Erik Karlsson vs. David Rundblad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
People saying Karlsson doesn't need size are a tad bit optimistic there. He gets manhandled along the boards and really needs to be protected with a big strong defensmen in order to survive.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Karlsson was awful for the first month and a bit of his rookie season.

He showed flashes today but still needs time to adapt.

Pietraneglo222

People saying Karlsson doesn't need size are a tad bit optimistic there. He gets manhandled along the boards and really needs to be protected with a big strong defensmen in order to survive.

Karlsson's always paired with Kuba who's softer than Lindsay Lohan's ****.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

:facepalm:

He was practically untouched all season. Being the size that he is it makes easy to dodge checks and with his speed and lateral agility he's hard to get a good piece of. Plus he's incredibly smart and knows where he is in relation to opposing forwards. Point being - he doesn't need size because he never gets hit.

Which explains why he was overwhelmed by most of New Jersey's forwards the game I seen in Ottawa.

You base such a conclusion off of a couple games in an 82 game season?

You may be a tad uninformed on the subject my friend.

Afro Thunder*

:amazed:

WTF did you even watch the game.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

He was practically untouched all season. Being the size that he is it makes easy to dodge checks and with his speed and lateral agility he's hard to get a good piece of. Plus he's incredibly smart and knows where he is in relation to opposing forwards. Point being - he doesn't need size because he never gets hit.

The size issue is more defensively. Positionally, he'll be great - but he'll never be able to clear the crease or dominate the boards.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Leaf fan here. Just watched the Ott vs Leaf preseason game. Karlsson looks like the real deal. When it comes to the Karlsson vs Subban vs Schenn debate, I'd take the slick swede.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Karlsson's the real deal. I think he has a legit chance of breaking 50 points and becoming an above average guy in his o,wn zone. He played great out there today, had some great chances and knows his game well and doesn't try to go beyond that.

and Yeah this Karlsson vs. Subban vs. Schenn thing pops up a lot even though the comparison of Karlsson to Schenn is wrong. I'd take Karlsson over the other two even though Schenn is my favorite player.

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal

I'd disagree with this strongly. I think people have the expectation that he should work towards a more North American style game which plays a physical game over puck control. If that's the case, they completely lose out on the fact that he's incredible with his poke check, he's improved his body positioning immensely from when he broke into the league, and he's drastically cut down on silly mistakes. At the end of the day, it adds up to him being a pretty damned effective player in any situation.

He's going to prove people wrong who think this way. He's not going to be a beastly physical player, but I don't think that changes the fact that he's going to be incredible in his own way.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

You base such a conclusion off of a couple games in an 82 game season?

You may be a tad uninformed on the subject my friend.
OK, Karlsson can't be cycled against. Good for you and Ottawa.

:amazed:

WTF did you even watch the game.
No, I payed 80 dollars to get loaded and pass out during the first intermission. If Ottawa fans think Karlsson isn't weak against the cycle then they are less informed then I once thought.

The size issue is more defensively. Positionally, he'll be great - but he'll never be able to clear the crease or dominate the boards.
That was what I was talking about the whole time. It isn't hard to cycle against him. Ottawa is one of the few teams where Tedenby has room to move in the corners.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
In terms of the question at hand, I probably take Karlsson until I see Rundblad play in the NHL. I have a feeling he will need to be protected away from 1st and 2nd line oppositions.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
EK is a hell of a lot better than Rundblad right now. I'm not even sure it's debateble at this point. That's not to say Rundblad can't overtake EK in the future, it just isn't the case right now.

Anchor Town*

Rundblad didn't look too good in the game versus toronto. looked weak physically and in his own end and made a few glaring errors

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Every defenseman on the ice was outplayed by Cowen.

Haha this.

Cowen has a way of elevating his play. Previous to this best I had ever seen him play, skill wise and performance wise was the AHL playoffs last season. His skating tonight was about as good as I've ever seen it...looked like a different player.

People are kidding themselves if they expect Rundblad to just walk in comfortable. He's on much smaller ice in an early going pre-season game with very little chemistry and with a team that was outmatched by more power on the oppositions side.

Regardless of what happened tonight it's Karlsson clearly.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It took Karlsson a while to get comfortable too, Rundblad will be fine.

That said, Karlsson showed some elite level skill tonight. Damn.

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
I'd take Karlsson right now, only because I haven't seen enough of Rundblad. Rundblad could easily surpass Karlsson --- hopefully both will stay with the Sens and work hard to continually try to beat out the other for the best on the team.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It took Karlsson a while to get comfortable too, Rundblad will be fine.

That said, Karlsson showed some elite level skill tonight. Damn.

Agreed on both counts. Even Rundblad seemed to be getting over the jitters as the game wore on.

Karlsson was easily the most skilled defenseman on the ice, heck you could make an argument for most skilled player.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Agreed on both counts. Even Rundblad seemed to be getting over the jitters as the game wore on.

Karlsson was easily the most skilled defenseman on the ice, heck you could make an argument for most skilled player.

I can't think of anyone on the ice that would be more skilled....he's probably got the most raw skill among Dmen in the NHL. I really don't think it's wrong to say that...

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Here's what a Boston fan comes over to say.

Karlsson is SICK.

That guy was all-world out there today. I think you guys can safely laugh off any comparisons that aren't Doughty, Keith etc. Subban is three notches below Karlsson, and I'm not even a Sens fan.

I post this because I said earlier tonight that it's like tonight, of all nights, people that aren't Sens fans started realizing how good he could be. He didn't do anything tonight we haven't seen before.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Right now. Would you disagree?

Yes I would.

His defensive skills leave something to desire.

And playing defence is a skill.

He's not the catastrophe that others are making him out to be, but he's not rock-solid in his own end either, yet. I'd say he's about average defensively.

His quickness and takeaways are above average, but his ability to pin opponents and not cough up the puck under pressure are slightly below average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad