Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That’s what I was wondering.
I don’t know. I certainly wouldn’t be unhappy getting EK, I also don’t want to give away the farm. That being said, I have my doubts that this current group of players is ever going to win a championship. I don’t know if it’s coaching, on-ice leadership, or what. But what’s going on now, it ain’t working.

That can change. Bolts seemed to be a little “soft” to me. Not in playing style specifically, but more between the ears. It’s the exact same malady that the Caps lived with for a few years, before they didn’t.

It can live and live and live.....and then be gone in an instant. I’m not sure Karlsson helps that. He just adds more pressure. Which Tampa seemed to feel last year, as the hunted. Getting Karlsson would remind me of Caps 2016. Which ended to the usual suspects. And too early.

I like Karlsson a lot. I’m just worried he’s a fools gold circus for a team like Tampa, which really doesn’t need more of that.

Or they could add him and get 130pts in RS and steam roll everyone on their way to 2019 glory.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tampa does not need Karlsson to be a contender and win a cup, they have a very good team, and they need their Top 6 to stop turning into a pumpkin at the 11th hour. Really hope Karlsson just goes to like Dallas and ends this sweepstakes. Heard it’s nice over there.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Tampa does not need Karlsson to be a contender and win a cup, they have a very good team, and they need their Top 6 to stop turning into a pumpkin at the 11th hour. Really hope Karlsson just goes to like Dallas and ends this sweepstakes. Heard it’s nice over there.

Yzerman needs Karlsson so he can make Tampa great again.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Have to get rid of Killorn if they get EK. Callahan only a short term problem which will be fine even if he isnt willing to go somewhere else his last year or both of his contract years. Palat or Johnson are likely gone aswell but they will fetch good returns so thats not an issue except that they have a ntc

Here's the crux of it: the players whom Yzerman would have to deal to make cap room can just say "Nuh uh" to stay with the SuperFriends. If you're Ryan Callahan, would you waive to be dealt to Montreal, for example?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
Input from a Hawks fan...the Hawks haven't won since those contracts because of a huge decline in the play of our core, not because cap hell has kept us from giving said core a good enough supporting cast. They've done a solid job drafting good young players to plug into complimentary roles, but for some reason people like to act like the contracts destroyed the team and that if Toews and Seabrook made a little less money and they had one or two traded players back on the roster they'd be a contender again, which is nonsense.

Having too many good players is a good problem. Our 2010 team got ripped to shreds for that very reason but they put it back together and won two more cups (because the core was still elite, unlike right now). If Yzerman is as good of a GM as this place says he is, he'll figure it out and make it work.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
That can change. Bolts seemed to be a little “soft” to me. Not in playing style specifically, but more between the ears. It’s the exact same malady that the Caps lived with for a few years, before they didn’t.

It can live and live and live.....and then be gone in an instant. I’m not sure Karlsson helps that. He just adds more pressure. Which Tampa seemed to feel last year, as the hunted. Getting Karlsson would remind me of Caps 2016. Which ended to the usual suspects. And too early.

I like Karlsson a lot. I’m just worried he’s a fools gold circus for a team like Tampa, which really doesn’t need more of that.

Or they could add him and get 130pts in RS and steam roll everyone on their way to 2019 glory.

Yeah, to think Karlsson automatically gets Tampa a Stanley Cup is a big mistake, it certainly puts even more pressure on the whole organization to win it tho. Hockey is not basketball, where the most stacked teams always win. Tampa lost for many reasons but lack of talent isn't one of them. Size in the top 6, the mental approach in key situations or even coaching are undoubtedly more suspicious IMO. I'd nearly bust a nut to see Karlsson in a TBL jersey, but my head says it's a bad idea to give away the farm for him, because it feels like trying to cure a bad cold with Imodium.

That being said, a free agent Karlsson is a different story.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Yzerman needs Karlsson so he can make Tampa great again.

2dkhma.jpg

2dkhma

Last edited:
Reactions: markog

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Here's the crux of it: the players whom Yzerman would have to deal to make cap room can just say "Nuh uh" to stay with the SuperFriends. If you're Ryan Callahan, would you waive to be dealt to Montreal, for example?

But when that happens can’t that precipitate a big of a team rift? Some people trace the downfall of the Sens to the point at which Phaneuf refused to waive and the team suffered by not being able to ice the right personnel as a result.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Yeah, to think Karlsson automatically gets Tampa a Stanley Cup is a big mistake, it certainly puts even more pressure on the whole organization to win it tho. Hockey is not basketball, where the most stacked teams always win. Tampa lost for many reasons but lack of talent isn't one of them. Size in the top 6, the mental approach in key situations or even coaching are undoubtedly more suspicious IMO. I'd nearly bust a nut to see Karlsson in a TBL jersey, but my head says it's a bad idea to give away the farm for him, because it feels like trying to cure a bad cold with Imodium.

That being said, a free agent Karlsson is a different story.

Vegas did well and they weren't at any point considered a contender. As long as they don't touch Karlsson, they really won't be discussed as a contender next season either. I'm pretty sure the pressure would kill some of the magic that made the team work.

Reactions: The Green Unit

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
But when that happens can’t that precipitate a big of a team rift? Some people trace the downfall of the Sens to the point at which Phaneuf refused to waive and the team suffered by not being able to ice the right personnel as a result.

I don't put a lot of stock in that conjecture because it would be the height of hypocrisy for players to point the finger at a fellow player with an honestly-negotiated NTC/NMC who decided to use it. And even if that scenario happened, that's Yzerman's issue, not Callahan's (or other non-waiving player).

Put yourself in Callahan's shoes. He's a 12-year NHL veteran who has been with the Lightning for 4 years and a bit, has never won a Cup and has all the decision-making power to make $5.8 million for the next 2 years with one of the leading Cup contenders. He can't be threatened with demotion to the AHL, and the savings from buying him out (~$3.1 million for next 2 seasons) would still necessitate a significant shedding of cap by Yzerman ... and the add $1.5 million for the 2 seasons after. I'll go out on a limb and say that living in Florida is pretty nice, too. Who is going to get in his face about waiving for the good of the team?

I use Callahan as the poster boy for this. Other options carry their own set of problems.

Yzerman has the serious challenge of trading for a franchise player from a nightmare team, and all of the players representing the cap savings he needs have a Get Out of Ottawa Free card. Unless a team with reasonable Cup aspirations is involved in the deal, like Las Vegas, this is going to be a tough one to solve.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't put a lot of stock in that conjecture because it would be the height of hypocrisy for players to point the finger at a fellow player with an honestly-negotiated NTC/NMC who decided to use it. And even if that scenario happened, that's Yzerman's issue, not Callahan's (or other non-waiving player).

Put yourself in Callahan's shoes. He's a 12-year NHL veteran who has been with the Lightning for 4 years and a bit, has never won a Cup and has all the decision-making power to make $5.8 million for the next 2 years with one of the leading Cup contenders. He can't be threatened with demotion to the AHL, and the savings from buying him out (~$3.1 million for next 2 seasons) would still necessitate a significant shedding of cap by Yzerman ... and the add $1.5 million for the 2 seasons after. I'll go out on a limb and say that living in Florida is pretty nice, too. Who is going to get in his face about waiving for the good of the team?

I use Callahan as the poster boy for this. Other options carry their own set of problems.

Yzerman has the serious challenge of trading for a franchise player from a nightmare team, and all of the players representing the cap savings he needs have a Get Out of Ottawa Free card. Unless a team with reasonable Cup aspirations is involved in the deal, like Las Vegas, this is going to be a tough one to solve.
Which is why ,there is no deal with TB...We need good roster players in return in any package involving EK and TB cant provide them

Reactions: BernieParent

JC0720

Jul 5, 2018
Seems like everyone wants EK, but nobody wants to pay the price. The reality is there are a couple of teams, if that, that EK could put over the top. I'd love to see him in a Stars jersey, but it won't bring the cup to Dallas. Nill being smart with the wallet, signing a top 6 forward, filling a few small holes elsewhere could at least make them a playoff team. As we all know, anything can happen in the playoffs. I'd rest easier knowing Dallas was completely out of the EK conversation.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Which is why ,there is no deal with TB...We need good roster players in return in any package involving EK and TB cant provide them

I don't know about "can't" but it sure seems like an uphill climb to make it happen for Yzerman, or if it makes sense to gild the lily of his current roster. Heck, what if he just adds Orpik for, say, $3 million over 3 years, as a solid 2nd-3rd pairing defenseman with a shiny new Cup ring?

But I am getting off topic.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't know about "can't" but it sure seems like an uphill climb to make it happen for Yzerman, or if it makes sense to gild the lily of his current roster. Heck, what if he just adds Orpik for, say, $3 million over 3 years, as a solid 2nd-3rd pairing defenseman with a shiny new Cup ring?

But I am getting off topic.
Yep iam thinking Ottawa would be better off right now just pulling him off the market,and just waiting until the TDL when there will be more teams that would be willing to make an offer even as just a rental

Reactions: BernieParent

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Flashbacks to the Duchene trade on this. We all know it's going to happen, just a lot of delaying the inevitable. Plus I'm sure like with the Duchene deal we're gonna be shocked on the return, not in a good way though. With it being Tampa as the likely destination, I can imagine we're going to be saying "that's it?!"

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Yep iam thinking Ottawa would be better off right now just pulling him off the market,and just waiting until the TDL when there will be more teams that would be willing to make an offer even as just a rental

I don't understand this logic just because I can't think of one superstar rental who ever got a return package that turned out to be worth a damn. It never works out for the team trading the star player. I think they should deal him now, they already have limited leverage, every day they wait they lose a little bit more of it.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Flashbacks to the Duchene trade on this. We all know it's going to happen, just a lot of delaying the inevitable. Plus I'm sure like with the Duchene deal we're gonna be shocked on the return, not in a good way though. With it being Tampa as the likely destination, I can imagine we're going to be saying "that's it?!"
Probably but why do we have to move him this disappointing return now??There will be likely comparable offers at the TDL ,and we get at least until then to try and stay out of the basement with EK on the team....After all what are we really missing out on right now Cal Foote??Iam sure we can live with this

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't understand this logic just because I can't think of one superstar rental who ever got a return package that turned out to be worth a damn. It never works out for the team trading the star player. I think they should deal him now, they already have limited leverage, every day they wait they lose a little bit more of it.
Unsure as to why you think taking a shit offer now ,based on what one team wants to give ...Or waiting until there are more teams that would likely offer the same or a bit more as rental,shouldnt be the play for us??Added value for EK playing for us until the TDL in his F/A year in which he wants to get his money

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Probably but why do we have to move him this disappointing return now??There will be likely comparable offers at the TDL ,and we get at least until then to try and stay out of the basement with EK on the team....After all what are we really missing out on right now Cal Foote??Iam sure we can live with this

I don't think waiting out is gonna make a difference when it comes to trading with Yzerman. I would not want to play poker with that man.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So we either take crap and move EK right now,or we wait and likely take a little worse maybe the same crap later,and we get to have EK play for his dollars until the TDL likely keeping us from bottoming out and coughing up a top 5 pick to COL.....Humm wonder which one makes more sense to do if you are us??

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't think waiting out is gonna make a difference when it comes to trading with Yzerman. I would not want to play poker with that man.
Couldnt care less about him ,he wants him and is willing to pay an acceptable price,or we wait until the TDL and we call up Toronto and see if they want EK as a rental....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad