watching opponents collapse down low on our forwards essentially double teaming them to leave our D-men open. We essentially only had Karlsson dominating for 1/4 of the season last year. Adding him and Gonchar on separate pairings will open up a lot of room for our forwards this season.

Karlsson is really overrated.... I watched him a few games.. he is really terrible defensively.

You should watch more games then. He was really using his speed and body positioning effectively to break up plays the last half of the season and Clouston should have no problems throwing him out there in the Top-4 at ES this season.

I watched Schenn this season. Is he Pejorative Slured or was he drunk?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This again? Haven't we reached a consensus that this is a ridiculous comparison?

All I'm going to say is that Karlsson is one of the players I enjoy watching the most in the NHL today and Schenn is a really good defensive player.

Here's my Youtube contribution

SensFan2010

May 26, 2010

Schenn doesn't have Karlsson's exceptional skating or shot. But he's better in every other category, hockey sense, positioning, physical play, breaking up plays, etc..

Schenn has better hockey sense than Karlsson? That's news to me.

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal

This isn't even close to being true.

-For 2/3rd of the season Karlsson saw next to no PP time. Chalk it up to being inexperienced as a rookie. Late in the year, he was the go-to guy on the PP and produced very well in that role.

-The acquisition of Gonchar was to bring in a shift in the style of play for the team. We used to be a very defensive, immobile club. Last season we had Carkner, Sutton, and Volchenkov who were terrible with moving the puck and passing. Karlsson got stuck with Sutton who was a huge liability because of his immobility. 95% of the breakouts on that pairing were handled entirely by Karlsson. We're also likely to add Cowen to the lineup very soon, so swapping Volchenkov for Gonchar is going to give us more balance at the end of the day.

-Karlsson had just about as good a rookie year as you could reasonably expect from someone his age, and that includes his playoff performance. He was slow to start and struggled, but by the end of the year he was consistently one of our best defensemen. I think the fact that Clouston played him in huge gamebreaking situations proves that (7.7 seconds to go by a goal down, 3-on-3 in OT, as well as HUGE minutes in triple OT in the playoffs).

-It should also be noted that without the puck he's pretty serviceable defensively. He's a little bit undersized, but still growing by many people's account, but that doesn't mean that he plays a small game. He can out muscle reasonably sized players, and he's also very good with his pokecheck and can strip Star players of the puck consistently. The only area where he gets in trouble is making a risky play to generate offense, but he's getting better at cutting down on the plays that go bad.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa

:help::help:

Most of the posts I can understand where people are coming from but this one is complete bullsh!t, seems like uve never watched him play..He isnt anything you said.

You do know he was one of our best d-man in the playoffs right? he played 25 min per game..the most of all our defense..

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
I dont know about astonished. Hes still pretty weak defensively, and was owned by the Peguins in the playoffs.

Lets wait for his first whole season before we judge him against more experienced players

I wouldn't say owned, 6 points in 6 games is pretty solid regardless of how he fared defensively, also led our team in ice time at 25 min. per night.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I'll take Schenn over the Anton Stralman clone. Ottawa has just been starved for a PMD for so long that this one gets hyped to all hell. Franchise defenseman? lol c'mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad