Speculation: Erik Karlsson only, or Gardiner+Myers for 11M ?

Karlsson or Myers+Gardiner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Definitely Karlsson, no question. If you look at Cup winners, they almost always have one of the best players in the league. Karlsson is a top 5 dman on a bad day. When he’s firing on all cylinders, he’s THE best dman in the league.

But if we don't get Karlsson, should be go after that kind of plan B ?

Or just sign one guy, like Gardiner. He is becoming a whipping boy at Toronto, but looking his stats, those are nothing but great.

I think if Karlsson falls through, the best plan B would be waiting another year and taking a crack at Trouba the following offseason. We wouldn’t be signing Karlsson because we need him next year anyway, we’d need him in 2-3 years when all our young guys develop a little more and our 2019 1st is hitting his stride. So if Karlsson doesn’t pan out we suck again next year and try to get Trouba.

I think either of these scenarios, signing Karlsson in 2019 or Trouba in 2020, results in the same thing. That being the Wings becoming competitive again in the 2020-21 season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We could sign Gardiner, and that doesn't prevent signing also Trouba a year later.

Green/Ericsson/Daley will walk then at same summer than Trouba is UFA, if not those guys traded earlier and there's what, ~13 million capspace opening at defence. Something will go to Mantha + AA + Tuzzi extensions, but not all.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Definitely Karlsson, no question. If you look at Cup winners, they almost always have one of the best players in the league. Karlsson is a top 5 dman on a bad day. When he’s firing on all cylinders, he’s THE best dman in the league.

I think if Karlsson falls through, the best plan B would be waiting another year and taking a crack at Trouba the following offseason. We wouldn’t be signing Karlsson because we need him next year anyway, we’d need him in 2-3 years when all our young guys develop a little more and our 2019 1st is hitting his stride. So if Karlsson doesn’t pan out we suck again next year and try to get Trouba.

I think either of these scenarios, signing Karlsson in 2019 or Trouba in 2020, results in the same thing. That being the Wings becoming competitive again in the 2020-21 season.

yeah ideally I feel like the default this year should be not doing much

Karlsson is just an exception because it would be too good of a chance to pass up at acquiring talent,other names on the defensive side of things not so much they are fine and all but nothing that isn't available pretty much every year

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No idea how you can say the future is bright. Until Detroit drafts and develops whoever they pick this summer and Karlsson has signed, the team is still the same one that is at the bottom of the league. So barring two major coups Detroit is and will continue to be a bottom feeder for the foreseeable future (2-3 seasons).

Pretty much Detroit is not the same team WITH Karlsson and WITHOUT Karlsson. What a hell is this logic.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Karlsson would be an epic score for Detroit but will he come here now? Seems like he has a good run going in San Jose unless they view him as a one year guy to win now or bust. He'll command a hefty contract but not sure we'll be a contender.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I voted Karlsson but I highly doubt he leaves SJ. I believe they were rumored to offer Tavares 13 million a year so I’m sure they will use that on Karlsson instead.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Karlsson or bust for me.

Gardiner is going to get way overpaid by someone who misses out on Karlsson, and I don't get the Myers thing... He's like the Jets fans Ericsson...

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Karlsson of course, elite talent. But i think he's gonna stay in SJ. Myers and Gardiner might cost little more than 11M, more like 13-14M. Im sure Kenny will kick some tires with them.

Red Wings D 2020-21 with Myers+Gardiner

Cholowski-Myers
Gardiner-Hronek
DeKeyser-Lindström
McIsaac

Nice combo lefties, righties and kids, vets, size, speed and skill. Let's wait and see what happens.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I voted Karlsson but I highly doubt he leaves SJ. I believe they were rumored to offer Tavares 13 million a year so I’m sure they will use that on Karlsson instead.

I think that 8-year option is possible after trade deadline. Then Karlsson could jump out from the market and Gardiner is left as the best summer UFA.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On a serious note - Karlsson or nothing.

Myers and Gardiner (especially Gardiner) will get overpaid and we don’t need any more bad contracts.

Reactions: Reddwit

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
On a serious note - Karlsson or nothing.

Myers and Gardiner (especially Gardiner) will get overpaid and we don’t need any more bad contracts.

When looking to stats, Gardiner looks nothing but great and Myers looks really bad. I know that Gardiner has done some critical mistakes, but he has really good defensive numbers, low on-ice GAA etc. I could see some kind of scapegoat status now as a Leaf, fans will remember every mistake from him, but in big picture he is effective.

I could see that Gardiner could be one of the smartest moves at next summer, if Toronto will let him walk. They don't even have the capspace for an extension.

I would stay away from Myers and definitely make an offer for both Karlsson and Gardiner (if Karlsson signs elsewhere).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What an easy poll. Karlsson.

This poll basically describes what I keep find myself preaching against. Overpay for the star who is consistently a dominant force or don't overpay anyone. The worst case scenario is overpaying the hyped UFA who has a polarizing past. That's how you end up with Nielsen, Dekeyser, Abby, Helm, et al.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Need to figure out Lindstrom's potential before a UFA is signed.

No we don't. Lindstrom could be the next LIDstrom and that is irrelevant. He isn't going to get paid big money on his next contract and if we end up in the enviable situation of having all of Hronek, Cholowski, and Lindstrom panning out while also having Karlsson, then you exhaust all trade routes before going to Seattle and paying them semi-handsomely to not select one of your boys. You don't ever pass one a legitimate star because of what some kid might do in a couple years.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Karlsson any day of the week and twice on sundays. Having the best D-man on the planet would be nice again.

Plus, Karlsson is my favorite player after Dats retired so him wearing the winged wheel would be awesome.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When looking to stats, Gardiner looks nothing but great and Myers looks really bad. I know that Gardiner has done some critical mistakes, but he has really good defensive numbers, low on-ice GAA etc. I could see some kind of scapegoat status now as a Leaf, fans will remember every mistake from him, but in big picture he is effective.

I could see that Gardiner could be one of the smartest moves at next summer, if Toronto will let him walk. They don't even have the capspace for an extension.

I would stay away from Myers and definitely make an offer for both Karlsson and Gardiner (if Karlsson signs elsewhere).

Product of his environment. Put him on a bad team and he will look way different. We’re going to pay him for point totals he won’t be able to match here. No thanks for me.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
No we don't. Lindstrom could be the next LIDstrom and that is irrelevant. He isn't going to get paid big money on his next contract and if we end up in the enviable situation of having all of Hronek, Cholowski, and Lindstrom panning out while also having Karlsson, then you exhaust all trade routes before going to Seattle and paying them semi-handsomely to not select one of your boys. You don't ever pass one a legitimate star because of what some kid might do in a couple years.
Fortunately, Karlsson has a chance to go to a winner and is in the drivers seat. There is no way he signs in Detroit. Hopefully, we will continue to build a core over the next few years and then become attractive to UFAs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Product of his environment. Put him on a bad team and he will look way different. We’re going to pay him for point totals he won’t be able to match here. No thanks for me.

Not sure about that. I could see Rielly is more that. Gardiner looks great on 2-season data, where majority of data comes without Tavares.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
But if we don't get Karlsson, should be go after that kind of plan B ?

Or just sign one guy, like Gardiner. He is becoming a whipping boy at Toronto, but looking his stats, those are nothing but great.

No. Nein. Neither.

First of all, Myers is terrible. I wouldn't expect everyone to know how every player in the league is trending, so I don't fault you for that, but he's really had a reckoning with the new NHL. And at his age, even if everyone in the NHL is on to his downfall, he'll still probably get at least 4 years. Look at JMFJ.

Second, Gardiner is a polarizing player for a reason. TML fans are ruthless but Gardiner is a buzzkill. He's like Brendan Smith at max potential - a lot of raw talent to carry him but is good for a back-breaking bone-headed mistake at any moment. That's not what this organization needs for the next 5+ years.

This is how I would prioritize:

1. Karlsson
2. Trade for appropriate target (Trouba, Pietro, odd man out in Carolina)
3. Cheap vet on a 1 year deal.

I would honestly rather have Kronwall back for 1 more year than go after a UFA of Myers/Gardiner's caliber.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Fortunately, Karlsson has a chance to go to a winner and is in the drivers seat. There is no way he signs in Detroit. Hopefully, we will continue to build a core over the next few years and then become attractive to UFAs.

What exactly is a "winner" over the course of 7-8 years? And how many of the current "winners" who will likely continue to be "winners" can afford him?

I think there's a very good chance Karlsson re-signs in San Jose. Is San Jose a winner? Well, they've never won anything and their core is one of the oldest in the NHL playoff picture. They also have a mediocre prospect pool and a poorly balanced second wave of young roster players. Yet the word out there is that Karlsson is at the very least considering re-signing.

Personally, I think the idea of big UFAs signing with "winners" is dead in the water because there are very few long-term winners anymore. A team can go from top to bottom in 2 years in today's NHL. If you're a UFA who is signing for the rest of his prime, wouldn't you prefer the team that has the strong organizational record over the newest hot team with a spotty history? Ideally, you go for both, but that's rarely an option in a capped world.

So, to address the greater question at play here, I think Detroit has a decent shot at Karlsson because they have a long history of being committed to winning and have thus far done a ton of things right in the march towards relevancy again. They may not currently be "winners" but the organization itself has a drive to be just that which historically renews with each off-season. That's a hell of a lot of comfort when trying to predict how things pan out over the next 7 years.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Detroit will be trending up instantly from the 1st second Karlsson signs here, and we would contend all of his last seasons of a 7-year contract.

"Winners" are against the cap. Nobody has room for 10M Karlsson. You have to pick the "next who is becoming a winner" and has cap space and where the player himself joining makes the difference.

San Jose will be trending down in 2-3 years. Good luck by locking yourself there for 8 years.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Detroit will be trending up instantly from the 1st second Karlsson signs here, and we would contend all of his last seasons of a 7-year contract.

"Winners" are against the cap. Nobody has room for 10M Karlsson. You have to pick the "next who is becoming a winner" and has cap space and where the player himself joining makes the difference.

San Jose will be trending down in 2-3 years. Good luck by locking yourself there for 8 years.

I think another huge factor that we haven't talked about much is Yzerman potentially signing in Detroit, whether or not he comes in as GM immediately. On paper alone, that should land a big vote of confidence from any UFA, but also - can you imagine the hype that would come out of that press conference? "The prodigal son who led Detroit to 3 Stanley Cups returns home to do it all over again from the front office." The spin writes itself.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
No. Nein. Neither.

First of all, Myers is terrible. I wouldn't expect everyone to know how every player in the league is trending, so I don't fault you for that, but he's really had a reckoning with the new NHL. And at his age, even if everyone in the NHL is on to his downfall, he'll still probably get at least 4 years. Look at JMFJ.

Second, Gardiner is a polarizing player for a reason. TML fans are ruthless but Gardiner is a buzzkill. He's like Brendan Smith at max potential - a lot of raw talent to carry him but is good for a back-breaking bone-headed mistake at any moment. That's not what this organization needs for the next 5+ years.

This is how I would prioritize:

1. Karlsson
2. Trade for appropriate target (Trouba, Pietro, odd man out in Carolina)
3. Cheap vet on a 1 year deal.

I would honestly rather have Kronwall back for 1 more year than go after a UFA of Myers/Gardiner's caliber.

I strongly agree. "Buzzkill" is a perfect adjective to describe Gardiner. I've watched probably 100+ Toronto games the last years and I honestly loathe the guy. Stupid mistakes, weak plays; he's not exceptionally good at anything. I think Jensen does the same job for a lot cheaper. The Wings cannot, under any circumstances, dumpster dive the Leaf's has-been's. Part of the problem was delaying a rebuild by signing average players just to fill out the roster. F that. Accept we suck and use the draft to replenish the cupboard.

Karlsson obviously is a different story. No way could Detroit not try to go after him.

Reactions: Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad