Erik Karlsson vs. David Rundblad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietraneglo222

Last year Karlsson was pretty much the only reason to watch the Senators. Spezza got hot at the end and that's nice but he wasn't really flashy. Just solid playmaking and a good shot.

All I'm saying is that it'd be nice to have other players be worth watching this year. whether that be Rundblad, Filatov, Cowen or Zibanejad... it's all good. Dump and don't chase was so stupidly pointless last year... sigh.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Yes I would.

His defensive skills leave something to desire.

And playing defence is a skill.

He's not the catastrophe that others are making him out to be, but he's not rock-solid in his own end either, yet. I'd say he's about average defensively.

His quickness and takeaways are above average, but his ability to pin opponents and not cough up the puck under pressure are slightly below average.

He's not refined in those skills and he doesnt have the strength yet, but he is still highly skilled defensively.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not talking about defensive skill. I'm talking about the physical skills in his hands and feet.

Physical skills include upper body strength, which he doesn't have, and grappling with players in corners.

You're only seeing the skills you want to see.

You have to be clear when you throw around terms like "most skilled defenceman in the NHL".

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Physical skills include upper body strength, which he doesn't have, and grappling with players in corners.

You're only seeing the skills you want to see.

You have to be clear when you throw around terms like "most skilled defenceman in the NHL".

I'm talking about raw offensive skills. I've never considered upper body strength to be a skill. I'm seeing skill level that I consider to be skill level lol.

Jared cowen is highly skilled in upper body strength, sorry that just sounds funny to me.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm talking about raw offensive skills. I've never considered upper body strength to be a skill. I'm seeing skill level that I consider to be skill level lol.

Jared cowen is highly skilled in upper body strength, sorry that just sounds funny to me.

It's not just about having it, it's about using it.

Pinching off the player, being tough in front of the net, using your feet to move the puck as you use your arms to hold the opponent off, those are all skills.

If you don't think there's any "skill" associated with playing defence then I can't help you.

A guy like Tyler Myers may be more "skilled" than Karlsson in that his total array of skills is greater and more balanced between offensive and defensive skills.

Jackie Treehorn

Sep 5, 2008
Runblad made some mistakes last night, but he also showed some real puck skills. He absolutely reminds me of the Gazelle, when he was a rookie. Half a year in the AHL and he'll be good to go. I also think at times he gets flustered because he needs to be out there with players that can play with his creativity. He thinks the game really with a lot of imagination and he needs creative players around him.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
having muscle isnt a skill looool

If you are talking about being able to throw your body around well Karlsson isnt afraid to do that he just wasnt able to last year cause he would most likely bounce off

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I love arguing with people who have obviously never played hockey.

Fine, Karlsson is the most skilled defenceman in the NHL today.

I'm sure the Norris is in the mail.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Runblad made some mistakes last night, but he also showed some real puck skills. He absolutely reminds me of the Gazelle, when he was a rookie. Half a year in the AHL and he'll be good to go. I also think at times he gets flustered because he needs to be out there with players that can play with his creativity. He thinks the game really with a lot of imagination and he needs creative players around him.

ya Rundblad had his share of hiccups last night, but still showed some flashes of brilliance with the puck. He's actually impressed me more then Karlsson did at his first camp in 2009. He'll be running the 2nd PP unit by February.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Karlsson's offensive skill level has to be in the top 10 in the NHL. And it's still really raw, you could see him shaking some rust off last night, where when he's in mid-season form, he'd have fired some of those pucks on net instead of hesitating and dishing.

He's a joy to watch - which is a very good thing, because the Sens likely won't be.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Clearly never played hockey before because when I speak of skill level I'm talking about puck skills and skating primarily.

I agree with this. When talking about "skill" or "talent" it generally means skating skills and puck skills...

Skill does not mean size.
Skill does not mean experience.
Skill does not mean defensive awareness.

Skill means good skater
Skill means good shooter
skill means good puckhandler
skill means good passer

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
It's not just about having it, it's about using it.

Pinching off the player, being tough in front of the net, using your feet to move the puck as you use your arms to hold the opponent off, those are all skills.

If you don't think there's any "skill" associated with playing defence then I can't help you.

A guy like Tyler Myers may be more "skilled" than Karlsson in that his total array of skills is greater and more balanced between offensive and defensive skills.

Sorry but no, thats not right. Tyler Myers is a better defenceman than EK right now, but your confusing the terms "better" and "more skilled". Being more skilled doesnt mean you have a better chance at winning any award, it just means your more adept in the offensive arts.

Someone else already made the perfect example of Alex kovalev, who was easily among the most skilled players in the league, but had so many other holes in his game that even his ridiculous skill level could never put him over the top.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
. Being more skilled doesnt mean you have a better chance at winning any award, it just means your more adept in the offensive arts.

I agree that Karlsson is adept at the offensive arts but my definition of skill goes beyond simply offensive talents that are brought to the table.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Alright while I was talking about skill in the terms that most ppl are when they speak of a hockey players skill level. I can be more clear next time.

By your definition, the most skilled player likely equals the best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad