Speculation: Erik Karlsson only, or Gardiner+Myers for 11M ?

Karlsson or Myers+Gardiner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
IMO we sign Karlsson, no desire to sign Gardiner as I have no doubt that this fan base would turn on him in less then a month.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not sure about that. I could see Rielly is more that. Gardiner looks great on 2-season data, where majority of data comes without Tavares.

Doesn’t matter, even before Tavares they had stacked forwards.

That forward group has a ton of talent. They are inflating his numbers along with Rielly. Drop either one on a rebuilding team and watch those numbers drop off a cliff. And it’s not like he is someone like Niskanen, where he has a defensive game to make up for his points going down.

Personally I would pass on him. Wouldn’t be the worst signing we’ve made if it happens, but too many red flags for me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That forward group has a ton of talent. They are inflating his numbers along with Rielly. Drop either one on a rebuilding team and watch those numbers drop off a cliff. And it’s not like he is someone like Niskanen, where he has a defensive game to make up for his points going down.

Personally I would pass on him. Wouldn’t be the worst signing we’ve made if it happens, but too many red flags for me.

More I wonder is his low long-term GAA, than high GF, which could be inflated because of that great offense. Relative number is great because of that GAA, not because of GF. Maybe Andersen saves him every night, but won't save others.

Gardiner is statistically the exact opposite, what people are saying him to be. That's somewhat weird.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Keep in mind as well, reports that came out a few months back said it would likely take around 6-7 mil per year to sign him.

This is the the link I found, but I remember seeing it in a lot of places. Pierre LaBrun being the source sounds familiar.

[Leafs Links] Pierre LeBrun: "It will be between $6-7 million for Jake Gardiner if he hits the market, and not as much if he wants to be part of this puzzle in Toronto"; Sean Avery on playing for Mike Babcock | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was looking Gardiner's contract comparables, and found guys with ~6M range. And those deals are signed on earlier years with lower cap, so realistic number because of the rising cap would be something 6+, under 7M.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I'd take Gardiner. Not a fan of Myers.

Obviously I would take Karlsson over the combo.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
This is interesting stuff. Do you have a TED Talk of yours you could link me to?

Nope. Id recommend talking to Erik Karlsson if you’d like more information on the factors that will influence his personal decision. It will be more accurate than arbitrary speculation.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Nope. Id recommend talking to Erik Karlsson if you’d like more information on the factors that will influence his personal decision. It will be more accurate than arbitrary speculation.

I made a joke about DeKeyser. That was pretty much it.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I made a joke about DeKeyser. That was pretty much it.

This is good stuff. Do you have a Netflix special of yours you can link me to :sarcasm:

Seriously though, people speculating about decisions they know nothing about is a peeve (good luck to me on the internet) and I see too much of it. As much as you were joking I see others trying to provide definitive answers on what EK may or may not do and it’s silly.

Backhandbeauty

Dec 28, 2018
Myers and Gardiner wow what a couple of great fits. Another injury prone defensemen in Myers and turnstile in Gardiner. They're totally going to turn things around. My interest in acquiring one or both of them is best illustrated by taking the number zero and then proceeding to take giant dump on it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
does Karlson even want to come here?

I'm just ivestigating through all teams which could have a chance for Karlsson.

I think best place would be Boston. Chara takes 1-year retirement deal and there you go:

Chara - Karlsson
Krug - Carlo
Moore - McAvoy

Reactions: pz29

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
No idea how you can say the future is bright. Until Detroit drafts and develops whoever they pick this summer and Karlsson has signed, the team is still the same one that is at the bottom of the league. So barring two major coups Detroit is and will continue to be a bottom feeder for the foreseeable future (2-3 seasons).

We just went through a complete overhaul as far as team identity goes. There is a lot to look forward too. It’s not very often teams go on a 25 year tear. I can be patient and watch some crappy hockey for a couple years. We have a lot of young talent man and it’s exciting to see how they all pan out. This doom and gloom atmosphere around here is killing me.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
does Karlson even want to come here?
If this was 2011 and we had a bunch of Swedes on the roster, I'd say yes.

It's a hard sell convincing a top free agent pushing 30, who's never won the Stanley Cup, that he should sign a long-term contract with a bottom feeder team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad