Speculation: Erik Karlsson only, or Gardiner+Myers for 11M ?

Karlsson or Myers+Gardiner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So what do you think?

Which would be better option?

11M for Erik Karlsson only, or 11M for Tyler Myers + Jake Gardiner package.

All are TOP3 27-28 aged UFA defencemen at next summer.

Clear #1D defence:

DeKeyser - Karlsson
Cholowski - Green
Ericsson - Hronek

(Daley)

or

Comittee Defence:

DeKeyser - Green
Cholowski - Myers
Gardiner - Hronek

(Ericsson)

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I would rather get the singular best player

The cap ramifications are too dangerous with guys like Myers and Gardiner IMO, they are both deserving of something like ~$6M cap hits on whatever term they negotiate, and to me that has a lot of potential to not work out down the road in a couple of seasons

They are fine players but don't move the needle enough, in fact they might push the Wings to bubble team status and leave us in that realm which would be a sticky situation IMO

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
But if we don't get Karlsson, should be go after that kind of plan B ?

Or just sign one guy, like Gardiner. He is becoming a whipping boy at Toronto, but looking his stats, those are nothing but great.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
But if we don't get Karlsson, should be go after that kind of plan B ?

Or just sign one guy, like Gardiner. He is becoming a whipping boy at Toronto, but looking his stats, those are nothing but great.

My preference is no

Don't sign UFAs unless they are at a 1st line/ pair/ starter level of impact because anything below should be able to be drafted and developed with a decent amount of regularity

If Cholowski is going to be a Gardiner-like player I'd rather take the time developing him and ideally get him locked into a contract that doesn't come with all of the UFA upsells that agents get in July every year

Karlsson is the type of guy who can't be found every few seasons, same with Duchene, Panarin, Stone, Bobrovsky, Skinner

to me those guys are players you target and happily overpay in free agency because they are so much higher impact than the norm

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Need to figure out Lindstrom's potential before a UFA is signed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You don't think Karlsson is salivating at the idea of lining up with Danny "The Noodle" DeKeyser?

Best hockey Karlsson has played on his career was with Marc Methot = DeKeyser clone.

I think they would match very well together. DeKeyser could be the spectator what happens after the red line and vise versa.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Part of it depends on who we trade off, if we trade anyone off. I think Cholo and Hronek are deserving of spots on next year's team. Absent a trade, we already have Green, Dekeyser, Ericsson, and Daley signed. We do what we have to do to make Karlsson work. Given how reluctant Holland is at dealing guys at what he perceives as below value, I'm not sure what we do if we still have all of those guys and we add Gardiner and Myers. We could roll with 8 D for awhile, and maybe that would be incentive for some guys to really open up on who they'd waive their NTCs for.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Karlsson and Larkin would be great building blocks. Add in a 1C in the upcoming draft if Holland maximizes our odds and the rebuild finally gets off on a solid foundation.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
option 3

$11m for Kyle Quincey,Marc Methot,Jay Bouwmeester,and Braydon Coburn

that's FOUR guys right there how could you lose

giphy.gif

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I hope these guys all end up on better rosters than what we have right now.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
If we win the lottery it might entice Karlsson a little. We have a lot of good young talent and we are only a coulple good pieces and a couple of years away from being contenders again. Futures bright here man.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If we win the lottery it might entice Karlsson a little. We have a lot of good young talent and we are only a coulple good pieces and a couple of years away from being contenders again. Futures bright here man.
No idea how you can say the future is bright. Until Detroit drafts and develops whoever they pick this summer and Karlsson has signed, the team is still the same one that is at the bottom of the league. So barring two major coups Detroit is and will continue to be a bottom feeder for the foreseeable future (2-3 seasons).

Reactions: odin1981

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad