Erik Karlsson (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Keep him if you can, even at $11M per for 8 years

Our forward core is not scoring at the rate they did last year without multiple premier puck movers on the back end, we need him to be competitive

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
That's because most rooks are young. Simek isn't and he was developed correctly. Spent enough time playing his way up to the big club that he is what he is at this point. Also I still believe Ryan (if not traded) will be a good player for this team.

Simek is only 9 months older than Ryan and spent significantly less time in the AHL.
I still have hope for Ryan too. Thought he played adequately in the playoffs, and would be good in the regular season if Deboer stops trying to make him something he isn't. My hesitation for Simek isn't a sophomore slump, moreso getting back into game shape after his surgery. Some miscues should be expected and hopefully he'll have a longer leash with Deboer.

Personally, while undersized, with the right system (*cough* Deboer), I'm completely fine with going with

Vlasic - Karlsson
Simek - Burns
Ryan - Heed

And using any extra cap on forward support.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
i am not ready to put simek into top 4 plans just yet. we have seen this way to many times with rookies coming in and looking great. then next season they don't look any where close to as good as they did in the rookie season.

Simek blew away everyone's expectations and then some. He has proved how important he is to the team with solid play. He belongs in the top 4 and I'd argue he'd look good beside a healthy EK.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
That is exactly my thought. Closest airport for immigration and customs on his way back to Ottawa. Though him heading back today does not give me any positive vibes.

I guess the Sharks gave them their offer and he needs to think about it or he still intends to listen to the other teams offers first, before making a decision. He might need to discuss the offer and his plans with his friends/family in Ottawa or maybe even Sweden depending on where his destination was.

The JT Express

Dec 6, 2007
California
Nothing wrong with visiting home for the weekend after watching his home basketball team go 0-3 in the finals. He's traveling with a backpack not a suitcase...

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
He also could've agreed to terms and/or celebrated the agreement of terms with Doug before his flight and is now letting his agent figure it all out while he goes relaxes back home for a while.

Or that was a farewell and thanks for all the fish dinner with Doug.

I'm optimistic though.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He also could've agreed to terms and/or celebrated the agreement of terms with Doug before his flight and is now letting his agent figure it all out while he goes relaxes back home for a while.

Or that was a farewell and thanks for all the fish dinner with Doug.

I'm optimistic though.
I hope you are right. Like someone else pointed out yesterday, maybe he is trying to figure out moving pieces out or have certain other guys re-signed before he announces the re-signing.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I hope you are right. Like someone else pointed out yesterday, maybe he is trying to figure out moving pieces out or have certain other guys re-signed before he announces the re-signing.

It could be so many things that it's really hard to guess.

I doubt a player is negotiating his own contract, on his own, without his agent present. That just wouldn't happen. So, the Doug dinner was either them celebrating, Doug trying one last pitch to convince him, a goodbye sorry it didn't work out dinner (which seems weird and I doubt it would happen -- Doug's got other things to do then dine with people leaving the team), or Doug and EK working out some minor things while the main contract is being written up.

To me, just, thinking of how my career works... it's either celebrating because everything has been agreed on verbally (and they're waiting for lawyers and agents to get the paperwork in order before they announce) or, after multiple rejections by EK's agent, Doug taking EK out for dinner to see what it would take (this also may not be a thing, because any good agent wouldn't allow his client to go be wined and dined by themselves in case they get tricked into agreeing to something stupid).

So... after all of that thinking-outloud, I... think it maybe was a celebratory dinner, the paperwork is being finalized, and Karlsson -- having tied up all the loose ends here -- is going back home to chill with the family.

If I'm right, I'll take an EK65 black jersey in small or medium please, thank you.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I doubt a player is negotiating his own contract, on his own, without his agent present. That just wouldn't happen. So, the Doug dinner was either them celebrating, Doug trying one last pitch to convince him, a goodbye sorry it didn't work out dinner (which seems weird and I doubt it would happen -- Doug's got other things to do then dine with people leaving the team), or Doug and EK working out some minor things while the main contract is being written up.

To me, just, thinking of how my career works... it's either celebrating because everything has been agreed on verbally (and they're waiting for lawyers and agents to get the paperwork in order before they announce) or, after multiple rejections by EK's agent, Doug taking EK out for dinner to see what it would take (this also may not be a thing, because any good agent wouldn't allow his client to go be wined and dined by themselves in case they get tricked into agreeing to something stupid).

So... after all of that thinking-outloud, I... think it maybe was a celebratory dinner, the paperwork is being finalized, and Karlsson -- having tied up all the loose ends here -- is going back home to chill with the family.

If I'm right, I'll take an EK65 black jersey in small or medium please, thank you.

I like the way you think and if you are right, I will take one in medium too .. :)

Reactions: Jargon

wishman

Jan 20, 2007

I agree about the part regarding not negotiating without the agent. But my take is that this was just a recruiting/convincing meeting without discussing numbers. Karlsson spotted with DW, Couture, and Thornton all on separate occasions in the last week or so (Winnik too if you want to call him a Sharks alumni). So I think its just a full court press using all available local means to convince him that San Jose is the place to be.

To me, he hasn't made up his mind yet and if he hasn't made up his mind yet, that doesn't bode very well on the chances of re-signing.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I’m thinking’s he’s made up his mind. It’s passed the time in which they wanted to know either way. I’m sure we will all find out very soon

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I agree about the part regarding not negotiating without the agent. But my take is that this was just a recruiting/convincing meeting without discussing numbers. Karlsson spotted with DW, Couture, and Thornton all on separate occasions in the last week or so (Winnik too if you want to call him a Sharks alumni). So I think its just a full court press using all available local means to convince him that San Jose is the place to be.

To me, he hasn't made up his mind yet and if he hasn't made up his mind yet, that doesn't bode very well on the chances of re-signing.

The players thing is actually confusing to me. I don't think he needs to spend time with Couture and Thornton. Nor do I think they can affect the re-signing any more than what they could during the regular season. Him doing that seems like a positive to me.

The thing about that bolded part is that we don't know if has made up his mind or not. The SC just wrapped up this week and there may be smaller things to sort out before things become official. I am expecting to see a lot more league re-signings next week. If EK65 is not signed in by the draft my outlook about the re-signing will go from cautiously optimistic to recklessly pessimistic.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I’m thinking’s he’s made up his mind. It’s passed the time in which they wanted to know either way. I’m sure we will all find out very soon

@Pinkfloyd mentioned that most agents have back-channels to get information about the level of interest from other teams. I think so too, but I just don't know the level of information the agents can get before June 23rd. If the level of information can specify term and/or ballpark AAV, it may be enough for him to make a decision.

But if the level of information is specific to, "Montreal and NYR are interested", he may just want to wait till June 23rd to find out more.

Reactions: Tw1ster

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
BRB making popcorn for when he posts on Instagram about having a gr8 time hanging out with stevie and heddy and hashtags bffs

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
BRB making popcorn for when he posts on Instagram about having a gr8 time hanging out with stevie and heddy and hashtags bffs

LOL. He went to Vancouver just to punk DW and make him think he was going to Ottawa.

I mean, I am not saying that is what happened. But if it did, I would laugh pretty hard.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Simek is only 9 months older than Ryan and spent significantly less time in the AHL.
I still have hope for Ryan too. Thought he played adequately in the playoffs, and would be good in the regular season if Deboer stops trying to make him something he isn't. My hesitation for Simek isn't a sophomore slump, moreso getting back into game shape after his surgery. Some miscues should be expected and hopefully he'll have a longer leash with Deboer.

Personally, while undersized, with the right system (*cough* Deboer), I'm completely fine with going with

Vlasic - Karlsson
Simek - Burns
Ryan - Heed

And using any extra cap on forward support.

I just don’t think they’re a NHL d pairing. They’re both way too soft on the puck to generate the same magic they had with the Cuda.

I’d rather try Simek with Heed but I also want Simek with Burns and Simek with EK65. He’s a very very good complimentary Dman to offensive ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad