Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread III - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He will probably still go to Vegas even without Glass. But they will take Ryan and that is what will eventually close the deal.

Yep. Getting Ryan off our books will be huge. We may be pretending that we're trying to make the playoffs, but we're not, Dorion knows we're giving Colorado Jack Hughes so he'll doll it up by saying he's not that good or something.
Rumours that Tampa Bay only offered a 3-year deal might have turned Karlsson away from them as well.
The longer this goes, the worse the value gets for Ottawa so....

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Is there any new developments in the Karlsson talks? or has it just gone completely quiet? All I see are Eklund rumours around here haha.

I think he wants Tanner Glass..without him there is no deal.

#65 is being re-signed for 8 years by the Ottawa Senators.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It's bad if Ujiri lied to his face when he was in the process of negotiating with the Spurs. However, loyalty is irrelevant. It's a business and trades must be a part of it. Make the team better.

Thats true. But the same applies to the players as well. Just look how (understandably) butthurt Isles fans are about Tavares right now. The truth is that he made the right decision for himself but I don't think any Islanders fan cares about that.To them he is evil incarnated and a traitor. Which is stupid but understandable from a fan POV.

Its a business for everyone involved. Including the fans but we delude ourselves otherwise. If everything goes smoothly and the interests as well as performance/contract value align well, people talk about loyalty and fans heap praise on the individuals involved which is part of the fan experience the NHL is selling.
If the performance is bad, fans can't wait to rid themselves and their team from that overpaid loser that should be demoted to the AHL anyways. So yeah. Loyalty is a nice marketing tool and to a certain extent plays a role in some decisions but mostly shouldn't be expected..

Look at this EK mess and Dorions stupid "We will offer him an extension on July 1st garbage". He should have traded him quite some time ago but he unnecessarily put himself in a bind due to marketing reasons and because the franchise is dependent on the good-will of the fans who are very loyal to their superstar. So that clearly did not go well.

Ujiri did the right thing for his franchise regardless unless he lied to DeRozan in a way that might turn off other players when it comes to negotiating with Toronto.

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
To Winnipeg: Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan (50% retained)

To Ottawa: Jacob Trouba (somewhere between 5-6.25 M AAV)
Jack Roslovic
2019 1st Rd Pick
2020 3rd Rd Pick (becomes 2nd if Karlsson re-signs)

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I'll bet EK ends up in Vegas. Not only can Vegas absorb the Ryan contract which would make Ottawa management happy, but EK will get to be the lone superstar #1D man franchise player. Would be really good for Vegas too as having EK around for the foreseeable future would help keep them coming back to the playoffs/WCF.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Thats true. But the same applies to the players as well. Just look how (understandably) ******** Isles fans are about Tavares right now. The truth is that he made the right decision for himself but I don't think any Islanders fan cares about that.To them he is evil incarnated and a traitor. Which is stupid but understandable from a fan POV.

Its a business for everyone involved. Including the fans but we delude ourselves otherwise. If everything goes smoothly and the interests as well as performance/contract value align well, people talk about loyalty and fans heap praise on the individuals involved which is part of the fan experience the NHL is selling.
If the performance is bad, fans can't wait to rid themselves and their team from that overpaid loser that should be demoted to the AHL anyways. So yeah. Loyalty is a nice marketing tool and to a certain extent plays a role in some decisions but mostly shouldn't be expected..

Look at this EK mess and Dorions stupid "We will offer him an extension on July 1st garbage". He should have traded him quite some time ago but he unnecessarily put himself in a bind due to marketing reasons and because the franchise is dependent on the good-will of the fans who are very loyal to their superstar. So that clearly did not go well.

Ujiri did the right thing for his franchise regardless unless he lied to DeRozan in a way that might turn off other players when it comes to negotiating with Toronto.

It's cool when a player signs long term, rather than being a mercenary, but if he wants to be a mercenary, or leave his long-time team in UFA, so be it. No loyalty. If he says "don't trade me," and then leaves in UFA, it's kind of silly on his part, but fans should get over it quick. Players should do whatever they want. Managers should do whatever they want.
If a player sits out mysteriously and screws his team over so bad they have to trade him...that's bad and he's bad, in my estimation.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
no.

like the Trouba to buffalo trade thread, the only thing about this that would be useful is...….

tell Trouba that if he does not have a more reasonable request on salary, we take him through arbitration and trade him to Ottawa.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
1) I don't see Ottawa retaining 50% on Ryan
2) I doubt Trouba would sign longterm in Ottawa. That's nto a knock on Trouba or the city of Ottawa but more due to the current state of the organization.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Horrible for Ottawa. Great trade for the Jets. Maybe they're not on his no-trade list.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'd probably do it if I thought Trouba would sign in Ottawa (he own't though). That's a lot of salary for the Jets as well, not sure how they would make that work. I also think that if Dorion/Melnyk was willing to retain 50% on Ryan he may actually have (limited) value, so he could take be taken out of the deal altogether and shipped elswhere (but I'm pretty sure Melnyk will want the full deal off the books, so it's a moot point)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't see the point of Ottawa trading Ryan at 50% because Ryan at 3.75M is a pretty damn good deal when you look at what guys get on the open market now. If Ryan is added it'll be with minimal retention or no retention at all and Winnipeg can't do that.

Also I doubt Winnipeg is high on Karlsson's list and wouldn't be surprised if he had them on his NTC like he does with Edmonton.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
To Winnipeg: Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan (50% retained)

To Ottawa: Jacob Trouba (somewhere between 5-6.25 M AAV)
Jack Roslovic
2019 1st Rd Pick
2020 3rd Rd Pick (becomes 2nd if Karlsson re-signs)
So the jets take on 14 million in salary, give up a top prospect and 2 high draft picks to fix their problem of having to fit trouba in under the cap...but he ends up signing in ottawa for 5.5-6 million? I take it you didn't think too long on this one.

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
He immediately gets top priority among their defense something he's never got in wpg with byfuglien/myers at rd
Except he's on winnipegs top pair now so that's not the case anymore. He logged big minutes for them the last 2 seasons and paired with Morrissey has become the teams best shutdown pairing.

Even if this wasn't an absolutely terrible trade for both sides... there's no way trouba resigns in ottawa long term

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Yep. Getting Ryan off our books will be huge. We may be pretending that we're trying to make the playoffs, but we're not, Dorion knows we're giving Colorado Jack Hughes so he'll doll it up by saying he's not that good or something.
Rumours that Tampa Bay only offered a 3-year deal might have turned Karlsson away from them as well.
The longer this goes, the worse the value gets for Ottawa so....

o_O

Sorry, but the thought that Yzerman would offer Erik Fricking Karlsson less term than he just gave McDonagh does not sound at all plausible. I mean, he gave KILLORN longer term than that. Plus the fact that he gives out NMCs like they're candy...

I'm gonna call shenanigans on that particular rumor.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
Value a bit off, another 2020 1st or 2nd would equal the value out imo. Besides that I think trouba wouldn't sign for that low since he said he wanted 8 mil from the Jets. And that's a cup contending team where players usually take a small dip on money to be on that kind of team.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Nope. Once again has history taught us nothing?

You don't trade a really good, younger D man for a really good, older D man especially when said older D man wants to be the highest paid D man in the league.

An absolute no from Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad