Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread II - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
The Stars are my team and when I jumped online earlier all of a sudden they were back on top of possibly getting him. Then I saw Kucherov was signed.

I’m just waiting for Karlsson to be moved, to whoever now, and head towards next season.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
If you had Karlsson for your run last year you'd have won the cup, of that I have no doubt.

It's going to be awesome when whoever gets Karlsson will realise what Sens fans got to know watching him night in, night out.

Karlsson going to Tampa and leading them to multiple cups should give him the recognition he's deserved for years.

It's hard to believe a player of his stature is underrated... but he really is.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Yzerman would have to move some pieces to make the cap space work, but as many have stated, there are a bunch of contracts coming off the books after this season and other players that could be traded. A bunch have NTC's but some of them are modified NTC with trade/no trade lists so there are possibilities.

It may look crazy, but I remember people saying that we'd never fit Stamkos or Hedman under the cap. Or Kucherov. People keep saying the TBL have cap problems, but Yzerman always seems to come up with a way to work things out that doesn't require us to completely gut our team to meet cap.

He's certainly NOT perfect (Matt Carle contract anyone???) but for the most part, in Yzerman We Trust. :D

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I hate the whole "unstoppable" nonsense.

We got embarrassed by the Caps last year. And the Pens the last run.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I hate the whole "unstoppable" nonsense.

We got embarrassed by the Caps last year. And the Pens the last run.
Yzerman has been looking to fill the black hole that is a puck moving RHD for 5 years now. Our transition game is not good. Caps trapped us in our zone like a JV team.

That's why he wants Karlsson. He's probably super pissed after what he watched in the ECF last year. All that he built for the past 5 years to get WORKED like that by the Caps had to hurt.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Lol hf.... every other fan base says leafs are in cap trouble and cant sign our three young guys but for tampa, they will have no problem wit cap if karlsson signs with them lol...

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
They’re just young. Hischier will be getting a lot stronger in the next couple of years and I still believe Zacha can be a good 2C. I get the concerns with him but he’s still so young.

Essentially, giving up Santini and Boqvist for Tyler Johnson and Ryan Callahan is a fair deal and it doesn't break the bank to get a legit 2C who can play 1C minutes if need be. Additionally, you still have picks, McLeod, Quenneville, Zetterlund, Bratt, Anderson pand others to acquire a Defenseman.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Tampa was supposed to be unstoppable last year....

Spoiler: they were stopped.
Cleveland beat Golden State once.

I mean, everybody calls us the Golden State Warriors of the NHL, we have to start winning every year to live up to that expectation, don't we? ;)

Also, who said they were unstoppable? Did you see the run Tampa Bay had right before the playoffs? Pretty sure everybody said we wouldn't go very far. :laugh: Man, people have really short, selective memories don't they?

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Yzerman has been looking to fill the black hole that is a puck moving RHD for 5 years now. Our transition game is not good. Caps trapped us in our zone like a JV team.

That's why he wants Karlsson. He's probably super pissed after what he watched in the ECF last year. All that he built for the past 5 years to get WORKED like that by the Caps had to hurt.

I really don’t think losing a fluky game seven counts as being worked. That’s just hockey.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Why is the trade market for Karlsson so poor? You'd have to think that even as a rental he would return a significant haul, but here we are and only a few teams are interested and no one wants to part with a valuable asset. Did his poor performance last season on a dysfunctional Ottawa team hurt his value that much?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Why is the trade market for Karlsson so poor? You'd have to think that even as a rental he would return a significant haul, but here we are and only a few teams are interested and no one wants to part with a valuable asset. Did his poor performance last season on a dysfunctional Ottawa team hurt his value that much?

He got off to a rough start because he was coming off a serious injury and didn’t have a long off season. He was much better in the second half.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I have to believe Ottawa is banking that his value won't be any different if they trade him now as a rental or at the deadline as a rental, till then they will wait to get full value for him(ie him extending)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This process isn't dragging because interest is low. It's dragging because Ottawa wants the best return possible. Part of that is that they have to fight against the fact that other GMs feel they have the leverage since Karlsson wants out. Part of it is that the Sens are trying a sign-and-trade, which almost never happen. There's so much moving parts in a deal like that.

But, I think they MUST do it this offseason. Try it during the season, and it will end up like how St.Louis tried to do a sign-and-trade with Shattenkirk. Even worse, it probably ends up like Tavares. But, the offseason is still young, and for Karlsson GMs will put in the work to get him.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I think it'd be a mistake by the Sens to try to force Ryan into the equation, if that is what is happening.

I get that they want to get out of his contract and this is potentially the only way to do it, but man if you are trading a guy like Karlsson you need to try to get the best package you can get of real pieces, not cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad