Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'm not hating on Burns and 3/4 of the way through the season he was the Norris favourite but he slowed way down and Karlsson began his resurrection as a dominant offensive force.

Burns is also much more of a rover than Karlsson is now...can appreciate both but still favour Karlsson.

That said he is making his rep by dominating the playoffs. He has has already had several magic moments and is proving he can take the team on his back.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not hating on Burns and 3/4 of the way through the season he was the Norris favourite but he slowed way down and Karlsson began his resurrection as a dominant offensive force.

Burns is also much more of a rover than Karlsson is now...can appreciate both but still favour Karlsson.

That said he is making his rep by dominating the playoffs. He has has already had several magic moments and is proving he can take the team on his back.

The Norris is a regular season trophy isn't it?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It sure is.

I was just commenting on Karlssons game overall including his current tour-de-force in the play-offs.

Still think Karl was better in regular season too.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
The Norris is a regular season trophy isn't it?

All of these stats are from the regular season.

Burns points per game: 0.9268
Burns shot blocks per game: 1.7317
Burns takeaways per game: 0.65
Burns giveaways per game: 1.87
Burns average time on ice: 24:52
Burns short handed time on ice per game: 1:43

Karlsson points per game: 0.9220
Karlsson shot blocks per game: 2.6103
Karlsson takeaways per game: 0.77
Karlsson giveaways per game: 1.38
Karlsson average time on ice: 26:50
Karlsson short handed time on ice per game: 2:09

The difference in points per game is negligible. Karlsson had almost an extra shot block per game. Karlsson took the puck away from opponents more AND had it taken away from him less. Karlsson played more minutes each game, and Karlsson spent more time on the PK, playing against other team's best offensive threats in a purely defensive aspect. I can dig up the powerplay stats too if you like, but just gonna say it now that EK had more PP points and we had a higher PP%, meaning that EK was better against others teams best defensive players in a purely offensive situation too.

Karlsson is the more complete player, and can do anything Burns can do better.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The award is supposed to go to the best d-man of the season, not "close to the best of the past few seasons."

Then again, Doughty was Due, so hey, whatever. :shakehead Personally, if it doesn't go to Karlsson, I think Hedman deserves it more than Burns.

Writers/Media types vote on it so who knows how that would go... I really like all 3 of them. If I had a pick to play on my team Hedman vs Burns... I'd go Hedman... but I think Karlsson gets it.. and yes I know its a regular season award.... I also think Karlsson should have won it last year. Doughty was not a terrible choice

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Writers/Media types vote on it so who knows how that would go... I really like all 3 of them. If I had a pick to play on my team Hedman vs Burns... I'd go Hedman... but I think Karlsson gets it.. and yes I know its a regular season award

That's the thing that still confuses me, really. Why does the media vote on best defenseman? Why don't they vote on something more their speed, like "most entertaining game" or something that the media might actually know about. "Player who gives the best interviews" maybe?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's the thing that still confuses me, really. Why does the media vote on best defenseman? Why don't they vote on something more their speed, like "most entertaining game" or something that the media might actually know about. "Player who gives the best interviews" maybe?

Agreed there... I'd like to see coaches or players or gms vote on it vs the PHWA ... where goof balls like Simmons and Cox determine the outcome. You get swirl happening in the media and it influences the votes

PHWA members vote for the following seven National Hockey League (NHL) individual awards: Hart Memorial Trophy, Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, Calder Memorial Trophy, James Norris Memorial Trophy, Conn Smythe Trophy, Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, and Frank J. Selke Trophy
(from wikipedia)

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
The funniest thing to me if Burns wins is that he literally played forward a few times this year.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Man I cannot wait to have Thomas Chabot.

Seeing Charlie McCovoy made me wish we had a guy with that talent in our second pairing and then it hit me, we do!!!

Perhaps even a better one.

I can't wait to have him on our PP with EK

And in 2 years playing 27 mins a night on the second unit.

Imaging when we will be abke to have either him or EK on the ice for 52-55 mins per game...

Could be special.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This is on the main board :laugh:

BR7WSMp.gif

Anidalife

Nov 16, 2007
Anyone else think his bringing to another level in the playoffs is being overblown a bit by people who don't really watch sens games normally? I thought he was his normal dominant self who also happened to make a few ridiculous passes. And he also was noticeably slower too. Through no fault of his own of course.

I just think his 3 passes made everything look good for others when sens fans know he's really always been this good.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Anyone else think his bringing to another level in the playoffs is being overblown a bit by people who don't really watch sens games normally? I thought he was his normal dominant self who also happened to make a few ridiculous passes. And he also was noticeably slower too. Through no fault of his own of course.

I just think his 3 passes made everything look good for others when sens fans know he's really always been this good.

Of course. We are used to it. It's the rest of the league's fans (and media) who are just taking note of it because it is on the playoff stage. Most NHL fans don't care about nor watch Sens games, so it's funny to see everyone now saying he is unquestionably the best D in the league when we have been saying it for a few years now and getting called out as homers and fanboys for it.

Habs fans knew what was up because we played them so much. But now everyone else is cluing in.

That said, he has taken his leadership to a whole other level this year, and most of all these playoffs.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bert, are you claiming that you have a source that you can not/will not reveal and that he has told you that Erik is out for 4-6 weeks with a broken foot?

Please tell me this was a bad April fools joke

Nope like I have said before he is best friends with one of my good buddies. People ripped me on here when I brought up the fact he had two fractures in his foot. Now it comes out. I wouldnt have just made it up. However I am also not going to throw my friends under the bus. Its absolutely ridiculous that he not only played but played so well. He is a freak of a human being.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa

Yep.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So I don't know when or where this was reported exactly... but radio guys today were saying that Karlsson's playing with 2 stress fractures in his heel?
I mean, we all knew he was playing on one foot already but I didn't think the specifics were ever released?

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
So I don't know when or where this was reported exactly... but radio guys today were saying that Karlsson's playing with 2 stress fractures in his heel?
I mean, we all knew he was playing on one foot already but I didn't think the specifics were ever released?

Yeah, Karlsson told the media yesterday. 2 hairline fractures in his left heel

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Relax with the Orr comparisons. Yes he's great, but lets see him do this to one of the leagues toughest.

https://youtu.be/aA89fuARoiI

If the only criticism of comparisons to Bobby Orr you can come up with is him not having a fist fight with a guy, then I'd say EK is looking pretty good.

Also, in that video one of Orr's team mates is clearly grabbing the back of Quinn's jersey and pulling him away from Orr during the fight. Looked like Orr was losing util he got a hand from a buddy, so *shrug* Not the best example of him being tough. If someone if grabbing the back of your shirt and pulling on it while a guy in front of you it trying to feed you his hands, it makes things pretty hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad