Erik Karlsson vs. David Rundblad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Which of these Swedish Senators defensemen is going to have the better career?

Rundblad is arguably one of the best defense prospects not playing in the NHL yet, but will he be better than Karlsson? Do they play a similar style of game?

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Karlsson is more proven on north american ice, but i´d still gamble and take Rundblad if i had to pick one of them. He was almost a ppg player in SEL and finished fourth among all skaters in points, thats just sick.

Reactions: MendelMu

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Personally, I'd take Karlsson without thinking twice. Very smart player who has everything but size (and to an extent defensive ability). To do what he has done in the NHL at his size and age is special. He's like the defenseman version of Marty St. Louis ;)

Rundblad is a player who will be interesting to follow. He could be a homerun pick, but I doubt he will be better than EK at this point.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Which of these Swedish Senators defensemen is going to have the better career?

Rundblad is arguably one of the best defense prospects not playing in the NHL yet, but will he be better than Karlsson? Do they play a similar style of game?

Yeah they are similar, I think they Senator fans will find they similar both in style of game and in talent.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Personally, I'd take Rundblad, based on how he's done in the SEL. He was the best defenseman in Sweden last year, and 4th overall in points.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Yeah Rundblad has his size to his advantage over Karlsson. Karlsson is a smart player though, he dont need size do his job.

Rundblad did have a great season last year, if he can build on that he will be at least just as good as Karlsson. But sure Rundblad is yet to prove himself in NA.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Karlsson . Karlsson is good offensively and defensively while Rundblad have some issues in defending. Rundblad could end better player easily but i would take Karlsson i just love his game. They're nearly same age it's Karlsson easily. Karlsson was 2nd best point producer for Sens last season as a defenceman.

Batali Crocs*

Until Rundblad plays a game in the NHL, it's Karlsson.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Personally, I'd take Rundblad, based on how he's done in the SEL. He was the best defenseman in Sweden last year, and 4th overall in points.

Not sure if serious.

Afro Thunder*

Karlsson has the ability to take over a game by himself and will only get better.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I'm sure if Karlsson would have spent an extra year in Sweden he would have broken that record that Rundblad broke.

That's no knock on Rundblad, but for anyone who used that as a reason to choose Rundblad, or anyone who plans to, read this post...will help.

4thliner*

When Rundblad is an all-star at 19 like Karlsson was, I will reconsider. Since that is impossible and Rundblad took an extra year to play in the SEL at 19 year old, well he will just have to make NEXT year's all-star team or win ROY for me to reconsider.

Otherwise Karlsson at 20 is the proven commodity who already a 2 year NHL veteran that logs close to 25 mins a night.

Rundblad has along ways to go and actually PROVE himself in the NHL. Karlsson was also a standout in his only playoff series. That was in fact his coming out party along with the 2nd half of the 2009-2010 season.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sure if Karlsson would have spent an extra year in Sweden he would have broken that record that Rundblad broke.

That's no knock on Rundblad, but for anyone who used that as a reason to choose Rundblad, or anyone who plans to, read this post...will help.

I'd also assume if Karlsson got like 26-30 minutes a night at the age Rundblad was, he'd have had massive point totals too.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
unfair question for Rundblad right now. Ask me again next year

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
There was a nice comparison written a while back that contrasted their offensive presence. I think it was an Ottawa scout. Does anybody recall that?

I seem to recall one player being more explosive (Karlsson), one being cerebral(Rundblad)

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
If I were to say Rundblad, I would have to be confident he'll be a better NHL player than Karlsson. I am not convinced of that yet, so I'll choose Karlsson.

There was a nice comparison written a while back that contrasted their offensive presence. I think it was an Ottawa scout. Does anybody recall that?

I seem to recall one player being more explosive (Karlsson), one being cerebral(Rundblad)

I hope this is what you're talking about

Pierre Dorion said:
"Erik is more dynamic, using his quickness and his explosion to skate the puck up," said Dorion. "David is more cerebral. A lot of things are done with his brain and hockey sense. David is more smooth and poised (with his) puck control, while Erik is just more fiery, more of a go-getter."

Source

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Karlsson is more proven on north american ice, but i´d still gamble and take Rundblad if i had to pick one of them. He was almost a ppg player in SEL and finished fourth among all skaters in points, thats just sick.

I firmly believe karlsson could have led that league in scoring last year. He finds open ice like it's nothing in the NHL.

I'd go with karlsson easy. Too much elite in his skill set, still su much upside.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Tough choice but what Rundblad did in a men's league last year is too tough to ignore.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I firmly believe karlsson could have led that league in scoring last year. He finds open ice like it's nothing in the NHL.

I'd go with karlsson easy. Too much elite in his skill set, still su much upside.

Agreed, there's still quite much room for Karlsson to be better player. Sky is the limit IMO. Not a sens fan and i'm from finland so no bias. Karlsson is one of the best young players in the league. Very underrated outside of Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad