Erik Karlsson (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Lol I’m loving the switch in optimism but man it really shows how we only care about what he’s doing today rather than what he’s doing tomorrow.

Let’s be real. He’s getting used to a new team and a new system. He’s obviously feeling a lot of pressure and he’s not getting as many pp mins with our top units as he should. And apparently he lost his son recently (idk if it’s true I heard it on here)?

give him top pp mins with Burns and do whatever it takes to help him get his confidence back because once he has it we’re going to be elite.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Pretty good game from EK tonight. I don't think it's much in DeBoer's way of playing for a D to rush the puck up, but surely by now he realizes how Erik tilts the ice when he does so. Even if it only results in offensive zone time and nothing more, that's a good thing.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Pretty good game from EK tonight. I don't think it's much in DeBoer's way of playing for a D to rush the puck up, but surely by now he realizes how Erik tilts the ice when he does so. Even if it only results in offensive zone time and nothing more, that's a good thing.

This was probably Karlsson’s best defensively responsible 60 minute effort. Seeing him high fiving Jumbo on the bench was awesome.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yeah, Karlsson could do a lot better if given the sheltered offensive zone starts he received in Ottawa. Burns receives very similar minutes and it's not possible to play two guys that same way.
Yeah, you can blame DeBoer for misusing Karlsson...but a true Norris caliber defender would find ways to shine in every situation. Also, handing Karlsson more quality minutes would hurt Burns.
You know there are actual stats for what you're claiming, right? Karlsson had sheltered ice time as a rookie. After that, it's pretty hard to get sheltered minutes as someone playing half the game on a budget team - and the stats prove it. Fun fact: Karlsson played tougher minutes and had less offensive % starts than Doughty, in Doughty's Norris season. That season when Karlsson had that assist record, while "Due" Doughty won it on his defensive play. I guess I don't have to say I claim Karlsson was robbed of the Norris that year.

I think another factor that is hurting Karlsson's quality on the ice is his lessened ice time. He plays at his best when he grinds through 25 minute games, now he plays below 20 min. But he'll turn it around, you can see he's starting to understand how SJ plays better now and vice versa. I think it's weird though it took this long for him and Pavelski to click with a redirection goal.

Reactions: CrypTic

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think there is a pretty compelling reason to have Karlsson have d zone starts because he so freaking good at breaking out.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You know there are actual stats for what you're claiming, right? Karlsson had sheltered ice time as a rookie. After that, it's pretty hard to get sheltered minutes as someone playing half the game on a budget team - and the stats prove it. Fun fact: Karlsson played tougher minutes and had less offensive % starts than Doughty, in Doughty's Norris season. That season when Karlsson had that assist record, while "Due" Doughty won it on his defensive play. I guess I don't have to say I claim Karlsson was robbed of the Norris that year.

I think another factor that is hurting Karlsson's quality on the ice is his lessened ice time. He plays at his best when he grinds through 25 minute games, now he plays below 20 min. But he'll turn it around, you can see he's starting to understand how SJ plays better now and vice versa. I think it's weird though it took this long for him and Pavelski to click with a redirection goal.

To even compare Karlsson with Doughty is crazy. LA has pretty much only shutdown defenders so they don't need to bury Doughty. They need hin to provide offense though. Karlsson is miles away of Doughty in terms of positioning and defensive game. Doughty would never defend this poorly on a good team like SJ and he'd never be on the ice for so many goals against.

The only hope for the Sharks is Karlsson's history of playing poorly until christmas as mentioned here by two posters. I wasn't aware of that. I looked it up and it's true. His stats until christmas aren't anywhere near Norris caliber but his numbers tend to look very good from then on.

I still don't think that there's room for both Burns and Karlsson to play effectively on one team but at least there's hope that it could get better.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

He has played under 25 minutes in 5 games. Mostly he is in the high 20's and his average is 25:15.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Very good game by EK against NSH. It was the first mistake free game I've seen since watching the last four. As always, his passing and transition was excellent. He wasn't as aggressive in the d-zone as in past games, but he was able to stop the NSH attack, retrieve the puck, and minimize chances against.

Play style, he is not playing like classic EK. Very little jumping into the rush or roving in the ozone. He looks like more of a fit in San Jose the way he is playing right now which is a lot more conservative.

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
Very good game by EK against NSH. It was the first mistake free game I've seen since watching the last four. As always, his passing and transition was excellent. He wasn't as aggressive in the d-zone as in past games, but he was able to stop the NSH attack, retrieve the puck, and minimize chances against.

Play style, he is not playing like classic EK. Very little jumping into the rush or roving in the ozone. He looks like more of a fit in San Jose the way he is playing right now which is a lot more conservative.
dXt1kKo.gif

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Maybe he’s like... let me figure out this intense defense system and then I’ll play like me later..

He did have some amazing rushes up the ice.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Maybe he’s like... let me figure out this intense defense system and then I’ll play like me later..

I don't think he can play like EK in San Jose. Their system doesn't support it, and it leads to more mistakes than chances because of that.

He can still be an excellent defender who is one of the top defenders in the league.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I just rewatched and saw that, love it. He may be having issues fully integrating (though I agree best effort today) but he seems to be really clicking with the team.

This is a bigger factor IMO than where his game is. Ice is ice, I don't think he'll feel like his struggles are a reflection of playing in SJ or for this team and staff. He likely wants what most players want... A nice place to live, great teammates and a legit chance to win every season (not be a one hit wonder team like the one he came from). SJ provides that while also being the only team that can give him the 8th year which will end up being just another positive mark in the Sharks favor.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

The amazing thing about him is how he makes everyone else on the ice look slow. He barely looks like he's skating hard. When the playoffs come and mistakes are magnified I expect him to have his game worked out and be able to absolutely kill teams with his transition game. He is an instant odd man rush when he decides to be.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
On that extended powerplay/short 5on3 the Sharks were having trouble getting the puck in the zone. Then Karlsson skates it in like it was nothing, make a nice little pass along the right boards and we have full possession in the zone. They need to use that more often.

But next time don't pass it to the left circle to a waiting Vlasic, who flubs a shot/pass and it came back the other way. #NoPicklesOnThePP

Reactions: LA Shark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don't think he can play like EK in San Jose. Their system doesn't support it, and it leads to more mistakes than chances because of that.

He can still be an excellent defender who is one of the top defenders in the league.

The thing is, it’s exactly how Burns plays, so I have to imagine Karlsson will/does get the same leeway. Despite what people here say of PDB, he’s not dumb nor a bad coach - his defense has always pinched, etc. I think right now it’s more Karlsson feeling comfortable than the system not allowing him to be him.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

It was the style David Cameron wanted him to play in Ottawa. Far less skating rushes, stay back more, not much pinching unless he's already in the offensive zone, or it's turbo mode (getting into the playoffs, or being in the playoffs). Stay back, deliver, react, get the puck back, get it the right way. I think Cameron taught him a different style of his own repertoire. I mean, listen to the coach and the players when Karlsson played at the top in that system:

I mean, sure, he's not that strong battling muscle monsters. He has some problems to pivot after getting his achilles tendons (fitting for a God, right, lol) cut off by scrub Cooke, getting half his heel removed... but still, he reads the play really well, he blocks shots, he steals pucks at a top level and pushes the play up the ice with world class quality. You don't have Karlsson to wrestle around your own net, you put him on the ice to be most assured the pucks are being fired against the opposing net. He's very solid, in game shape in his defensive zone, but that's not the intention of his team role.

Both his teammates - and his coach - in Ottawa meant he was just as good defensively as offensively, playing and coaching with him every day. Now, that was before he removed half of his heel, lost his child and whatnot ridiculous, grevious incidence that didn't happen during that season for him. So, he was backstabbed by the franchise, as he saw it and traded from what he considered his home, to San Jose. He saw it as his home. Mentally, for most people, such a rough year would take time to heal, individually, to be able to accept all of that. As for individually driven persons as NHL pros with a big ego, oh man. They're in for a ride. Some have the humility left, some don't. Karlsson has humility, don't worry.

Long story short, I don't even know why you worry that much. Karlsson has had a mental nightmare ride. So many tough recoveries and sorrows. He can still play the game at ridiculous level, he just has to smelt all the crap, the crap fan has thrown in his general direction. When he's done with that, you have a ridiculous player on your team. He's only playing as a shadow of himself right now, but he'll get there, when he's ready and somewhat understands his teammates - and vice versa.

He spoke of "years" to learn what it is to be a San Jose Sharks player. I think he really meant that, in his thinking of playing hockey. Not until he plays years with San Jose, will he know the players good enough to be able to work with them properly, which was what I think he tried to describe. He knew the guys inside out and they knew him in Ottawa. Then you can create magic.

You want some stats? He's tied 2nd in the league in takeaways (Barkov leads with 27, Marner has 25, both are centers, Karlsson is not). He only has 13 giveaways, that's low considering his style of play. His save goalie percentage on ice the is .855, which is really unlucky considering the goals scored against him on replays, compared to other defensemen on San Jose allowing similar situations. His corsi? Really good.

End story of it all? You want roaming Karlsson. He's much more fun to watch, or change the setup considering to the game, if DeBoer was smart enough. Or, you might get him at crunch time regardless of DeBoer, because he wants to win.

TL;DR: He'll get there if you have the patience. His problems are mental, I would certainly assume.

edit: So I might've mixed the coaches in Ottawa. I don't care.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It was the style David Cameron wanted him to play in Ottawa. Far less skating rushes, stay back more, not much pinching unless he's already in the offensive zone, or it's turbo mode (getting into the playoffs, or being in the playoffs). Stay back, deliver, react, get the puck back, get it the right way. I think Cameron taught him a different style of his own repertoire. I mean, listen to the coach and the players when Karlsson played at the top in that system:

I mean, sure, he's not that strong battling muscle monsters. He has some problems to pivot after getting his achilles tendons (fitting for a God, right, lol) cut off by scrub Cooke, getting half his heel removed... but still, he reads the play really well, he blocks shots, he steals pucks at a top level and pushes the play up the ice with world class quality. You don't have Karlsson to wrestle around your own net, you put him on the ice to be most assured the pucks are being fired against the opposing net. He's very solid, in game shape in his defensive zone, but that's not the intention of his team role.

Both his teammates - and his coach - in Ottawa meant he was just as good defensively as offensively, playing and coaching with him every day. Now, that was before he removed half of his heel, lost his child and whatnot ridiculous, grevious incidence that didn't happen during that season for him. So, he was backstabbed by the franchise, as he saw it and traded from what he considered his home, to San Jose. He saw it as his home. Mentally, for most people, such a rough year would take time to heal, individually, to be able to accept all of that. As for individually driven persons as NHL pros with a big ego, oh man. They're in for a ride. Some have the humility left, some don't. Karlsson has humility, don't worry.

Long story short, I don't even know why you worry that much. Karlsson has had a mental nightmare ride. So many tough recoveries and sorrows. He can still play the game at ridiculous level, he just has to smelt all the crap, the crap fan has thrown in his general direction. When he's done with that, you have a ridiculous player on your team. He's only playing as a shadow of himself right now, but he'll get there, when he's ready and somewhat understands his teammates - and vice versa.

He spoke of "years" to learn what it is to be a San Jose Sharks player. I think he really meant that, in his thinking of playing hockey. Not until he plays years with San Jose, will he know the players good enough to be able to work with them properly, which was what I think he tried to describe. He knew the guys inside out and they knew him in Ottawa. Then you can create magic.

You want some stats? He's tied 2nd in the league in takeaways (Barkov leads with 27, Marner has 25, both are centers, Karlsson is not). He only has 13 takeaways, that's low considering his style of play. His save goalie percentage on ice the is .855, which is really unlucky considering the goals scored against him on replays, compared to other defensemen on San Jose allowing similar situations. His corsi? Really good.

TL;DR: He'll get there if you have the patience.

edit: So I might've mixed the coaches in Ottawa. I don't care.

Where did you see him speak of taking years to learn to play in San Jose? If he did say that, that is extremely encouraging for his future. As is the celebration from he and Burns on Jumbo’s 400th. In fact, I would make the argument that Thornton’s 400th was the best (on-ice) Sharks moment since 2016.

Karlsson attending anti-bullying events with SJ Sharkie is also a very good sign. :)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Where did you see him speak of taking years to learn to play in San Jose? If he did say that, that is extremely encouraging for his future. As is the celebration from he and Burns on Jumbo’s 400th. In fact, I would make the argument that Thornton’s 400th was the best (on-ice) Sharks moment since 2016.

Karlsson attending anti-bullying events with SJ Sharkie is also a very good sign. :)

Just listen to this interview and assume the hockey player interviewed is 100% honest about what he says. It's a rarity, but this is the guy that openly revealed his heal injury basically at the start of the playoffs. I mean, that must be a record in NHL honesty in its own, right? Nobody ever reveals details about injury and then you have Karlsson who tells the specifics.

I'm struggling to find the exact interview where he said it would take years to feel "at home", now, that might now include the San Jose Sharks, I don't know the intepretation, I might've worded that badly. Until further notice, take my words on that part lightly. My take is, it will take a while, but you should be good at april.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad