Speculation: Erik Karlsson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Thought there should be a thread for this like last year. Here is some stuff that has come out.

A blueprint for how the Lightning can make room for Erik Karlsson - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman: "I think the question is gonna be: 'does [Karlsson] want to play in Tampa?' and 'do they want to find a way to make it work?'"
Marek: "Do you think Tampa's the only option for him?"
Friedman: "I don't think it's his only option, but if you told me that that was his preferred option, I would see that"
Friedman: "I just really believe that if it's up to him, he will try to find a way to play in Tampa."
Friedman: "If he's going to go there he's going to have to make it work, right? It's not gonna be 11 million a year. Hedman makes 7.875, it's gonna be around there or less"

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Thought there should be a thread for this like last year. Here is some stuff that has come out.

A blueprint for how the Lightning can make room for Erik Karlsson - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman: "I think the question is gonna be: 'does [Karlsson] want to play in Tampa?' and 'do they want to find a way to make it work?'"
Friedman: "I don't think it's his only option, but if you told me that that was his preferred option, I would see that"
Friedman: "I just really believe that if it's up to him, he will try to find a way to play in Tampa."
Friedman: "If he's going to go there he's going to have to make it work, right? It's not gonna be 11 million a year. Hedman makes 7.875, it's gonna be around there or less"

Oh boy here we go

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If Karlsson comes in and makes less than Hedman, We better prepare for the impending shit storm from the Main Boards.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

...Why would Karlsson tweet that (it's definitely a goodbye) so soon?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We just have to let it play out. He is gonna do what he wants. If his heart is set here he will come. If elsewhere he's still a class act and world caliber player and it would have been an honor to see him here.

Yeah I hope he chooses us but you can only hope

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We know Callahan is good as gone. We should feel out who we can trade on draft day to move up. For example, the NYI are sitting on an embarrassment of cap space. Think they'd swap 1st round picks if we packaged Miller or Palat? Not saying we need to do this exact thing but it's the kind of move I'm talking about that'll help clear enough cap for a play at EK

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't want to sign EK, but if it happens, I'm fine with anywhere below 9. Anything more is a complete disaster.

Reactions: Hoek

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't want to sign EK, but if it happens, I'm fine with anywhere below 9. Anything more is a complete disaster.

Considering Kucherov makes $9.5 million I'd say it's unlikely EK gets more than 9 million. He's a May 31st birthday and a 6 year deal x $9 million puts him at roughly 35 when it's done. Unless we win the Cup in the last year of that deal hes ending his season at 34 years old.
The absolute worst thing we have to bitch about is that he may slow down by then. To use a comparable age at a high salary, if Seabrook's deal ended July 1st do you really think anyone would be wringing their hands over the fact he's slowing down and his team sucked? Instead it's arguably the worst deal in the league because it's got 5 more years left.

Just front load the deal and make it happen

Edit: that's not to say he's gonna take it either but I would start lower and make that the max offer

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
From Friedman's blog. This really does seem like it's simply going to come down to how big of a discount he's willing to take to play with Hedman

Karlsson made it clear he’s curious about the process, which could force the Sharks to change priorities. It is widely believed he’d like to see if Tampa Bay can make it work. Last summer, then-GM Steve Yzerman pursued John Tavares even though that looked impossible. Is there any reason Julien BriseBois would think differently?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
From Friedman's blog. This really does seem like it's simply going to come down to how big of a discount he's willing to take to play with Hedman
One difference between the Tavares and EK sweepstakes is Tavares was from Toronto. There was appeal to not only take a bunch of money but be a home town hero for his childhood, legacy franchise.

Dont think theres anything like that in the EK sweepstakes this year. Just where he wants to play and for how much.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Im not going to say no to Karlsson, but the only way it really works here is if he takes a discount. It helps keep the team competitive which is why he would be coming here in the first place. They will definitely have a discussion like they did with Tavares but whether or not they get a deal done is anyone's guess.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I might be mistaken (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but the SJS are no longer able to table the 8th year. That alone just totaled anywhere from $9-12 million. If that is correct then that is a substantial discount already for the sake of even getting to test the market. The only factor bigger than losing salaries is going to be what Point takes on his bridge and the good news is he just wants to stick around and has said he's open to either a bridge or long term deal. I agree with DFC. That tweet felt like "goodbye" and God knows Karlsson's already palled around with our players enough and the rumors have it we were his preferred destination and he was readily willing to extend with us.

We just gotta let it play out. I will be the least surprised person in the world if he signs here and if he doesn't then oh well.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I might be mistaken (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but the SJS are no longer able to table the 8th year. That alone just totaled anywhere from $9-12 million. If that is correct then that is a substantial discount already for the sake of even getting to test the market. The only factor bigger than losing salaries is going to be what Point takes on his bridge and the good news is he just wants to stick around and has said he's open to either a bridge or long term deal. I agree with DFC. That tweet felt like "goodbye" and God knows Karlsson's already palled around with our players enough and the rumors have it we were his preferred destination and he was readily willing to extend with us.

We just gotta let it play out. I will be the least surprised person in the world if he signs here and if he doesn't then oh well.
Karlsson can get 8-years as long as he doesn't hit free agency, so TB could trade for his rights before July 1 and sign him for 8-years.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Karlsson can get 8-years as long as he doesn't hit free agency, so TB could trade for his rights before July 1 and sign him for 8-years.
I dont think that's quite right. I think he needs to be on the teams reserve list as of the TDL to sign for 8.

Sign and trade is plausible though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad