Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread II - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Not sure what you think i'm getting at here...all i am saying is with offers where they are, i wish Toronto would get involved.
You're saying the offers are bad because guys like Point and Sergachev aren't being offered, and I'm simply trying to see how much of your CORE you're willing to include for a non extended Erik Karlsson?

SENSability

Oct 13, 2017
I've stayed away from posting in any and all of the trade threads for Karlsson because I honestly don't know much about the other teams and how much their players are worth. But, the one thing that stays with me during all this is that I don't think Karlsson wants to go anywhere. That being said, I think his hand is being forced because he does not want to play for Melnyk.

I believe if Melnyk would sell, Karlsson would play out his days in Ottawa, as he loves the city, married an Ottawa girl and really doesn't want to be anywhere else. It's possible he doesn't want to sign an extension, because he's hoping that Melnyk will sell. Then it would be a no-brainer for him.

If he doesn't sign an extension, he could help some team this year and come back home to the Sens next year. Or, he could play out this last year of his contract in Ottawa in the hopes that Melnyk will come to his senses and sell the team and he won't need to go anywhere at all.

Maybe I'm living in a dream world. :)

Reactions: pown

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Interesting he still says expected trade. Am I reading too much into this? I'm so sleepy. I might be hallucinating Karlsson updates at this point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah how ridiculous of Ottawa to think they could get a blue chip prospect for Erik freaking Karlsson.

If teams are offering B prospects and picks, might as well keep him until a team comes to its senses and realizes acquiring arguably the best defenseman in the game is worth giving up a top prospect.

They get what they get from the highest bidder. If that's not TB, it's not TB. But when you don't have the option to keep him (like Ottawa), you're forced to take the best offer out there. It would be different if you had the option to keep him. His value to OTTAWA isn't even crazily high right now because he's not going to play there either way.

So let's stop talking about blue chippers all over the place. That would be true if a team were trying to pry him away from a team he planned to play with. Because what Ottawa giving up is not 9 years of Erik Karlsson, even if that's what the other team is getting. What Ottawa is actually giving up is one year of a player who doesn't want to be there. So their only hope is to get several teams into a bidding war.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Time to lower the expectations on the return. Ottawa is not getting a blue chip prospect. Picks and B+ prospects are the best you are getting. There is no guarantee he is signing an extension and as such you can’t expect to get the top prospects from teams who are not sure he will be there long term.

Yeah, anyone have any 4th liners or aging veterans they want to trade? Maybe a 6th or 7th round pick or two?

Honestly, this thread is hilarious. I know people love to take advantage of teams when they smell blood, but this is getting a bit crazy.

Ryan McDonagh got a good return from Steve Yzerman with no extension. Erik Karlsson is 10x the player that McDonagh is and you'd be getting him for a full year at minimum. He should be able to fetch a blue chip prospect, a 1st, and more assets on that alone.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
They get what they get from the highest bidder. If that's not TB, it's not TB. But when you don't have the option to keep him (like Ottawa), you're forced to take the best offer out there. It would be different if you had the option to keep him. His value to OTTAWA isn't even crazily high right now because he's not going to play there either way.

So let's stop talking about blue chippers all over the place. That would be true if a team were trying to pry him away from a team he planned to play with. Because what Ottawa giving up is not 9 years of Erik Karlsson, even if that's what the other team is getting. What Ottawa is actually giving up is one year of a player who doesn't want to be there. So their only hope is to get several teams into a bidding war.
This makes alot of sense when you think about it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, anyone have any 4th liners or aging veterans they want to trade? Maybe a 6th or 7th round pick or two?

Honestly, this thread is hilarious. I know people love to take advantage of teams when they smell blood, but this is getting a bit crazy.

Ryan McDonagh got a good return from Steve Yzerman with no extension. Erik Karlsson is 10x the player that McDonagh is and you'd be getting him for a full year at minimum. He should be able to fetch a blue chip prospect, a 1st, and more assets on that alone.

If we're not offering Sergachev, we must be offering Foote. Otherwise I don't see how our offer would compete with Dallas and Vegas's.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Yeah. If EK won't sign an extension, they aren't getting anywhere near that caliber of player. Point was never an option, but Serge likely was. Yzerman won't deal that kind of player for a guy that could potentially leave at the end of the season.

I still believe that Karlsson eventually plays in TB, but I think it's after he signs here next year. I don't see Yzerman trading for him right now with all that's been said today in regards to closeness of a deal/extension possibilities.

Yeah, Yzerman would need more time to negotiate a deal with Karlsson.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017

UXZfCI8.gif

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

McDonagh had term, of course he got a good return. Erik Karlsson will get a return, but I'd really pump the brakes on those expectations if he's not willing to sign an extension. You'll get a return slightly above a high value rental player at the deadline if he's dealt before the season. If he's open to extensions, then you're looking and blue chip level players.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

McDonagh wasn't a UFA. Tampa could have sold McDonagh a year later at the deadline if needed. McDonagh would have gotten much less being a UFA.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

Looks like Tampa is not the front runner anymore

Dallas SJS and Vegas all still involved

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
One way for Ottawa to up his value for his final season is to retain 50%. That's worth a lot right now with a full season left, but not so much at the TDL. That's the only way I see them pulling max value.

Reactions: BigCanadian

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
EK will get his 12M$ contract unless it's Tampa. He wants to play with his bud.

If Doughty still had his teeth and used a proper shampoo, he still wouldn't be close to the marketing value of EK. Not every fan is an alcoholic male.
Doughty is the best defenseman in the league

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
With all these meh updates, I wonder if it is still as simple as the Lightning having the best offer but needing a third team to take $$$.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Rangers looking like geniuses for the McDonagh trade right about now
I wouldn’t go that far, they traded their 1D along with Miller and were unable to get any blue chippers out of Tampa. For contrast, Duchene, who was coming off of a 40 point year (McDonagh, a defensive defenceman, outscored him), who publicly requested a trade, and had the exact same term as McDonagh (with a lower AAV) somehow returned a greater package. And that’s without factoring in Miller, another player who outscored Duchene. Just because Ottawa might get really bad value for Karlsson, doesn’t mean McDonagh also didn’t get bad value. Regardless of how he played after the trade, at the time of the trade he was considered a 1D by pretty much everybody, was only 28, was coming off a great year, and had term at a great cap hit. IMO they absolutely needed to get more than they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad