Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread II - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Are you asking for a breakdown of these guys now? FYI, I know a lot of people who would choose Doughty over Karlsson. I am not sure why this is controversial. Karlsson wants Doughty money and I don't think he is worth it

I don't need a breakdown I have watched both a lot. Preferring Doughty over Karlsson is like preferring Toews over Crosby.

Karlsson is one of the most talented players to play the game. Doughty is an elite NHL defenceman.

There is a distinct gap in their talent levels.

Karlsson can do what Doughty can do. Doughty can't do what Karlsson can do.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Tampa getting karlsson would be pretty good. We know he cant play defense. To be called a defenceman you should be able to play atleast somewhat decently defensively. Karlsson legit makes me cringe. Go for it Tampa!
This is flat out wrong, but alright. You do you.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I don't need a breakdown I have watched both a lot. Preferring Doughty over Karlsson is like preferring Toews over Crosby.

Karlsson is one of the most talented players to play the game. Doughty is an elite NHL defenceman.

There is a distinct gap in their talent levels.

Karlsson can do what Doughty can do. Doughty can't do what Karlsson can do.
If you say so. I'm glad to see the mountain of evidence

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
ok

Answer to first and second question:
This is not thread that talks about how much of a god Karlsson is. If people say he is the best dman in the league, I have a right to disagree. This isn't a path in life. it is an opinion that I have used stats to back up. People are entitled to their opinion but they don't show any evidence
Answer to second question: I really don't want to respond to personal attacks. perhaps you should :faq:

You're dragging the thread off topic with spreadsheets about Doughty because you hate the Senators. You can't spin it another way.
It wasn't personal. I really wanted to know if you're as angry as Wendell is all the time.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Paul Coffey had a great take on this:

I’ll tell you one thing, a guy like Karlsson, not everybody can do it or they’d be doing it. No disrespect to anybody in the game or the way they play but the other side (playing well defensively) isn’t hard. It’s just commitment. Do you want Karlsson to stay back and be defensive or do you want him to play? You want him to play. That’s not easy. That’s a talent.

Offense is much harder than defense, and everyone can play the latter. That's why I cringe when people talk about "elite" shutdown defensemen. With an exception here and there, they're the elite of those who aren't good enough to play a two-way game.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
You're dragging the thread off topic with spreadsheets about Doughty because you hate the Senators. You can't spin it another way.
It wasn't personal. I really wanted to know if you're as angry as Wendell is all the time.
I hope the Sens get a haul for him. I prefer to see them get better. Hard to dislike them when they don't pose a threat

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Easier minutes? What an uninformative, biased, and definitely an idiotic comment to make. The guy is one of the leaders in minutes played against all comers in any situation sometimes playing nack to back or 4 min shifts.
Doughty plays more with higher QOC

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Define better though? Just saying someone is better doesn’t paint a picture..

And why even discuss it in this thread?
Am I not talking about the value of Karlsson? Am I in the wrong thread? Is this the Tampa is going to get him thread? Last I checked, Dallas was a front runner

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Paul Coffey had a great take on this:

Offense is much harder than defense, and everyone can play the latter. That's why I cringe when people talk about "elite" shutdown defensemen. With an exception here and there, they're the elite of those who aren't good enough to play a two-way game.

Wow, great quote. I’ve always felt this way about guys like Karlsson too. This is why I underrate guys like Ekholm, Vlasic, Edmundson, etc. I feel like the best way to defend is to have the puck on your stick and moving the opposite direction.

Chars is one exception. In his prime, he legitimately shutdown his entire half of the ice.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Tampa getting karlsson would be pretty good. We know he cant play defense. To be called a defenceman you should be able to play atleast somewhat decently defensively. Karlsson legit makes me cringe. Go for it Tampa!

In Swedish defensemen are called backs, which immediately exposes that argument as purely semantic. "To be called a back you need to be good defensively". Uh, why? As long as you're a better player than the guys at the other end you're a plus.

Not that Karlsson isn't good defensively.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
Am I not talking about the value of Karlsson? Am I in the wrong thread? Is this the Tampa is going to get him thread? Last I checked, Dallas was a front runner

So what is Karlsson to you? Top 5, top 10? Who should he be compared to when talking about contract? Hedman, Reilly, Doughty?

What are we really discussing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad