Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
TBL will be in cap hell if they get Karlsson, I don't think it's a smart move
I'll be honest, I can live with that if it means having Erik Karlsson on our team.

Plus I think our cap situation isn't as bad as some people make it seem.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I'll be honest, I can live with that if it means having Erik Karlsson on our team.

Plus I think our cap situation isn't as bad as some people make it seem.

Right now it’s tight but manageable; add Karlsson (especially at the expense of a good chunk of our top young, cheap talent) and it’s a completely different story.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
"Cap hell" well if you spend your cap on shit players then its sure is hell.

Reactions: markog

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Ask Chicago fans how that’s been working out for them since all those huge contracts kicked in.

I’m not conversant with Chicago’s recent signing history. Were some of those massive contracts pre-Cups? If so, then ask them if they would trade a couple bad years of cap hell against a couple of championships? I know what I would pick.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I’m not conversant with Chicago’s recent signing history. Were some of those massive contracts pre-Cups? If so, then ask them if they would trade a couple bad years of cap hell against a couple of championships? I know what I would pick.

Nope, those contracts kicked in post-Cups. They haven’t been serious contenders since. Which is precisely why the Lightning would do well to avoid their fate, especially considering that this group of players has yet to win a championship.

Reactions: ThunderAlleyNomad

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Well they were no.1 in West in regular season in 16/17 and than everything fell apart.
What is a GM to do? Team wins 3 cups = core has to get big money and term. This core is done ( save for Kane ) as there are too many hard miles on their bodies ( even Keith ) to leave enough gas to make another run. Time for a retool ... or wait until Seabs and Toews at least are off the books!

Reactions: GoBluz24

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Nope, those contracts kicked in post-Cups. They haven’t been serious contenders since. Which is precisely why the Lightning would do well to avoid their fate, especially considering that this group of players has yet to win a championship.

That’s what I was wondering.
I don’t know. I certainly wouldn’t be unhappy getting EK, I also don’t want to give away the farm. That being said, I have my doubts that this current group of players is ever going to win a championship. I don’t know if it’s coaching, on-ice leadership, or what. But what’s going on now, it ain’t working.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
What is a GM to do? Team wins 3 cups = core has to get big money and term. This core is done ( save for Kane ) as there are too many hard miles on their bodies ( even Keith ) to leave enough gas to make another run. Time for a retool ... or wait until Seabs and Toews at least are off the books!

I didn't mean any bad I just said they were no. 1 in West 15 months ago. Of course they have to pay them, Seabrook on the other hand - that was the big mistake, his contract and play killed everything.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
With Tampa already having a number 1 and great depth in Stralman and McD I don’t think its necessary to give up forward depth or prospects for a position you don’t need. Or get into a cap space crunch because of it either. Better to get another depth damn that’s a 3-6 and save the money.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Right now it’s tight but manageable; add Karlsson (especially at the expense of a good chunk of our top young, cheap talent) and it’s a completely different story.
Have to get rid of Killorn if they get EK. Callahan only a short term problem which will be fine even if he isnt willing to go somewhere else his last year or both of his contract years. Palat or Johnson are likely gone aswell but they will fetch good returns so thats not an issue except that they have a ntc

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Ask Chicago fans how that’s been working out for them since all those huge contracts kicked in.

Small difference that Tampa is good at Scouting Chicago are not the best, We have such a deep Prospect pool.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They have though 1 elite player making huge money, they have Toews/Seabrook bringing the team down with their money.

Tampa is one of the deepest teams and no one on that roster even today is making Toews money.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
cap hell due to having too many elite players is quite different from cap hell due to too many bad contracts on mediocre players.
Yeah if Erik Karlsson is the reason you're in cap hell then you're probably fine.

Additionally, we probably overuse the term cap hell. Lacking cap flexibility isn't the same as cap hell when most of your good players are locked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad