Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread III - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yep. Getting Ryan off our books will be huge. We may be pretending that we're trying to make the playoffs, but we're not, Dorion knows we're giving Colorado Jack Hughes so he'll doll it up by saying he's not that good or something.
Rumours that Tampa Bay only offered a 3-year deal might have turned Karlsson away from them as well.
The longer this goes, the worse the value gets for Ottawa so....

Who said this? This is the first I have heard in 500+ pages of Karlsson threads, and endless tweets and banter.

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
Also here was my thinking (for this year atleast):
-Jets have approx 20M in cap space right now and need to re-sign Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Tanev, Poolman, Dano, Petan
-Ryan at 3.6AAV actually has some value and he'd probably slot in on the Jets 3rd line. If you get 20-20 out of him and he's mostly healthy then it's good value.
-Karlsson at 6.5M and Ryan at 3.6M leaves the Jets with 9.9M in cap space
-Morrissey gets 4M AAV, Lowry 2.5M AAV, Tanev 1M AAV, and the other 3 at say 800K AAV
-Puts WPG right at the cap
-WPG goes all in for the cup this year (I think they'd be one of the favourites if not the favourite here)
-Obviously more players may need to be moved later to clear space for Wheeler, Laine, Connor, and Karlsson possibly but this gives them one year all in.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Laine
Perreault-Lowry-Ryan
Petan-Copp-Tanev
Dano (Possible Vesalainen, Lemieux, or Appleton make it over Petan or Dano)

Morrissey-Karlsson
Chiarot-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers
Poolman, Morrow

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

-Ottawa meanwhile, gets a young top pair defencemen to build around, and a young F that can play centre or wing in Roslovic. Roslovic can grow without much pressure at the NHL level on what's expected to be a bad OTT team. They still need bodies to fill out an NHL roster this year and they have a more cost controlled top d in Trouba who wants 7M when the Jets are offering 4M.

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Roslovic-Pageau-Boedker
Smith-White-Pyatt
Paajarvi-Chlapik-Gaborik
Carey, McCormick (Possible Tkachuk, Brown, or Paul make it over Chlapik, Carey, or McCormick)

Chabot-Trouba
Wideman-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wolanin
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets are not trading away the farm and kitchen sink for a one year rental......no chance. Fans would never support that idea and far more important management & ownership would never support that idea. We’re a D&D team, there is no short cuts to success.

Trouba is a top pairing young D.

Jack Roslovic is projecting to be our 2C maybe as early as this year......looked great last year with very limited ice time. He is our top prospect, no chance we give him and his ELC up.

1st & 3rd picks......seven years Chevy traded one 1st rd pick.........high picks are gold to us.

Zero chance we trade all that for a one year kick at the can......zero chance. If Chevy traded all that for a cap dump and a one year rental of EK he should be fired immediately.

Reactions: Snowman

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Bottom line, Trouba isn't leaving a contending team for a cellar dweller of a team in Ottawa.

Get a grip. Not really certain the Sens have been "cellar dwellers" unless that means being a bounce away from Cup final in the previous year. That kind of cellar? Try a little rationality. Also not crazy about Trouba on my team. Dirty player.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
“There won’t be much juggling because, before we even engaged in the process with John, we didn’t think it’d be fair to John to have him to come in and then suddenly have to lose those players that you’re referring to,” Dubas told OverDrive on TSN Radio 1050 Toronto.
“We went through a very stringent process internally where we went over and over it… to ensure that regardless of different variables that may interject themselves into this process as it goes along that we’re going to be able to keep that core of our team together while also remaining fairly flexible and be able to add players too."
yeah sure sounds like Dubas can't wait to get rid of him
The Dubas quote does certainly indicate that they do not intend on trading any core pieces.
However,in reality,everyone is available for the right price,always! Do you think Tavares would 2nd guess Dubas bringing in another hometown lad like Subban at the expense of Willy? The only criticism I have of the OP deal is the Toronto 1st,I would not include that.Perhaps another prospect but not the 1st.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The Dubas quote does certainly indicate that they do not intend on trading any core pieces.
However,in reality,everyone is available for the right price,always! Do you think Tavares would 2nd guess Dubas bringing in another hometown lad like Subban at the expense of Willy? The only criticism I have of the OP deal is the Toronto 1st,I would not include that.Perhaps another prospect but not the 1st.
I would if I were him. He wanted a team that can compete for the entire duration of his contract. that means keeping the budding star player in Nylander rather than shipping him out for a declining star player

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I would if I were him. He wanted a team that can compete for the entire duration of his contract. that means keeping the budding star player in Nylander rather than shipping him out for a declining star player

I wouldn’t make that trade but I don’t think Subban is declining any time soon. He’s a good player and defenseman usually play well into their thirties. Chara is still kicking around as a top pairing D. I don’t have a high opinion of Subban to be honest. I think he’s a great D but he’s not worth 9M and definitely not Nylander, 1st, a good prospect and Carrick.

I still wouldn’t make that trade and give up those assets and not even get Karlsson out of it. If we are giving up that much, I want a signed Karlsson in return not Subban.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn’t make that trade but I don’t think Subban is declining any time soon. He’s a good player and defenseman usually play well into their thirties. Chara is still kicking around as a top pairing D. I don’t have a high opinion of Subban to be honest. I think he’s a great D but he’s not worth 9M and definitely not Nylander, 1st, a good prospect and Carrick.

I still wouldn’t make that trade and give up those assets and not even get Karlsson out of it. If we are giving up that much, I want a signed Karlsson in return not Subban.
i don't think Subban is going to decline in the next year or three, but what about 5 years from now when Nylander is in his prime and Tavares is still hoping to have the best possible team around him? but yeah, it's not a smart trade for the Leafs whatever rationale you want to use

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Is that what Tavares said? I didn't know that. Do the Leafs have a better shot at winning with Subban minus Willy this year? How about next year and the years after...where do the odds turn in keeping Willy as the better option?
I think they can win in at least the next 4 years with Subban based on team balance. They don't need Willy as much as they do Subban.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I can't see the Leafs having any interest in Subban for 9m especially if it costs than Nylander and Grundstrom.
The Leafs would be 1000 times better off, signing a UFA like Ryan Ellis next summer and then getting assets back for Nylander if only for cap reasons.

And why do folks keep on believing what a hockey executive (or player) when he speaks to the media is true. What else is Dubas going to say about his players? "Yep, we are going to trade one of your stars for cap reasons, don't know when but for sure it's too happen." C'mon guys show a a little savvy when these guys speak.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Is that what Tavares said? I didn't know that. Do the Leafs have a better shot at winning with Subban minus Willy this year? How about next year and the years after...where do the odds turn in keeping Willy as the better option?
I think they can win in at least the next 4 years with Subban based on team balance. They don't need Willy as much as they do Subban.

I think the importance of D gets overrated a lot. The Preds has better defenseman than the Jets but ultimately could not beat them. The Jets had better defenseman than the Knights but ultimately could not beat them.

The Lightning had way better D than the Capitals but ultimately could not beat them.

I’d rather keep two top lines. The D will naturally get better with the removal of Komarov, Polak, Bozak and JvR. Defense isn’t just about defenseman. It’s a team effort.

The Leafs has better GA than the Caps, Pens and Lightning last year and it’s bound to get better. They will likely be a top ten team in GA/G next season without a single addition to the D from last season.

What they really need is Freddie to wake the f*** up in the playoffs and stop playing like it’s October.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I think the importance of D gets overrated a lot. The Preds has better defenseman than the Jets but ultimately could not beat them. The Jets had better defenseman than the Knights but ultimately could not beat them.

The Lightning had way better D than the Capitals but ultimately could not beat them.

I’d rather keep two top lines. The D will naturally get better with the removal of Komarov, Polak, Bozak and JvR. Defense isn’t just about defenseman. It’s a team effort.

The Leafs has better GA than the Caps, Pens and Lightning last year and it’s bound to get better. They will likely be a top ten team in GA/G next season without a single addition to the D from last season.

What they really need is Freddie to wake the **** up in the playoffs and stop playing like it’s October.
Sure,it is a team game and big names on paper can be a disappointment.
Presently, there is an active thread regards how terrible our RHD situation is. I can't disagree,it is not good. PK playing full time with Rielly has got to be an improvement. Have you considered the PP, it would be a nightmare for opponents. The leafs have been missing a weapon from the D forever it seems. I think Subban makes this team deadly and a bona-fide contender! Willy being replaced by another winger is not huge loss. Anyway ,I would do the deal,doubt it would ever go dowm though!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Yeah I think we need a defensive top 2 d-man. Subban is elite offensively but if we want a high offensive guy at the cost of turnovers; I'm fine with the lesser of Subban in Gardiner (if the cost for the upgrade is basically Nylander, Grundstrom, Carrick, 1st) That is insane. HARD no actually.

I don't. It would be nice, but I think we just need an exit beast.
Wait for Coburn next year maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad