Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread IV - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I’m gonna put my proposal back in here cause I don’t think many people saw it in the last big thread.

Pitt gets: Erik Karlsson

Florida gets: Phil Kessel, Tristan Jarry

OTT gets: Justin Schultz, Owen Tippett, 2019 1st (Florida), conditional 2019 2nd (Pitt)

*Conditions are if Karlsson plays all 82 games

Ottawa gets the 10th OA pick in 2017 who is a blue chip, a good top 4 RHD under the age of 30 to eat minutes while their prospects develop, and a 1st for Karlsson.

Penguins lose Kessel but have Sprong to fill RW and get the best D man in the league.

Florida loses a great prospect but gets Kessel who’s on a great contract and would really make their top 6 one of the best in the league. Also a guy to eventually replace Luongo.

why dont we get Kessel Jarry Schultz and a 2nd? if thats what you are willing to give up no need for a 3rd team

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
if by rip the band aid you mean take bad return, then no.

The "band aid" was a metaphor for losing him. I actually think they lose by waiting as I dont see the trades getting better past the season. I think they are better off dealing him now vs later but I actually prefer that they dont and he walk in FA.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
FWIW Erik Karlsson has been golfing with Zetterberg, Cleary and Filppula in Scotland, So if he does make it to UFA status next summer. Don't rule out Detroit as a possible destination he is friends with quite a few Wings players. But the same could be said with other teams as well.

Maybe on the condition that Detroit trade for Filppula and resign Cleary?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I really like TBs chances signing him as FA. Gives us plenty of time to get rid of some cap space and we have 3 vet D coming off the books after this year. Perfect fit in Tampa for Karlsson.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
The "band aid" was a metaphor for losing him. I actually think they lose by waiting as I dont see the trades getting better past the season. I think they are better off dealing him now vs later but I actually prefer that they dont and he walk in FA.

if a contract is in place (max value), there will be no effect on his value at the deadline

as a rental it will also be equivalent (as his current rental value) or greater with teams knowing exactly where they are in the season and a rental market being established

I don't think there is an effect on his value between now and the deadline, zero reason for there to be. However - I think Ottawa would definitely like to pull the trigger prior to the season just because if we don't it likely makes for a drama filled few months.

Reactions: BigCanadian

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
if a contract is in place (max value), there will be no effect on his value at the deadline

as a rental it will also be equivalent (as his current rental value) or greater with teams knowing exactly where they are in the season and a rental market being established

I don't think there is an effect on his value between now and the deadline, zero reason for there to be. However - I think Ottawa would definitely like to pull the trigger prior to the season just because if we don't it likely makes for a drama filled few months.

Dont see a contract in place when he is that close to FA. He would be a fool to sign before. I can see one now before this season starts, not when he is close to FA.

If no team is giving up their best prospects right now, they certainly wont at the deadline. Draft picks and prospects are gold in todays NHL. You dont give them up unless you really believe in your chances after acquiring him. Or if you know you can afford to give them. Which there really arent that many who can. Most are still trying to build a contender. No team is giving that unless they know they can re-sign.

I disagree that there isnt an effect on his value now than before the deadline. A lot of these teams that are in position to acquire him are going to drop out and look for other cheaper options. You dont let a team hold yours hostage from making your team better. You dont have that kind of time in the league these days. The value goes down after the season starts imo. A whole season of Karlsson is worth way more than a couple months of Karlsson.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I’m gonna put my proposal back in here cause I don’t think many people saw it in the last big thread.

Pitt gets: Erik Karlsson

Florida gets: Phil Kessel, Tristan Jarry

OTT gets: Justin Schultz, Owen Tippett, 2019 1st (Florida), conditional 2019 2nd (Pitt)

*Conditions are if Karlsson plays all 82 games

Ottawa gets the 10th OA pick in 2017 who is a blue chip, a good top 4 RHD under the age of 30 to eat minutes while their prospects develop, and a 1st for Karlsson.

Penguins lose Kessel but have Sprong to fill RW and get the best D man in the league.

Florida loses a great prospect but gets Kessel who’s on a great contract and would really make their top 6 one of the best in the league. Also a guy to eventually replace Luongo.

You're like that other poster who always includes Jarry in his lopsided proposals to benefit the Pens, but he had a Walter Sobchak avatar...

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I think the Karlsson situation is similar to yesterday’s Kawhi trade. Both players are about equal in ability in regards to their sport (top 5 player if healthy) but they both have injury concerns and only a year left on their contracts. It’s pretty well known Kawhi has his eyes on the Lakers while Karlsson is speculated to want Tampa. I don’t think it can be stated enough how much Karlsson signing an extension would increase his value.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think that's what's going on right now. Teams want a commitment for Karlsson that he'll sign with them long term. I just hope Ottawa doesn't lose him for nothing next summer as happened with the Islanders and Tavares.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think that's what's going on right now. Teams want a commitment for Karlsson that he'll sign with them long term. I just hope Ottawa doesn't lose him for nothing next summer as happened with the Islanders and Tavares.

If he doesn't want to commit now, they can trade him ... before the season for what should be better than a tdl deal for 1 season + playoffs... If they start the season with him and trade him at the TDL .. he will get a good return , just not as good imo.. Now things get complicated with the extension and trying to include Ryan which needs 3rd teams to be involved. Teams are also still signing current roster players so something may shake loose after arbitration. Negotiations could be on going ... just not hearing about it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If he doesn't want to commit now, they can trade him ... before the season for what should be better than a tdl deal for 1 season + playoffs... If they start the season with him and trade him at the TDL .. he will get a good return , just not as good imo.. Now things get complicated with the extension and trying to include Ryan which needs 3rd teams to be involved. Teams are also still signing current roster players so something may shake loose after arbitration. Negotiations could be on going ... just not hearing about it.

Thats another thing, including Ryan in a deal only gets harder as you wait. I think he gets traded to Vegas for their deal with Ryan included before the season starts.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012

I think that'd be great theater - to see Sens fans loose their collective minds over getting zero value from him when he walks in the summer.

Atleast they'd have cap space to sign the likes of Myers, Bouwmeester and Edler instead ....lol.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Dont see a contract in place when he is that close to FA. He would be a fool to sign before. I can see one now before this season starts, not when he is close to FA.

If no team is giving up their best prospects right now, they certainly wont at the deadline. Draft picks and prospects are gold in todays NHL. You dont give them up unless you really believe in your chances after acquiring him. Or if you know you can afford to give them. Which there really arent that many who can. Most are still trying to build a contender. No team is giving that unless they know they can re-sign.

I disagree that there isnt an effect on his value now than before the deadline. A lot of these teams that are in position to acquire him are going to drop out and look for other cheaper options. You dont let a team hold yours hostage from making your team better. You dont have that kind of time in the league these days. The value goes down after the season starts imo. A whole season of Karlsson is worth way more than a couple months of Karlsson.

Yeah I completely disagree with you - hes a 6.5million dollar player and at the deadline that is definitely an option - you don't look for cheaper ones when you are getting the best d-man at the NHL - paying the assets at the deadline to put a team into contention.

Value stays the exact same. That value might not be high/fair - and no a whole season is not a lot more valuable when you are already a contending team. No contenders emerge at the deadline and some fall off - but you are getting Karlsson to win a cup in the playoffs not play half a season. Matter of opinions but I 100% disagree.

a Contract could be in place at anytime, but if he wants to test FA now that likely wont change. I do not think deals will likely get better but any team that trades for him should know they have a good chance of signing him - they all have contact to his camp as of a few weeks ago.

I dont think we will get a great deal - but waiting has no effect at this point even though imo he will be dealt prior to the season. All it does is risk injury which is something I think Karlsson has to consider as a major benefit to signing a contract now

not sure what the hold up really is

Reactions: BigCanadian

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah I completely disagree with you - hes a 6.5million dollar player and at the deadline that is definitely an option - you don't look for cheaper ones when you are getting the best d-man at the NHL - paying the assets at the deadline to put a team into contention.

Value stays the exact same. That value might not be high/fair - and no a whole season is not a lot more valuable when you are already a contending team. No contenders emerge at the deadline and some fall off - but you are getting Karlsson to win a cup in the playoffs not play half a season. Matter of opinions but I 100% disagree.

a Contract could be in place at anytime, but if he wants to test FA now that likely wont change. I do not think deals will likely get better but any team that trades for him should know they have a good chance of signing him - they all have contact to his camp as of a few weeks ago.

I dont think we will get a great deal - but waiting has no effect at this point even though imo he will be dealt prior to the season

The hold up might be completely normal, and it is because this deal has to different than other trades because of how elite Karlsson is, and the need that the trade come with a massive extension in place. When there are many suitors and a need that all sides coordinate many factors, it makes a trade exponentially more difficult to make

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I dont think we will get a great deal - but waiting has no effect at this point even though imo he will be dealt prior to the season. All it does is risk injury which is something I think Karlsson has to consider as a major benefit to signing a contract now

I just think you risk the value going down is my main point. It could be better yes. But that uncertainty is why they wont wait. Also I pointed out the opportunity to trade Ryan with him gets harder as you move into the season. Which seems to be really important to them.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

I don't think you're going to find many who agree with you. The value isn't the same in getting a player for whole season+playoffs vs tail end of the season+playoffs. Doesn't matter who it is. Teams aren't going to include their best pieces without guarantees he's there beyond the current season. He'll get a good prospect and a first+a middle six player at the deadline. He'd get a bit more than that now without an extension, but teams aren't including their best pieces unless an extension is in place.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think you're going to find many who agree with you. The value isn't the same in getting a player for whole season+playoffs vs tail end of the season+playoffs. Doesn't matter who it is. Teams aren't going to include their best pieces without guarantees he's there beyond the current season. He'll get a good prospect and a first+a middle six player at the deadline. He'd get a bit more than that now without an extension, but teams aren't including their best pieces unless an extension is in place.

I don't know how the value will change; but, there will be more suitors at the deadline. More teams will consider themselves contenders. Nobody is going to give up anything right now for Karlsson who says he's going to UFA.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Isn't this why we have an Erik Karlsson megathread on the main page? Did you title this one "Ottawa Senators Going Forward" as a disguise just so you could have your own Karlsson trade thread?

its not though, this is a separate question. obviously if the Sens had their Choice, they keep Karlsson and make the playoffs next year, but as we've just seen with Tavares, Players arent always forthcoming about their intentions. So the question remains where do you personally draw the line? Are you willing to take it to the very end knowing that there is a very real possibility that you could end up with nothing or do you have your own personal line in the sand, and if so where is it

Like I say its less about Karlsson and more about the future of the franchise. which is a totally different question, as an Islander fan I can honestly say that we sincerely believed that we knew our captain. and his ultimate Handling of his decision (and not the decision itself) has triggered a complete shift in how I see all players and not just Tavares. You personally may not grasp the concept. but im sure others do.

its changed how I see players in all sports, not just Hockey which is why It deserves its own thread, the Kawhi Leonard and Manny Machado trades impact this as well, but I personally feel Hockey was less likely to see this before Tavares, but now I feel all bets are off

Last edited:

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
its not though, this is a separate question. obviously if the Sens had their Choice, they keep Karlsson and make the playoffs next year, but as we've just seen with Tavares, Players arent always forthcoming about their intentions. So the question remains where do you personally draw the line? Are you willing to take it to the very end knowing that there is a very real possibility that you could end up with nothing or do you have your own personal line in the sand, and if so where is it

Like I say its less about Karlsson and more about the future of the franchise. which is a totally different question, as an Islander fan I can honestly say that we sincerely believed that we knew our captain. and his ultimate Handling of his decision (and not the decision itself) has triggered a complete shift in how I see all players and not just Tavares. You personally may not grasp the concept. but im sure others do.

Well the fact that your thread got moved into the Karlsson megathread like I suggested seems to show that maybe I did grasp the concept...

Word it however you like, your OP was a straight up Karlsson for the 2019 1st trade proposal. These other factors you're mentioning are nothing different than what's being discussed multiple times in thread already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad