Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
If the holdup is just finding cap space for Karlsson, Tampa could easily do that by moving Coburn who has positive value. My guess is Ottawa is insisting they find a place for Bobby Ryan as well. That makes it way way way more difficult to do.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If Jamie Benn were to waive for Ottawa, fair to say Sens fans would take that instead of focusing on prospects and picks, no?

If it were up to Sens fans, Karlsson wouldn't be traded for anything short of McDavid.

And there's no way Melnyk would accept a trade for Benn given his high salary (and insane bonus structure).

So it's an (extremely) moot point.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If the holdup is just finding cap space for Karlsson, Tampa could easily do that by moving Coburn who has positive value. My guess is Ottawa is insisting they find a place for Bobby Ryan as well. That makes it way way way more difficult to do.
I feel like they should do the deal without both. Let them both be responsible for moving their crappy contracts on their own. They dont need to be mutually exclusive with the Karlsson trade.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Oh I completely agree,I was just trying to point out the obvious nonsense that Mr.Roy keeps trying to push out...We arent giving up EK to TB if Cal Foote a late 1st and another throw in is their final offer...
Definitely. I agree......

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I feel like they should do the deal without both. Let them both be responsible for moving their crappy contracts on their own. They dont need to be mutually exclusive with the Karlsson trade.

The only way Ottawa is moving that Ryan deal is attached to Karlsson though. We can't find a taker for him otherwise (or it would have been done already).

It sucks for everyone involved, but if Melnyk is insisting on dumping Ryan's deal it will have to be at the expense of a great return for Karlsson.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If it were up to Sens fans, Karlsson wouldn't be traded for anything short of McDavid.

And there's no way Melnyk would accept a trade for Benn given his high salary (and insane bonus structure).

So it's an (extremely) moot point.

Didn't they just offer Karlsson an extension for more money than Benn makes?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Didn't they just offer Karlsson an extension for more money than Benn makes?

Would have more to do with the bonus structure than the AAV, imo.

But if he's not willing to give Karlsson ~1/1.5 million more a season then they offered I don't see why he'd make a move for a worse player at a less important position (not a knock on Benn, he's fantastic).

Reactions: Warm Cookies

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Unlike you Sens fans I have consistently supported my position with logical points. You geniuses can’t do anything more than ad hominem attacks and meaningless catchphrases about how Karlsson is “the best defenseman since Orr” and should return McDavid+++. I’m going to enjoy watching your beloved franchise fall to pieces as mine continues to be among the best in the NHL.:thumbu:

You'd think of all the teams to have pity for us going through these terrible ownership issues that Tampa would be near the top of the list (Barrie/Koules/Japanese group). But alas, here we are.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Typical returns for a top flight rental at trade deadline is a #1 and #2 pick. So TB offer has to be more than that right now but that is weighted against knowledge that EK could very well sign with TB next July. Sergachev (by himself is worth a #1 and #2 pick) and if you throw in either Miller or Johnson, then Ott is getting a return far and away better than what they should logically expect. This fantasy that TB would include both Serg and Foote is ridiculous.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The only way Ottawa is moving that Ryan deal is attached to Karlsson though. We can't find a taker for him otherwise (or it would have been done already).

It sucks for everyone involved, but if Melnyk is insisting on dumping Ryan's deal it will have to be at the expense of a great return for Karlsson.

Just think its not logical to do it that way. If you cant trade him as a sole contract, how are you supposed to get somebody to take his contract and the large contract of Karlsson? If the Sens are dead set on doing it this way, I dont see a deal getting done and Karlsson may walk as a UFA.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Why is Kathryn Tappen the only one with news wtf...not really news but still.

Also, like I said before, sounds like a done deal with Tampa as soon as they find a way to make space but no one wants to help them

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Just think its not logical to do it that way. If you cant trade him as a sole contract, how are you supposed to get somebody to take his contract and the large contract of Karlsson? If the Sens are dead set on doing it this way, I dont see a deal getting done and Karlsson may walk as a UFA.

There's nothing logical about what the Senators are doing right now. You're not wrong btw, but we (Sens fans) have to live within the current reality, which seems to be tanking Karlsson's value to move money off the roster and (presumably) be a cap floor team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Typical returns for a top flight rental at trade deadline is a #1 and #2 pick. So TB offer has to be more than that right now but that is weighted against knowledge that EK could very well sign with TB next July. Sergachev (by himself is worth a #1 and #2 pick) and if you throw in either Miller or Johnson, then Ott is getting a return far and away better than what they should logically expect. This fantasy that TB would include both Serg and Foote is ridiculous.
Yep,thats fine...You have the right to guage what you think your pieces are worth,just as we have the right to diagree

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
4 team trade proposal.

To Ottawa: Sergachev, Foote, Raddysh
To Tampa: Signed Karlsson
To NYR: Panarin, Ryan, Hogberg
To CBJ: Johnson, Tychonick, 2019 3rd (Columbus')

Why they do it.
Ottawa: Gains 3 good players young player.
In: Sergachev, Foote, Raddysh
Out: Karlsson, Ryan, Hogberg, Tychonick, 3rd

Tampa: They get a signed Erik Karlsson without losing point.
In: Karlsson
Out: Tyler Johnson,

NYR: They get Panarin without giving up any assets and gain a solid Swedish goalie prospect .
In: Panarin, Ryan, Hogberg
Out: Nothing.

CBJ: This is the hardest for them, they lose Panarin but the compensation is pretty fair.
In: Tyler Johnson, Jonathon Tchonick (48th overall selection in 2018 draft) Columbus' 3rd round pick returned.

Thoughts?

I mean... great... from NYR perspective and all... but can a team legally trade nothing for something? Seems unlikely.

Reactions: The Macho Man

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
You'd think of all the teams to have pity for us going through these terrible ownership issues that Tampa would be near the top of the list (Barrie/Koules/Japanese group). But alas, here we are.
I think most fans do sympathize, but that doesn't mean we want our GM to make unwise trades. That's not his job. Most fans on this board agree the trade will return Sergachev (which IMO is best case scenario in a deal between the two teams). The outliers are just that and shouldn't be given much attention, but here we are. People feeding the trolls like they always do and then crying foul.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
There's nothing logical about what the Senators are doing right now. You're not wrong btw, but we (Sens fans) have to live within the current reality, which seems to be tanking Karlsson's value to move money off the roster and (presumably) be a cap floor team.

It's so stupid, if Ottawa trades Karlsson to TB and gets a nice haul for him then they can use a lesser piece from that trade and a decent prospect of their own that they already have to add to Ryan and boom some team would take him I think. Then TB trades Coburn for now as that's all we really need to do to fit Karlsson in now. Then we trade another guy or two next year when we need to fit in Karlsson and Kuch. It's really not rocket science.

Pulpfishin

Apr 11, 2018
I'm a Tampa fan and totally understand what you're saying here. Bad ownership is such an infectious disease to a franchise. I feel for the Ottawa fans because it seems the only way to fix this is an ownership change and that doesn't happen easily.

Reactions: stempniaksen

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's so stupid, if Ottawa trades Karlsson to TB and gets a nice haul for him then they can use a lesser piece from that trade and a decent prospect of their own that they already have to add to Ryan and boom some team would take him I think. Then TB trades Coburn for now as that's all we really need to do to fit Karlsson in now. Then we trade another guy or two next year when we need to fit in Karlsson and Kuch. It's really not rocket science.
Yeah I dont think Ryan is involved,there is no way any trade with TB would make any sense...You guys just dont have the cap,to facilitate such a massive cap dump....

Reactions: CupsOverCash

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Agree to disagree on that one. I think if Bobby's deal could be moved without sacrificing EK (or at the very least tanking his value) it would have been done already.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Agree to disagree on that one. I think if Bobby's deal could be moved without sacrificing EK (or at the very least tanking his value) it would have been done already.

I just think it would be harder/more complicated to get a team to take 2 contracts on. Pricey ones at that. At least one that Karlsson wants to re-sign with. What a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad