Speculation: Erik Karlsson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
Still don't understand why so many are not considering the cost of living. If EK were to get an $8.5 - $9 Million per year here in Tampa, it would go just as far here as $12-$13 Million per year in San Jose. An example is a house. The cost of the average home in Tampa is in the $250K or so range. The cost of the average home in San Jose is over a MILLION... that's 4 times more than Tampa area on average. It matters.

While it's not technically on par with what SJ would offer in a literal numbers sense, the bottom line for Karlsson would be the lower cost of living and no state taxes would put more money in his bank account than the SJ offer.

My understanding is you get taxed in the city you play in. So if he plays half his games in San Jose, he would have to pay the 13.3 state income. Plus they would play Anaheim and LA a few times per year and would have to pay the extra tax. So, just rounding off, if 60% of his games were in California, and based on an 11M salary, he would be taxed $880K in state taxes. Property taxes are more, but also a tax write off. So, that would cost more than Tampa, but I'm not sure how much more. As far a housing, it would be more. But if you look at it as an asset, it may go up in value more than Florida, or just the same. So, it would be higher to live there but I think the difference with everything included may be around 1M more per year and not 2-3M like I have heard people say. Please comment if I'm off base on how they tax NHL players. I may be totally off base. Also, in Tampa, the games you play in NY(Rangers, Islanders, Sabres)-15% state tax, Boston-5% and Canada. That would have to be put in the calculations.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
My understanding is you get taxed in the city you play in. So if he plays half his games in San Jose, he would have to pay the 13.3 state income. Plus they would play Anaheim and LA a few times per year and would have to pay the extra tax. So, just rounding off, if 60% of his games were in California, and based on an 11M salary, he would be taxed $880K in state taxes. Property taxes are more, but also a tax write off. So, that would cost more than Tampa, but I'm not sure how much more. As far a housing, it would be more. But if you look at it as an asset, it may go up in value more than Florida, or just the same. So, it would be higher to live there but I think the difference with everything included may be around 1M more per year and not 2-3M like I have heard people say. Please comment if I'm off base on how they tax NHL players. I may be totally off base. Also, in Tampa, the games you play in NY(Rangers, Islanders, Sabres)-15% state tax, Boston-5% and Canada. That would have to be put in the calculations.

I would guess they go the stamkos route and do almost all of it as bonus money. Everything that is a bonus gets taxed as earnings in Florida. So stamkos has like 7.5 paid before the season, and then a million in salary. He ends up with 500k taxed at away game rates.

I don’t know enough about the differences to answer your question though. I have asked the same question.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I would guess they go the stamkos route and do almost all of it as bonus money. Everything that is a bonus gets taxed as earnings in Florida. So stamkos has like 7.5 paid before the season, and then a million in salary. He ends up with 500k taxed at away game rates.

I don’t know enough about the differences to answer your question though. I have asked the same question.
Ya if the lightning front loaded the karlsson contract and did it the stamkos contract way then ya they would beat the sharks offers! If say we paid him 9 avv per year! Karlsson would get more net pay!. Because I’m sure stamkos claims he is a Florida resident! When he gets his 8.5 million dollar bonus every July 1st!

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd still bet on him waiting for the Talks window to open and seeing what other teams will do. We were never gonna be able to compete with the money.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What kind of changes should we make if Karlsson's not even remotely an option? The idea of a strong offensive minded D is still appealing to me. It would go a long way to help our 5v5 playoff woes.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Money is one thing but at 29 and having already made 45 million one has to think a Cup will be high on his priority list. Where does he go to have multiple chances to win that Cup. Does the Sharks have a better chance than the Bolts or Vegas?????? One thing for sure you can rule out Chicago and all the teams rebuilding. Its not about money for him hell hes playing now to support his grandchildren and great grandchildren if its about money.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Ya he is probably staying there
I wouldn't be so sure. If it were all about being the highest paid D-man, I am sure he would have already signed the deal and this speculation would be over. I mean, honestly, I don't think he is finding the thoughts of jet-setting all over two countries to be wined and dined all that appealing.

If they've made him an offer to make him the highest paid, I am certain no one is going to top it and he probably knows that too. I honestly think he does not want to remain in San Jose. I think he's got his mind made up that he wants to live in Florida, playing with his BFF on a world class club. I think he is waiting on the UFA window so they can begin figuring out if it can happen at a reasonable number for him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think he will check out what FA is like. Doesnt mean he will come here or not go back to the Sharks but I think he will at least look. Stamkos said that you only get to be a UFA once or twice if you are lucky and I bet it can be a fun thing. All these teams trying to sell you on being a part of their team has gotta be fun. I think even if I knew where I wanted to go I would still do a bit of that.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think he will check out what FA is like. Doesnt mean he will come here or not go back to the Sharks but I think he will at least look. Stamkos said that you only get to be a UFA once or twice if you are lucky and I bet it can be a fun thing. All these teams trying to sell you on being a part of their team has gotta be fun. I think even if I knew where I wanted to go I would still do a bit of that.

Yep. At least know what your options are.

This would be far and away the best place for him in every way except possibly $$

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
To acquire Karlsson, we'd to increase the Sharks offer.
So, we've to offer to Karlsson, at least 11 millions a year.
ELEVEN.
E-L-E-V-E-N-
Totally crazy salary.
I'm happy we won't pay this salary to Karlsson.

Now, let's go with the Point contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad