Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Because he has agreed to be traded to a team he wants to sign with and wants to help them win the cup this year.

At the trade deadline he will be worth at least that much and ONLY if he's indicated he will be testing free agency. If he's willing to sign with a team as part of the deal, his value goes way up, even at the deadline. Especially if he's willing to sign with more than one team and a bidding war ensues.
by costing said team more assets? That makes no sense.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I agree Hamilton is a lesser piece, no arguments here. But the reason why I argue the value is there for Ottawa, is because Hamilton is an elite scoring dman in the NHL, he's young enough to fit Ottawa's rebuild, he makes the kind of money they would be comfortable with, and he is likely to be among the highest quality pieces that would be offered to the Sens.

I would include Jankowski, but that is the most I would go. I think Dougie will have some 60pt seasons in his very near future.

Agreed that Hamilton is likely to be one of the highest quality pieces offered. The guy is a stud D and I'm very high on him. But.....it's Erik Karlsson we're talking about here. Even if other teams didn't offer up a single piece as good as Hamilton, I have no doubt there'd be a number of teams that would outbid the total value of a Hamilton/Jankowski package.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
No.

Calgary doesn't need Karlsson, he would be a luxury. This also severely destroys the flames center depth. Not trading Monahan.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
:laugh: Why on earth would Karlsson do Melnyk a favour like that? He's not going help the Senators while also severely weakening the team he's about to join. Absolutely delusional to think he'd agree to an extension just to help Ottawa.

And if fans think 1 year of Karlsson is going to bring back a Lindros-like return they're in for a fun awakening. Think more Pronger -Anaheim to Philedelphia- type of return. There's zero chance they'd ever get back a Monahan, let alone Hamilton too. Hilarious.

Reactions: 666

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Ill prob get roasted by all leaf haters

Leafs:
Karlsson

Ottawa:
Nylander
2018 1st
2019 first
Bracco

Or

Gardner
2018 1st and second
Borgmen/Rosen
2019 2nd

If Karlsson wants to sign with the leafs il wait a year and sign him, I'm not giving up a young star and two firsts to get him a year early.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What incentive does Ottawa have to move Karlsson for rental value in the summer when he'll have at least the same value at the trade deadline and will have helped lower the value of the pick the Avs hold?

The only way the Sens move Karlsson this summer is if he agrees to sign with the team he is being moved to. A signed Karlsson is one of the most valuable assets in the league.

In summary, please take your lowball offers and stick them where the sun don't shine.

Ottawa knows he's healthy now and if he's injured at trade deadline they don't get anything for him. So if the player wants to move on and the team wants to make sure they get decent value for him, they'll trade him as a rental even if the player refuse to sign with anyone before hitting free agency.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Nylander
Dermott
1st
2nd

For

Karlsson resigned

I'd imagine that the Leafs aren't getting Karlsson, let alone Karlsson with an implied extension for anything short of Matthews, which probably is pointless for TOR. They add one superstar in a position of need, but lose another and create a different position of need. Nylander is an exceptional young player, but there's no way the Senators could justify to their fan base moving Karlsson to a their biggest rival for anything short of a can't refuse type offer.

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
I'd imagine that the Leafs aren't getting Karlsson, let alone Karlsson with an implied extension for anything short of Matthews, which probably is pointless for TOR. They add one superstar in a position of need, but lose another and create a different position of need. Nylander is an exceptional young player, but there's no way the Senators could justify to their fan base moving Karlsson to a their biggest rival for anything short of a can't refuse type offer.
Well the thing is , sens now NEED to move Karlsson or they will be losing him for nothing. I imagine they will not get a better offer than that. So ya that would get done.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Agreed that Hamilton is likely to be one of the highest quality pieces offered. The guy is a stud D and I'm very high on him. But.....it's Erik Karlsson we're talking about here. Even if other teams didn't offer up a single piece as good as Hamilton, I have no doubt there'd be a number of teams that would outbid the total value of a Hamilton/Jankowski package.

And I would leave that to your GM. From the years I have watched hockey, I have found it is always better to go with lesser pieces that are of higher quality than more pieces of lesser quality. I just have a hard time seeing why Ottawa would not try to get a top caliber player back for Karlsson rather than futures. It will set the franchise back many years.

But so I am clear, in no way do I think Hamilton is on Karlsson's level. I just think Calgary could leverage their situation by offering Hamilton straight up in their favour.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa knows he's healthy now and if he's injured at trade deadline they don't get anything for him. So if the player wants to move on and the team wants to make sure they get decent value for him, they'll trade him as a rental even if the player refuse to sign with anyone before hitting free agency.
The chances that he is healthy and posts a far better season than last year are strong.

The fact that he can help them in the standings in a year where they don't have their 1st round pick is massive.

Sorry logic dictaes they hold onto EK till the TDL if he won't agee to sign with the Sens or someone else.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Well the thing is , sens now NEED to move Karlsson or they will be losing him for nothing. I imagine they will not get a better offer than that. So ya that would get done.
The Sens don't need to move EK at a rental price till the trade deadline.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The chances that he is healthy and posts a far better season than last year are strong.

The fact that he can help them in the standings in a year where they don't have their 1st round pick is massive.

Sorry logic dictaes they hold onto EK till the TDL if he won't agee to sign with the Sens or someone else.
And if he gets hurt during the year?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
:laugh: Why on earth would Karlsson do Melnyk a favour like that? He's not going help the Senators while also severely weakening the team he's about to join. Absolutely delusional to think he'd agree to an extension just to help Ottawa.

And if fans think 1 year of Karlsson is going to bring back a Lindros-like return they're in for a fun awakening. Think more Pronger -Anaheim to Philedelphia- type of return. There's zero chance they'd ever get back a Monahan, let alone Hamilton too. Hilarious.

Karlsson agreeing to talk an extension with a team acquiring him is mutually beneficial. It would allow Karlsson to essentially limit his destinations to his preferred choices because logically teams getting Karlsson for 8 years will be willing to pay more than teams getting Karlsson for 1 year.

Why would Karlsson put himself in a situation where he and his family have to move twice in a one year time span? Not to mention, while he'll make more by waiting until July 1st 2019 and going the Tavares route, that type of action is rare amongst players because NHL contracts are guaranteed. Karlsson has had two MAJOR injuries in his career, so I'd imagine he doesn't have a false sense of invincibility. By extending with the team acquiring him, Karlsson will ensure that he will be 80-90 million (before taxes) richer, and that regardless of whether or not he suffers a major injury, he'll still get that money.

Reactions: Sensung

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
The Sens don't need to move EK at a rental price till the trade deadline.
Lol rental price. Tell you what, if Karlsson nets a better return than the equivalent of nylander, Dermott a forst and second I will film a video of me eating my shirt, and upload it to YouTube. It simply will not happen. Whether you want to believe it or not, they need to move him. I would be willing to bet they move him this summer so the acquiring team has him for a full year instead of 2 months, therefore maximizing the return.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
And if he gets hurt during the year?
If he suffers a season ending injury then they don't get anything.

It is a minimal risk that is far outweighed by the reward in having him return to Norris form and the bidding war that would ensue.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

What makes you think there will be teams who won't make other similar offers? If I am right, I'd imagine other teams offers don't even have to beat that offer you proposed, they just have to be within a reasonable range to them.

I don't think it's such a farfetched idea that the Senators wouldn't trade the best player in franchise history to their fanbases most hated team for anything short of an amazing offer that blows every other team's offers away. I don't think the offer you proposed is that kind of offer. There'll be lots of teams in on Karlsson.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Lol rental price. Tell you what, if Karlsson nets a better return than the equivalent of nylander, Dermott a forst and second I will film a video of me eating my shirt, and upload it to YouTube. It simply will not happen. Whether you want to believe it or not, they need to move him. I would be willing to bet they move him this summer so the acquiring team has him for a full year instead of 2 months, therefore maximizing the return.
Bookmarking this just in case.... Better odds than vegas has last summer. There's a chance.

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
What makes you think there will be teams who won't make other similar offers? If I am right, I'd imagine other teams offers don't even have to beat that offer you proposed, they just have to be within a reasonable range to them.

I don't think it's such a farfetched idea that the Senators wouldn't trade the best player in franchise history to their fanbases most hated team for anything short of an amazing offer that blows every other team's offers away. I don't think the offer you proposed is that kind of offer. There'll be lots of teams in on Karlsson.
Like I said , they won’t get a better offer. By all means if they want to take a lesser offer and get fleeced, go for it. This leaf fan certainly wouldnt be upset.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You are looking at the situation ass backwards.

Why do the Sens agree to move Karlsson now for a rental price when they can easily get equal value at the TDL?

The ONLY way the Sens agree to a deal at this time is if EK has agreed to an extension with the team involved in the transaction.

A signed EK is worth a boatload of talent. Monahan and Hamilton +

Why is EK worth more at the deadline?

There issue has that EK may not agree to an extension at all. The only reason he does so, is if he wants to stay in Ottawa. I agree that a signed EK is worth a boatload. An unsigned soon to be UFA EK is worth far less.

If EK has no intention of staying in Ottawa, he is not resigning. Why would he put his fate in Ottawa's hands like that?

So basically, you trade an unsigned EK or you resign him and he stays put. There's no sign and trade.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

1. While a good offer, they would likely get similar type offers from other teams

2. There is no doubt that Toronto would have to massively overpay. The backlash of Karlsson playing the rest of his career with Oattaws biggest rival would have to be outweighed by the massive overpayment Ottawa received for him (Think Marner + or Matthews)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad