Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread II - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Why is the trade market for Karlsson so poor? You'd have to think that even as a rental he would return a significant haul, but here we are and only a few teams are interested and no one wants to part with a valuable asset. Did his poor performance last season on a dysfunctional Ottawa team hurt his value that much?

Likely trying to force Ryan into a deal while wanting full value for Karlsson.

Reactions: Seven0two

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
This process isn't dragging because interest is low. It's dragging because Ottawa wants the best return possible. Part of that is that they have to fight against the fact that other GMs feel they have the leverage since Karlsson wants out. Part of it is that the Sens are trying a sign-and-trade, which almost never happen. There's so much moving parts in a deal like that.

But, I think they MUST do it this offseason. Try it during the season, and it will end up like how St.Louis tried to do a sign-and-trade with Shattenkirk. Even worse, it probably ends up like Tavares. But, the offseason is still young, and for Karlsson GMs will put in the work to get him.

I feel like it’s dragging because Ottawa has no idea what it wants to do. They have too many forces pulling them in different directions.

Cutting salary (including Ryan), the PR nightmare of trading away your franchise player, making sure you don’t lose him for nothing, salvaging a good return to avoid further PR nightmares, and so on. I don’t think they have a clear focus or priority with this trade. They are all over the place and are either trying to accomplish all the above which isn’t going to happen or can’t decide what’s most important. I guarantee teams have presented various options and it’s a moving target.

Teams also know Ottawa is sort of stuck here. He’s not going to re-sign in Ottawa so they will be forced to trade him. No way they let him walk free without getting something. Ottawa’s only hope is a bidding war but teams are cautious to overpay for what could very well be a rental.

All of the above makes this deal beyond complicated.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I feel like it’s dragging because Ottawa has no idea what it wants to do. They have too many forces pulling them in different directions.

Cutting salary (including Ryan), the PR nightmare of trading away your franchise player, making sure you don’t lose him for nothing, salvaging a good return to avoid further PR nightmares, and so on. I don’t think they have a clear focus or priority with this trade. They are all over the place and are either trying to accomplish all the above which isn’t going to happen or can’t decide what’s most important. I guarantee teams have presented various options and it’s a moving target.

Teams also know Ottawa is sort of stuck here. He’s not going to re-sign in Ottawa so they will be forced to trade him. No way they let him walk free without getting something. Ottawa’s only hope is a bidding war but teams are cautious to overpay for what could very well be a rental.

All of the above makes this deal beyond complicated.
I agree. I think some are framing it as Ottawa simply "negotiating" but I don't think it is nearly that organized or focused.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I agree. I think some are framing it as Ottawa simply "negotiating" but I don't think it is nearly that organized or focused.

Agreed. I guarantee some of the teams involved are very frustrated. I’m not even sure it’s Dorion’s fault either. Ownership seems to be playing a significant role in this which just complicates it further.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Agreed. I guarantee some of the teams involved are very frustrated. I’m not even sure it’s Dorion’s fault either. Ownership seems to be playing a significant role in this which just complicates it further.
Yeah, I can't remember who it was but some report or whatever indicated that teams were frustrated by Ottawa "moving the goalposts" and some people defended the Sens saying that it was just negotiating.

There are negotiations in every trade, free agent signing, extension, whatever, and not many of them get the phrase "moving the goalposts" thrown around with them.

Regardless of what anyone thinks Ottawa might get or might try to get, there is clearly some wonky stuff going on more than just negotiating to get the best package.

Reactions: SharksAddict

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Remember that half of the players salary is taxed based on the home state. The other half is taxed depending on where they play (each different state). So there are definitely some savings. Using the entire salary when talking about the state income tax % is misleading.
I think the player can deduct the "jock tax" from their state tax in full, so they don't end up paying it double. So it shouldn't really increase the total amount of taxes paid.

Except maybe in cases where your home town doesn't collect state tax, then you have nowhere to deduct from.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I thought he will have been moved by now. Expecting it. Just don't see a way he returns to Ottawa.
Agreed. I understand the Sens fans who want him to just wait and try to get a contender to overpay at the TDL, but after everything that has happened it would just be too weird to bring Karlsson back with that team next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agreed. I understand the Sens fans who want him to just wait and try to get a contender to overpay at the TDL, but after everything that has happened it would just be too weird to bring Karlsson back with that team next year.
It is unfortunate. The Hoffman events just capped it off IMO of him returning. I am sure he values Ottawa's fans but moving on seems to be the right thing to do here. Atleast Ottawa has a chance to recoup assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad