Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread II - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicVinegar

Realtor/Bodyguard
Sep 28, 2017
The worse Ottawa does the higher their later round picks are. If their goal next season is to make sure Colorado doesn't end up with a lottery pick they'll also be hurting themselves.

The 32nd overall pick is still a pretty damn good pick.
Yep, that pick is a sunk cost.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Per Elliott Friedman, Tampa apparently not offering Point or Sergachev. If Dorion gives in, they end up with Stamkos, Kucherov, Point and D of Karlsson, Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev???
God dam, i know people are going to accuse me of making this about the Leafs...i'm not, but i wish we could get involved here...if the offers are so bad....how can another team not up the ante?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Per Elliott Friedman, Tampa apparently not offering Point or Sergachev. If Dorion gives in, they end up with Stamkos, Kucherov, Point and D of Karlsson, Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev???
Yeah. If EK won't sign an extension, they aren't getting anywhere near that caliber of player. Point was never an option, but Serge likely was. Yzerman won't deal that kind of player for a guy that could potentially leave at the end of the season.

I still believe that Karlsson eventually plays in TB, but I think it's after he signs here next year. I don't see Yzerman trading for him right now with all that's been said today in regards to closeness of a deal/extension possibilities.

Reactions: MendelMu

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
except as has been proven and confirmed by many people here, he has been spot on with nearly everything the past few weeks

well i was referencing the Subban thing specifically that I heard on local radio it was so obviously a ploy for attention that it's my current impression of Pagnotta

other than his Subban comments I really haven't followed any of his predictions so kept it to what i had heard

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
Sens fans are still in the denial/reasoning stages of grief here. The only player with NO leverage of any sort in this situation is Pierre Dorian.

Yes, we all agree that Karlsson with an extension should be worth a blue-chip prospect. However, there is zero chance that any teams are offering a blue-chip prospect, and Karlsson holds all the cards in his hand, even if he does want to sign an extension with Dallas or Tampa. Would Karlsson rather play on a team WITH Sergachev or Heiskanen, or without? That's a simple one to answer, and Karlsson can ensure that happens by refusing to discuss a contract extension prior to the trade.

On the other hand, Sens fans are committing to a major fallacy by stating that they can hold the player until the TDL. What does that accomplish? An attempt to spite the Avs by finishing slightly higher in the standings? One errant skate to the back of of the heel over the first 50 games, and you get nothing in return for a valuable trade asset. You can push this out another couple of months, but the organization gains little and risks everything by having Karlsson on the roster on opening night.
Does he have less leverage than other teams with UFAs next year?
Seguin, Bobrovsky, Rinne, Panarin, Pavelski, Wheeler....
At least Ottawa will have the cap space to sign Karlsson. Just need to find an owner with some money. Other teams may not be able to fit their guys under the cap.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
God dam, i know people are going to accuse me of making this about the Leafs...i'm not, but i wish we could get involved here...if the offers are so bad....how can another team no
How much of your core (because Point and Sergachev are core in TB) would you be willing to give up for Erik Karlsson with no guarantees beyond he will play for you for one season?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm tellin ya. Dorion thinks he'll be able to squeeze a contender at the deadline or a bit earlier.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
God dam, i know people are going to accuse me of making this about the Leafs...i'm not, but i wish we could get involved here...if the offers are so bad....how can another team no

I'm a habs fan - but I absolutely encourage you to make this all about the Leafs.

Because I agree with you 100%. So many people here are undervaluing Karlsson big time. Karlsson signed has arguably more value than Sergachev and Point combined - and some Tampa fans think it's not worth to give up either one lol. If the offers are this bad - i'm sure the Leafs can come up with something better...

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
A GM with hair on his balls that over extended his reach by offering to pay 13M per year allegedly for Tavares and struck out.

Good luck.

Yeah you’re right. Tampa Bay is totally for sure 100% gonna get Erik Karlsson and nobody else has any chance. Just like Tampa Bay was totally for sure 100% going to get him at the deadline and just like they were totally 100% going to win the Stanley Cup, according to you.

Reactions: branch

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How much of your core (because Point and Sergachev are core in TB) would you be willing to give up for Erik Karlsson with no guarantees beyond he will play for you for one season?

Part of the trade will be a sign & trade. ie he signs for 7 years (or 8 if that's allowed). So the point is moot.

ex:

Team A offers players XYZ
Ottawa says yes
Team A gets to negotiate with Karlsson an extension.

If Karlsson says yes - trade is a GO
if he says no - trade is cancelled.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If Tampa is only going as high as Foote, i would start with Liljegren and add.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Part of the trade will be a sign & trade. ie he signs for 7 years (or 8 if that's allowed). So the point is moot.

ex:

Team A offers players XYZ
Ottawa says yes
Team A gets to negotiate with Karlsson an extension.

If Karlsson says yes - trade is a GO
if he says no - trade is cancelled.
Except it's being reported EK isn't interested in signing an extension right away, so no. This isn't how it will happen.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
If Tampa is only going as high as Foote, i would start with Liljegren and add.
Liljegren is not your core. I didn't ask how many prospects you'd add. I said core. Point and Sergachev are core in TB. Not prospects. Of course they're not going to offer them for an EK that won't sign an extension immediately. Those are pieces you get for term.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I'm a habs fan - but I absolutely encourage you to make this all about the Leafs.

Because I agree with you 100%. So many people here are undervaluing Karlsson big time. Karlsson signed has arguably more value than Sergachev and Point combined - and some Tampa fans think it's not worth to give up either one lol. If the offers are this bad - i'm sure the Leafs can come up with something better...

It's worth giving up some, but not if he comes with no extension. You don't give up the best center on your team and an up and coming young defenseman for one season of Karlsson. You just don't. If you did, he's already be traded.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seems like Ottawa is in pretty deep ..... here with Karlsson.

Top3 player in the World, who should never be available and sounds like the return won't be anything amazing, if they get anything at all.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Yeah you’re right. Tampa Bay is totally for sure 100% gonna get Erik Karlsson and nobody else has any chance. Just like Tampa Bay was totally for sure 100% going to get him at the deadline and just like they were totally 100% going to win the Stanley Cup, according to you.
The difference between me and you is that I am responding to idle chatter that someone actually typed out.

Whereas you are just pretending like I am saying things. Go ahead and show me where I said Tampa is 100% getting him, and were 100% going to win the cup. Go on, I'll wait.

Please don't tell me you're confusing confidence with a fool proof guarantee. I hope you've got some quotes saved, otherwise you'll be searching through a lot of my posts. God speed.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Yeah, he is the same idiot who was the first to report Tavares to TOR, as well as the first to report the exact AAV for Couture, Doughty, and now Maroon

he was red hot with his PK Subban predictions on Montreal radio what a hot scoop that was guess he needed some airtime to promote the website with that one

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
I mean that is a haul with an option for a potential top pairing dman who's play styles are v similar add a first add a 3rd and a young solid prospect who played well at the end of the season. So yes I think it is a pretty large haul.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Time to lower the expectations on the return. Ottawa is not getting a blue chip prospect. Picks and B+ prospects are the best you are getting. There is no guarantee he is signing an extension and as such you can’t expect to get the top prospects from teams who are not sure he will be there long term.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Liljegren is not your core. I didn't ask how many prospects you'd add. I said core. Point and Sergachev are core in TB. Not prospects. Of course they're not going to offer them for an EK that won't sign an extension immediately. Those are pieces you get for term.
Not sure what you think i'm getting at here...all i am saying is with offers where they are, i wish Toronto would get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad