Erik Karlsson (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I posted this is the Roster Discussion thread, but his article says the information is from a league source. Whatever that means. It is not just speculation on his part.
I was thinking about this earlier...what if the "source" was Karlssons agent and he talked to Kurz to help get the Sharks offer out there before the UFA window opens?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I was thinking about this earlier...what if the "source" was Karlssons agent and he talked to Kurz to help get the Sharks offer out there before the UFA window opens?

I'm 100% sure that agents talk to GMs all the time before the negotiation period. I'm sure it's not exact terms, but absolutely they're saying, "we can give him Doughty money and full term..."

As someone who works in the entertainment industry and knows plenty of reps, I just can't imagine it working any other way in sports.

Reactions: PattyLafontaine

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
As a beat writer who is given tons of extra access to the team, I highly doubt that Kurz would just take that story from an agent and run with it without checking in with the organization and other sources. Would be very irresponsible and likely not be worth losing the extra access he is given and hit to his reputation behind closed doors. Plus, he wants to be right so it does not really do him any good to spread pure conjecture type rumors.

Kurz has pretty terrible opinions about hockey and is generally a pretentious jerk, but I will at least give him the benefit of the doubt to do the reporting stuff the right way and not just spread false rumors.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
kurz is probably at home right now sitting at his computer reading this thread and eating popcorn and just loving every second of it.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Every fan base is going to say that. If the Blues were missing O'Reilly, Pavelski, and Pietrangelo against us they would have fared no better and they know that.

I've seen the claims of Karlsson being soft here and there on this forum as well as the main boards - enough so that I feel it's worth addressing.
Did you mean Parayko by Pavelski? If both teams were healthy there is little doubt in my mind (although you can never be sure) the Sharks would have won. Don't even need the Blues to miss their best players. Not sure the Sharks would have beaten Boston, but I guess that is the beauty of the sport: you just never know and there is always next year.

Reactions: Phu

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Did you mean Parayko by Pavelski? If both teams were healthy there is little doubt in my mind (although you can never be sure) the Sharks would have won. Don't even need the Blues to miss their best players. Not sure the Sharks would have beaten Boston, but I guess that is the beauty of the sport: you just never know and there is always next year.

I actually missed Tarasenko, the top line RW who is the parallel to Pavelski in that comparison which is why I mixed them up lol.

Reactions: Phu

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver

The dumbest thing this franchise ever did was let Karlsson play during the all-star game and that boston game. I said it then and you can quote me on it, should have never let him near a game till near the end of the season would have had a solid 31/2 - 4 months to recover.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The dumbest thing this franchise ever did was let Karlsson play during the all-star game and that boston game. I said it then and you can quote me on it, should have never let him near a game till near the end of the season would have had a solid 31/2 - 4 months to recover.
If he needed surgery he should have just had surgery. If the recovery time was manageable it would have made more sense.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If he needed surgery he should have just had surgery. If the recovery time was manageable it would have made more sense.

He had surgery on May 31st and they expect him to make a full recovery in 3.5 months for training camp but it's tough to say if he actually needs all 3.5 months.

The injury occurred in the middle of January, so the 3.5 month recovery time would mean that he couldn't play again until May. But if he could shorten the recovery time to roughly months, he could make it for game 1 of the playoffs.

It's definitely something we can wonder about. But given the way the situation ultimately worked out, I feel like even if he got surgery on January 16th - the date of the Coyotes game where he first showed that he was clearly not right - he would have come back for game 1 of the playoffs and still not been at 100%.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
He had surgery on May 31st and they expect him to make a full recovery in 3.5 months for training camp but it's tough to say if he actually needs all 3.5 months.

The injury occurred in the middle of January, so the 3.5 month recovery time would mean that he couldn't play again until May. But if he could shorten the recovery time to roughly months, he could make it for game 1 of the playoffs.

It's definitely something we can wonder about. But given the way the situation ultimately worked out, I feel like even if he got surgery on January 16th - the date of the Coyotes game where he first showed that he was clearly not right - he would have come back for game 1 of the playoffs and still not been at 100%.

He probably didn’t need surgery originally. He kept pushing and playing on it and it got worse. If he’d just shut it down after the Columbus game I bet he would have been fine for the entire playoffs.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

At 40ish I played at about 3 months post op after what is likely a similar surgery but not at an ultra competitive level. I wasn't 100% for another 3 months. I would hope he gives himself at least 4 months if not a little longer. Less chance of re-injury (hopefully). For the record I don't think he needed surgery until the boston game. That's the first time he looked really bad.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't frequent the main boards but someone here (don't remember whom) said that the Blues posters were saying that they beat us fair and square and they were the better team.

Sure, when you take out our #1C, #1D (arguably) and captain to the point where they don't/cant play in an elimination game, you better win.

Also, I am not sure why you think people here believe EK65 is soft. I have not come across any post which claims so.
*raises hand*

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think guessing as to when and what Karlsson should've done with his injury is a moot point. We don't know nearly enough details to suggest medical procedures. He could've tweaked it and then really hurt it later. The doctors could've suggested no surgery at first, but then changed their minds. He may have fallen out of bed the night before the Blues game and landed, groin first, into his box of hipster shaving gear and torn it much worse.

Point is, we don't know anything, so it's silly to be angry/suggest what the appropriate treatment should've been,

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Who else is ready for the main boards once he makes a decision?

It's going to be exactly like the Burns rresigning.

If he leaves, it'll be "omg EK65 is the best defenseman of his generation" and if he resigns it'll be "wow. Dumb signing. Over priced for an injury probe defender who can't defend."

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Who else is ready for the main boards once he makes a decision?

It's going to be exactly like the Burns rresigning.

If he leaves, it'll be "omg EK65 is the best defenseman of his generation" and if he resigns it'll be "wow. Dumb signing. Over priced for an injury probe defender who can't defend."

People are going to trash him no matter where he signs. There's just going to be one fan base who says it's a good signing and that's the fans of whatever team signs him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Reactions: Nifty Willy

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
People are going to trash him no matter where he signs. There's just going to be one fan base who says it's a good signing and that's the fans of whatever team signs him.
My defense will be this. Adding EK65 back to this team does not guarantee us a Cup (think it makes us a continued favorite though), but a Sharks roster without him is virtually guaranteed to not win a Cup (barring the unthinkable where Duchene signs with us or we find another Thornton-esque trade out of nowhere) for awhile. I am willing to deal with the potential salary cap issues that come in years 7 and 8 of this deal when EK65 is maybe overpaid, but in years 1-5 I am confident he will yield us at least 1 Cup because he is that good and Burns is that good as well (along with the rest of the core all being locked in financially).

If we can make this coming season work financially and find a way to add EK65 and 1-2 top 9 forwards, we should be set for at least the next two seasons as everyone will be locked up long-term with the exception of Meier and Labanc most likely. Simek/Dillon/Braun will be up following this season, but I would expect Braun is gone this offseason and only one of Simek/Dillon is re-signed with Ferraro stepping into the 3rd pair LD role in 2020-21. With even a small cap increase each year, we should not be in a dire of a situation moving forward with a really solid core and a few elite pieces locked up moving forward.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
My defense will be this. Adding EK65 back to this team does not guarantee us a Cup (think it makes us a continued favorite though), but a Sharks roster without him is virtually guaranteed to not win a Cup (barring the unthinkable where Duchene signs with us or we find another Thornton-esque trade out of nowhere) for awhile. I am willing to deal with the potential salary cap issues that come in years 7 and 8 of this deal when EK65 is maybe overpaid, but in years 1-5 I am confident he will yield us at least 1 Cup because he is that good and Burns is that good as well (along with the rest of the core all being locked in financially).

If we can make this coming season work financially and find a way to add EK65 and 1-2 top 9 forwards, we should be set for at least the next two seasons as everyone will be locked up long-term with the exception of Meier and Labanc most likely. Simek/Dillon/Braun will be up following this season, but I would expect Braun is gone this offseason and only one of Simek/Dillon is re-signed with Ferraro stepping into the 3rd pair LD role in 2020-21. With even a small cap increase each year, we should not be in a dire of a situation moving forward with a really solid core and a few elite pieces locked up moving forward.

That's how I feel. EK65 is maybe a risk, and maybe paid a lot, but he keeps us very much in the running. A healthy EK -- used to this team -- and Burns in the playoffs is game changing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I think so too. While I won't say that it is imperative that we re-sign EK65, doing so sets up for now and for the next few years.

EK65-Vlasic
Simek-Burns

This would basically make the main focus of the off-season to get a top-6 winger to complete our top-6.

Meier-Hertl-?
Kane-Couture-Labanc

If we miss out on EK65, Duchene helps us to fill that top-6 void but the core issue for us is that we have no guaranteed top-4 D in the pipeline going forward. Ferraro can make it there and Merkley right now is a question mark. It would be better to spend money on getting Gardiner. Though I think that will take a massive overpayment.

I am hoping that one area that DW focuses on is somehow making our bottom-6 better. Get rid of Melker for cap purposes.

Sorensen-Jumbo-?
Goodrow-?-?

Those 3 need to come from within because of cap issues. I am guessing Gambrell is one of those players but I am still not sure who the other 2 are going to be. Lots of prospective Cuda players that can step in there but I would love to have a 4th line which has some scoring capability.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
i am not ready to put simek into top 4 plans just yet. we have seen this way to many times with rookies coming in and looking great. then next season they don't look any where close to as good as they did in the rookie season.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
i am not ready to put simek into top 4 plans just yet. we have seen this way to many times with rookies coming in and looking great. then next season they don't look any where close to as good as they did in the rookie season.
That's because most rooks are young. Simek isn't and he was developed correctly. Spent enough time playing his way up to the big club that he is what he is at this point. Also I still believe Ryan (if not traded) will be a good player for this team.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
That's because most rooks are young. Simek isn't and he was developed correctly. Spent enough time playing his way up to the big club that he is what he is at this point. Also I still believe Ryan (if not traded) will be a good player for this team.

Simek is Ryan with strength and poise. Ryan does a lot of things well but he’s so soft on the puck. He’s an ok regular season guy but he’s a #7 in the playoffs.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Simek is Ryan with strength and poise. Ryan does a lot of things well but he’s so soft on the puck. He’s an ok regular season guy but he’s a #7 in the playoffs.

Unless he can go back to the level he played in our SC run year. That being said, I still don't know WTF happened to Dillon in the playoffs. He was garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad